• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Pioneer 6 Ohm 80 Watt Bookshelf Loudspeaker Pair @ Newegg - $40.00
was $99.99
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Pioneer 6 Ohm 80 Watt Bookshelf Loudspeaker Pair
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

1) I'm not an audio pro, but I dont think I've heard of 6 ohm speakers, only 4 or 8 ohm.

2) I wonder how these compare to the Infinity Bookshelf speakers that are on sale regularly? Example

I have the Infinity P353 Tower speakers for fronts and am looking to build it out to a 5.1 setup.

One review of the Pioneers is largely positive, for whatever that's worth. At $40 a pair shipped, they're probably worth a blind buy. Worst case, you've got a gift for the next teenager in the family to have a birthday, right?

I just got some of these and they are very good. I prefer them for movies to the Insignia's that have a ton of praise on here and on audio forums (the insignias just do not project wide enough or far enough well so they are great as a pair for something like a computer but no so great for other things.) Most receivers can handle 6 ohm just fine (and is far less taxing than 4 ohm).

These are amazingly good speakers. I own a pair of these, as well as their big brother the bs41s. The 41s replaced infinity's small bookshelf, which was decent but no where near as good as these pioneers for critical listening. This is also a fantastic price. There is nothing that competes with these at this price. High quality components with first rate design by a very accomplished designer. Obviously the 41s have better bass, and are larger, and also on sale. I can't recommend them highly enough. Also great metal grills to protect the drivers. You're going to have to spend over $300 a pair too get anythingcomparable. There is no comparison with the insignias which are cheap components stufed in a cheap box rather than carefully designed audiophile speakers. If you have any need for good bookshelf speakers, don't hesitate. They are an amazing bargain.

dumb question....these aren't powered right?

Oh, and anyone that buys speakers by specs like power rating and impedance knows NOTHING about speakers. 4 ohm is an easy load. Just ignore that nonsense. It has nothing to do with quality. You can drive these with a 15 watt t-amp to fairly loud levels, and there would be no problem whatsoever using a more powerful amp. I would not recommend less than 15 watts, however. I own quite a few inexpensive bookshelf speakers (sort of a strange hobby over the years), so ask if you have questions.

Right not powered. You need an amp.

dealbuy said:   Oh, and anyone that buys speakers by specs like power rating and impedance knows NOTHING about speakers. 4 ohm is an easy load. Just ignore that nonsense. It has nothing to do with quality. You can drive these with a 15 watt t-amp to fairly loud levels, and there would be no problem whatsoever using a more powerful amp. I would not recommend less than 15 watts, however. I own quite a few inexpensive bookshelf speakers (sort of a strange hobby over the years), so ask if you have questions.

So I picked up a set, and really I just need a real basic receiver? to power them, and I can get an appletv/airport express to shove audio over them via AirPlay. Any recommendation on what to use to power them and basically just act as a passthrough?

Yes, basic receiver or integrated amp and you're good to go. On the low end, something like the $16 Lepai would work.

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/d...

These are surprisingly good sounding for the price, but of course build quality is poor (cheap push pins for binding posts, etc). I have not actually heard the lepai, but I have several T-amps, which are very similar (without the bypassable tone controls). Also, you cant play too loud because it's at the bottom of the power rating. Would be good for a very good sounding extreme budget desktop system or small room. There are lots of better quality amps like Topping, Airmotive mini-x (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57405240-47/emotivas-sweet-sou... etc.

If you want a radio, possible use of a sub, input switching, then a receiver is the way to go, and the better quality the better it will sound. You';; give up some sound quality with a receiver, but you get features and more power.

Spending more for a better amp will not be wasted on these speakers. They are really good.

I'm using the bs21s with a sub and a really good sounding panasonic receiver that is no longer made, and they are stunningly good sounding. I'm using the bigger bs41s in my office with a $200 Nuforce amp, and I can't get enough of it.

So, be more specific about your needs, and I'll try to help with suggestions.

Resin: My detailed reply is being reviewed for some reason (maybe links?) Look at the Lepai lp2020A+ on Amazon, but don't buy until you read my entire post because there may be better alternatives for your needs.

I'm still waiting for the other reply to make it through moderation, but the LP-2020A looks like what I need. It just needs to sit on a bookshelf behind some books and provide some power for the speakers, no tuner/receiver necessary. I honestly didn't know you could just buy an integrated amp that cheap. It should be perfect. Thank you, I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me out.

It's the message above - got posted when I was writing the second one. The speakers are rear ported, so it will be best if you have some space (few inches) behind the speakers so that they can push air. Let us know how they sound. It is amazingly cheap for this level of sound quality.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.