• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

Just picked up the Insignia 39" 1080p LED 60 Hz for $249.99 + tax - $20 for AMEX sync with FS. I started to order the Sceptre 40" for $279 from NE, but I think this is a better deal. It's not the Toshiba 40" for $179, but I don't have to stand in line before midnight, either.

Best Buy
See Best Buy discounts that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Insignia 39" LED HDTV (32.99kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Don't pay attention to the picture in the QS - according to BB site, only ONE YEAR WARRANTY

After reading the specs, and cross-referencing with the picture, it seems that the specs on BestBuy's site are somewhat misleading. This TV DOES NOT have separate component and composite jacks. It has ONE set of component, that doubles as a composite video-in. It also DOES NOT have a separate DVI port, even though the specs mention two HDMI and a DVI. The TV uses one of the HDMI as the DVI.

Ports:
- 2 HDMI (1 normal, 1 for DVI-to-HDMI conversion -- uses headphone jack for PC audio output)
- 1 Headphone jack (for audio input/output -- can't remember which)
- 1 Optical audio out
- 1 VGA (D-sub)
- 1 set of Component/Composite (shared)

This is a cost-reduced TV, probably specifically-made for BF.

Box includes:
- Remote with 2 AA batteries
- Power cord
- Manual
- Styrofoam
- NO HDMI, component, composite or other cables
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

pretty good deal without lining up overnight

Bought one at 3 am this morning.

Two 5 Watt speakers create a lush landscape, lol.

Do different mfg's make different Insignia models?

Ordered mine @ 4am.
I got up and just looked at what was available. It's not a great deal. But it beats waiting in a line in the cold or with crazies.
And I got my shipping confirmation @ 9pm.

Sold out, of course..

What is the AMEX Sync?

svenkirk said:   Ordered mine @ 4am.
I got up and just looked at what was available. It's not a great deal. But it beats waiting in a line in the cold or with crazies.
And I got my shipping confirmation @ 9pm.

I think you pay a price premium for LED backlighting and (less so) 1080p. The one that I was considering over this was the TCL 42" 1080p LCD (not LED-backlit) on Amazon for $179, but I had trepidation over not being able to return it to a B&M if there are issues, and I've read that Insignia-branded panels aren't bad.

It's supposed to arrive later today, so I'll post how it looks/sounds.

My set arrived on Tuesday and I hooked it up yesterday. Unfortunately, I have a vertical line of dead pixels about 3" from the right side of the display. Would people exchange at BB or call for service? According to Insignia's website, it looked to me like Geek Squad services these in-home ... is that right?

I didn't spend a lot of time tinkering with video settings and have only looked at online streaming video, but the PQ definitely isn't as good as my 5-year-old Sharp Aquos 46" ... granted, I paid a lot less for this one.

Audio is fine for normal television watching -- again, not as good as on my Aquos -- but you'll definitely want to pump it to external speakers for cinematic viewing (although that's true of most sets).

Edit: On a brighter note, it's a lot more energy-efficient: 75W, which is less than half what my Aquos takes.

Hoogineer said:   My set arrived on Tuesday and I hooked it up yesterday. Unfortunately, I have a vertical line of dead pixels about 3" from the right side of the display. Would people exchange at BB or call for service? According to Insignia's website, it looked to me like Geek Squad services these in-home ... is that right?
Please keep us updated on how that goes, and what the procedure is for repair. I just got mine in the other day, haven't unboxed it. Now I'm a little afraid to. There were some minor dings in the box. Hopefully, it wasn't damaged.

I have had this TV since April. No problems, decent picture and sound, not the same as my 50" Panasonic Plasma, but good enough for the bedroom. I paid $350 for mine. For the first time ever, we did stand in line before midnight for BB to open. Yes, we were going for the Toshiba. It took us 20 mins. to get in the doors and by then they were gone. Did get the Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Tab 2, and a Galaxy S 3, though. So, my husband and daughter went out Black Friday and came home w/ this set for $299.00. Purchased the service contract in case it dies.

According to the clerk at BB (FWIW ha!) Insignia can be made by any of the vendors BB uses. The one with the lowest bid gets the job. When I was searching back in the spring, the Insignia on display caught my eye because of it's vivid, clear picture.

I just got mine in the other day, haven't unboxed it. Now I'm a little afraid to. There were some minor dings in the box. Hopefully, it wasn't damaged.
There were some noticeable dents on the lower corners of the box. But there was no damage on the contents. Lots of styrofoam in there.

Mine looks pretty good. I just set it up on a mount in a Ikea entertainment center on its side, due to space limitations. It barely fit in there, with less than half an inch to spare.

I recieved mine yesterday. Box looked good. Set looked good out of packaging. Hooked it up. Plugged it in.....Totally busted. Rainbow colors and no pic. Brought it back to BB and they ordered me another. I personally would check them even if they are going under the tree.

Dead, $399 now

VirtuaL said:   Hoogineer said:   My set arrived on Tuesday and I hooked it up yesterday. Unfortunately, I have a vertical line of dead pixels about 3" from the right side of the display. Would people exchange at BB or call for service? According to Insignia's website, it looked to me like Geek Squad services these in-home ... is that right?
Please keep us updated on how that goes, and what the procedure is for repair. I just got mine in the other day, haven't unboxed it. Now I'm a little afraid to. There were some minor dings in the box. Hopefully, it wasn't damaged.

I'm just going to return it; since someone else posted that s/he had a new one ordered as a replacement, that's probably the best option. I saw this deal on a similarly spec'd Samsung during the week and decided to jump on it, although I haven't picked it up yet. It's another $172 (plus tax on that), but at least I should be able to count on brand reliability.

I finally unpacked my TV and set it up. No damage/defects that I can see... other than a design issue.

Most computer monitors, once you turn them "on", will go to sleep if you computer goes into monitor sleep mode (cuts display output off), and then wake up once there is a signal present. For whatever reason, this TV, will display "Signal not present" for a while, when the HTPC hooked up via HDMI goes to sleep. Then the TV shuts itself off, if that screen is on too long. It WILL NOT power the screen back on, once there is a signal present again (HTPC wake up out of monitor sleep mode). I have to manually hit the power button on the remote to get it to come back on again.

That means that this screen is basically not a very good choice for a HTPC.

I am currently using an older Westinghouse 720P 32" LCD TV hooked up to my main HTPC, and I have no problem sleeping and waking the monitor.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014