• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Diablotek DA Series PSDA600 600W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply
Thanks zimphella
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why not....

Apparently out of stock, though it looks like it's available until you try to add to cart.

..and now the product page itself shows out of stock too

Would YOU trust a $14.99 "600W" PSU" LOL!

Edit: At least one person wants to burn out their computer and burn down their house. Have at it, man, it's only a savings of a few dollars, for less peace of mind.

Edit: If you're on the edge of buying this, google some "Diablotek PSU review"s. They're not pretty. This is the company that released a "1000W" PSU, that burned up outputting something like 400-500W. So in actuality, this is probably a $15 200-250W PSU.

Virtual, if I posted a deal about edible underwear you would post there wasn't enough fibre in it !

The only power supplies I've seen burn up are from idiots who never dust out their machines and ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN A STOCK ONE !

And technically it's a $30 one...

VirtuaL said:   Would YOU trust a $14.99 "600W" PSU" LOL!

Edit: At least one person wants to burn out their computer and burn down their house. Have at it, man, it's only a savings of a few dollars, for less peace of mind.

Edit: If you're on the edge of buying this, google some "Diablotek PSU review"s. They're not pretty. This is the company that released a "1000W" PSU, that burned up outputting something like 400-500W. So in actuality, this is probably a $15 200-250W PSU.

Buying cheap power supplies is definitely false economy. That's all I'm saying.

When it comes to power supplies, quality is important. Stick with Antec, SeaSonic, SilverStone, Corsair, Enermax, Enhance, and a small number of others. AVOID RaidMax, PowMax, CoolMax, and DiabloTek. Also probably Apevia.

SithMaster said:   The only power supplies I've seen burn up are from idiots who never dust out their machines and ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN A STOCK ONE !
Not true. Dell OEM PSUs are actually quality units. Better quality than a DiabloTek, because they actually put out their rated wattage, for the most part.

And "cheap" PSUs (like this DiabloTek) tend to burn up/burn out when loaded to their rated wattage, because they are really just cheaper, weaker, and over-rated PSUs. The problem is, they tend to take out your hardware when that happens.

Your statements prove your ignorance about power supplies.

Build Quality Summary

The overall build quality of the Diablotek PHD650 is bad. By "bad" we mean awful. And by "awful" we mean, "Who the hell put a 650W label on this unit?" and "What were they smoking?" The exterior of the unit is nothing special but the huge sticker covering the majority of the unit is ugly, to say the least. When we move to the interior the unit really falls apart though with its older topology, single layer PCB, atrocious secondary, and horrible component choices. The capacitor selection features LCZ primaries and BH secondaries and are selections we would not want to see in any power supply, ever. The build quality section of this unit is on the short side today since the build quality is a lot on the short side, and three pages of "total crap" over and over and over again would probably look like an introduction from The Simpson's.

Let's move on and see what happens when we actually hook this power supply up to the SM8800 load tester, which honestly is something I look forward to, but Kyle does not since he had to pay to fix the $5000 load tester when crappy PSUs help me blow it up.

From a DiabloTek PSU review:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/17/diablotek_phd650_650w_...

More from that review:
120v Load Testing Summary

It kind of goes without saying that the Diablotek PHD650 is a giant steaming pile of crap. The PHD650 is a bad 300 watt power supply, let alone a "650 watt" power supply. One of the things you see with most power supplies is a peak of efficiency around 50% load and a decline after that. If we assume this to be true, then this unit really is a poor 300 watt power supply dressed up as a 650 watt unit as the efficiency peaked at 80.81% in Test #1 and declined to 79.64% in Test #2. Sure we don't have any data points beyond that, due to the unit fully failing and all, as these values are recorded at the end of the 30 minute test but when the unit was switched on in Test #3 it was doing ~75% efficiency. The voltage regulation was not quite as tragic, yet anyway, as the unit saw a drop of 0.16v on the 12v rail from Test #1 to Test #2. The minor rails saw drops of 0.07v (5v rail) and 0.05 (3.3v rail) while our exhaust temperature peaked at 49C. All in all, this was an awful power supply at 120v so things aren't likely to get better at 100v.

For the record, the PSU being reviewed is a different model than that of the OP's deal, but it is representative of the level of "quality" that goes into DiabloTek PSUs in general.

Virtual, please go away. I have 2 Diablotek DA units running in the room beside me. I took a multimeter to them and they are running perfectly within spec, perfectly running my equipment (yes, I'm crazy, I always check my power supplies with a multimeter at low and high loads). I've had 2 out of my 3 Diablotek PSUs work great. One is 2.5 years old and on 24/7. The other has been off-and-on for the past 6 months. The third was another free-after-rebate unit that performed in-spec, but the capacitor made a buzzing sound at high load that was more annoying than anything (tests revealed operating frequencies outside of FCC-allowed range and sound emitted just inside of hearing range that made the dogs in the room go crazy - check out my review on amazon about my possessed unit - note that this unit uses a much nicer capacitor than the 250 one).

You are correct that there are better PSUs out there - get those if you want or need to. I'd trust these Diablotek units with my most sensitive, expensive equipment. They will fail before they overload the hardware they are powering, sacrificing themselves before the more expensive components. And they operate in-spec with a modified sine wave (good for battery backups).

You are also correct that these will not operate at spec wattages, which I concede is a good point that anyone wanting to buy a PSU should be aware of.

Just got my rebate...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014