• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
According to MacRumors, they expect that Garmin will be reducing the following navigation Apple Store apps for Friday, but those prices are not live, yet:

- NAVIGON iOS USA ($49.99->$24.99) * Apple Store Link, LIVE!
- NAVIGON iOS North America ($59.99 -> $29.99) * Apple Store Link, LIVE!
- NAVIGON iOS MyRegion ($29.99 -> $14.99) * Apple Store Link, LIVE!
- StreetPilot Onboard USA ($49.99 -> $24.99) * Apple Store Link, LIVE!
- StreetPilot Onboard North America ($59.99 -> $29.99) * Apple Store Link, LIVE!

Hmmm... it's past midnight on the East Coast, and the Black Friday Garmin prices haven't gone live, so here are all the other offers featured on MacRumors

EDIT: Black Friday Prices are now online!!!
☆☆☆ It's Black Friday! - Get the app 50% off - only today. ☆☆☆

Apple Store
Need a Apple Store coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

App Store
Thanks byakuya07
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why would anyone buy a Garmin iOS app when they can use the amazing built-in Apple Maps app for free?

ubermichaelthomas said:   Why would anyone buy a Garmin iOS app when they can use the amazing built-in Apple Maps app for free?Especially with the added sense of adventure when getting directions from it!

or download google maps

ubermichaelthomas said:   Why would anyone buy a Garmin iOS app when they can use the amazing built-in Apple Maps app for free?
exactly! with the voice navigation now in iOS6, utility for these apps has gone down

I've had Navigon for years, and the built-in Apple Maps doesn't compare. It's a decent fill-in for those who don't want to pay for one, but it can't replace a full featured GPS app. I've tried using the new turn-by-turn in iOS 6, and it wants me to turn in the middle of a road, where there is no road to turn on. It's still too glitchy.

Rob9874 said:   I've had Navigon for years, and the built-in Apple Maps doesn't compare. It's a decent fill-in for those who don't want to pay for one, but it can't replace a full featured GPS app. I've tried using the new turn-by-turn in iOS 6, and it wants me to turn in the middle of a road, where there is no road to turn on. It's still too glitchy.

Been using iOS6 maps since last one month and never have any issues. Now I don't need to use built in navigator in my Lexus.

LOL, if you think iOS 6 "Maps" are comparable to Navigon you are a fool. Navigon stores all maps on the device for starters, no need for an internet connection. It also has a plethora of other features the native turn-by-turn in iOS 6 does not. Now to be clear, I use both, but only Navigon is reliable when cellular data is unavailable or very limited. It's easily the best $50 I ever spent, and I've used it for about 3 years or better now. I can't tell you with 100% certainty the data they use is better than the native client but I would not be surprised.

With the apps the maps are on your device so you don't need wifi or cellular while driving. The apps have better driving displays, spoken directions and and additional features. I use the TomTom app only my iPad.

Do you get updated maps with the app? My son uses Mapquest on his iPhone but obviously the maps are not stored locally with that.

if you don't want to spend money on app and can't stand iOS's default maps (and turn by turn), check out Waze.

I don't know if it stores maps on the phone, but because its community based, I do know when to expect cops. It's pretty smart to know when to re-route you if the shortest and usually fastest route is congested.

OK, this has finally gone LIVE!!!

Black Friday prices are up, see OP.

Update to Navigon has nerfed the app for iPhone 5 users.

Newest update to StreetPilot has added adds to the app even though you're paying $25-50.

I've had Navigon North America for the past 2 years (iPhone 4 then iPhone 5) and I love the app. Reliable directions always. I didn't play with the built in stuff in iOS 6 but when I did it was underwhelming for me. Plus some of the addons for Navigon are nice.

Not sure what was "nerfed" in the latest update but I haven't had any problems myself. I'd say its well worth $30 ... I bought it for that price years ago. Plus with yearly map updates (so far) it's been a great deal.

What are the differences between Navigon and Street Pilot?

Ted2002 said:   What are the differences between Navigon and Street Pilot?

Same question. Which is better?

jhapki said:   

Been using iOS6 maps since last one month and never have any issues. Now I don't need to use built in navigator in my Lexus.

I also have absolutely no problem with the new Map in iOS 6.0. A regular Garmin GPS is still a must. I was on vacation in a rural area recently and data connection was almost nil which made the iPhone useless as a GPS device.

Still on the fence whether to jump in. I have a regular GPS that works really well, not sure of the added benefit of having it on my iPhone. I guess convenience might be worth it.

hkgfnt said:   jhapki said:   

. A regular Garmin GPS is still a must. I was on vacation in a rural area recently and data connection was almost nil which made the iPhone useless as a GPS device.

My iPad has a GPS antenna built in and with an app that downloads maps it works without wifi or cellular just like a dedicated GPS. that's one reason to use an app that downloads all of the maps on the device.

Too bad this sale doesn't apply to in app purchases like traffic...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.