rated:
www.crashplan.com

Discount starts at 100% then goes down.

Member Summary

Crashplan (12.46kB)
Thanks MVP9596
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This is what I did for three computers in my house. Just used a unique email for each one - bam, free family plan!

coolbreeze (Nov. 24, 2012 @ 10:28a) |

Here's the answer on when this key starts (i.e. can you sit on it for, say, 6 months, activate, and get a year). The ans... (more)

coolbreeze (Nov. 24, 2012 @ 10:50a) |

VERY HOT DEAL!
I have been using the free version of crash plan between two computers and it has worked flawlessly. Even ... (more)

Devil2U (Nov. 24, 2012 @ 5:42p) |

In for the family plan! Thanks!

Oh... even though it says it is a few bucks, for the first two hours it is actually free... When you check out it doesn't charge you anything on the credit card, and there is a checkbox to disable auto-renewal.

says 98% off, but still charged 0.00

nice

New accounts only

I already had an account but it let me sign up for a new one.

Site hammered... cannot checkout

Got one as well. Clicked on $2.88 Family Plan and it came up $0.00 as well. Be sure to uncheck the Automatic Renewal Option at the bottom of the page. Don't know if I will take advantage of it, but now this is an option. I wonder if you could treat it as cloud storage and access from your cellphone as well.

When got to the website, saw 00:00:00 in a few seconds it went to 88:59:59. Then went through registration just fine. Requires Credit Card, but you can uncheck automatic subscription at the bottom.

My first BF deal this year!

Lol I think they 'crashed' Site is overwhelmed

Please check back in a few minutes...
CrashPlan.com is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance. Our apologies for this inconvenience.

For technical support e-mail us at support@crashplan.com

site back up. 98% or $1.20

Thanks, got in at $1.20

Site says 98%, but got charged $2.88
Good deal, just to try the service. Always intrigued about the use of something like this.
How can I figure out how secure my information will be?

It seems it backups whatever files you have in a user specified folder. Then you can restore the whole folder to any other computer (or external hard drive or mobile device). It has a tab for "Friends". Hmmm... gotta start testing...

Duhh! In the rush of getting in at 98%, I didn't read that it was $1.20 for one computer, OR $2.88 for unlimited family computers. Feel much better.

Thanks OP.

not bad for family plan but how much will renewal be?

Thanks, I had to pay 1.20 for first year.

rigor said:   not bad for family plan but how much will renewal be?

Something like $120 if you renew the same plan.

bping2 said:   ...

Read their FAQ on security:

FAQ: Security

If you decide to use the private password functionality your data should be very secure, even if their infrastructure becomes compromised.

On the other hand if you do not use that feature your data could be possibly compromised if they ever get hacked.

In for one. Thanx FW.

Great deal. Family plan for $2.88, turned off Auto-Renew. Only have two PCs right now, but I'll pay the extra $.48 to manage both from one account. Thanks OP!

In for 1 computer. The price goes up every 2 hours until it finally settles in at a 42% discount. Good deal for a trial year.

bping2 said:   rigor said:   not bad for family plan but how much will renewal be?
Hopefully there will be discounts available. I'm in for $2.88.

tigi said:   bping2 said:   ...

Read their FAQ on security:

FAQ: Security

If you decide to use the private password functionality your data should be very secure, even if their infrastructure becomes compromised.

On the other hand if you do not use that feature your data could be possibly compromised if they ever get hacked.

Whenever you use a private key password, use the most random, long password it allows. Print this, write it to a CD, and store both in your safe or deposit box. The longer and more random the password, the more difficult it is to crack. Give the finger to the NSA.

Hmm.. seems like the family plan is a single userid and password, which means that if I have my kids computers backed up, they will be able to access my files. I guess I could enable the private data password for my machine and not enable it for the others.

Nice find OP. I have about 1TB of stuff on a NAS server that needs another backup place.

I have had it for a year, I bought it when it was 2 years for $ 50. I put it on all my pc's at the house and family outside. You can password protect access to the console once its setup to keep little billy from messing it up.

I actually have a client who uses it on his work computers (and a server) and it works great (he has used it to restore some smaller chunks of files). So overall its good. The client is also great for creating your own private cloud backup between friends

I'm in at the $2.88 rate -- son signed up to backup his Linux-based NAS for $1.20 for the next year as well. I did disable auto-renew hoping to get a pleasant note during the year to renew at a rate under the $120 they are projecting for family/year.

If nothing else, I have a reasonably priced (CHEAP) solution while that marketplace matures.

Got in at $5.76 for Family plan - still an excellent price for this kind of backup. I am going to set it up on my whs server and if there is no deals when the renewal time comes around I'll stay with just one computer (the server) backup to crashplan and the otehr computers backed up to the server.

Great find OP.

Can you guys hold off on your uploads for a bit so I can get mine done?

Backup running - 4.1 months remaining

I've been using this for awhile, amazing service and price. The price doesn't work for existing accounts, you'll need a new email address/credit card to get this deal (which is silly).

Have been using them for two years. Excellent service, and something everybody should have.

I have the free Carbonite switcher trial active on my account. It has 9.8 months remaining and the key is already in there. Can I wait until the current year trial expires before putting in the new code? I'd hate to enter the code now just to reset the 9.8 months remaining to 12 months, when I could ride out the year and enter it when the current trial expires.

Anyone know?

Edit: lol, why did I get red? I think it's a valid question. Sure it says "new users only" but hey, they took my money and I used my current email that's on the trial, so maybe they are being shady? I know the Carbonite switcher thread had lots of activity, so I'd venture to guess many are in the same boat as me (i.e. not "new" users and confused if this code will extend/replace the current trial or not work entirely).

I can always just use a different email to activate the deal I just purchased. My question is can I wait to do that with the code they sent me or do I have to do it now?

Last edit: I emailed customer service. We will see what they say.

coolbreeze said:   I have the free Carbonite switcher trial active on my account. It has 9.8 months remaining and the key is already in there. Can I wait until the current year trial expires before putting in the new code? I'd hate to enter the code now just to reset the 9.8 months remaining to 12 months, when I could ride out the year and enter it when the current trial expires.

Anyone know?

Not sure why someone gave you red.. it's a valid question. I'm currently on Backblaze that's up in March and I'm considering switching. A friend has a horror story about not being able to restore their data, combined with their ridiculous request for you to buy cheap hard drives for them to keep the service unlimited really turned me off their service.

coolbreeze let us know what you find out.

SoulAssassin said:   Can you guys hold off on your uploads for a bit so I can get mine done?

Backup running - 4.1 months remaining

Yeah, excellent point SoulAssassin. Initial upload time could be a killer. Probably the biggest limit would your upload speed as limited by your ISP.

My internet connection has roughly 5 Mbit/s of upload speed. According to this calculator uploading 1TB of data would take about 3 weeks:

http://adamsworld.name/copy_calc.php?do

One can check their upload limit here:

http://speedtest.net/

Crashplan uses compression and deduplication so its hard to accurately predict total transfer time. However many files (mostly media files like music/photos/videos) are already compressed and are not going to benefit from that.

bping2 said:   rigor said:   not bad for family plan but how much will renewal be?

$50 for 1 computer, $120 for up to 10 computers (family plan).

And yes your initial upload will take forever and a day, but that's the same for all the services. I haven't installed CrashPlan yet, but I'm sure there's a setting to adjust your upload speed.

thanks op! In for 1 at 2,40

lament said:   ...I'm currently on Backblaze that's up in March and I'm considering switching. A friend has a horror story about not being able to restore their data, combined with their ridiculous request for you to buy cheap hard drives for them to keep the service unlimited really turned me off their service.

coolbreeze let us know what you find out.

I am bit more sympathetic toward them after reading the whole story and their motivation behind hard drive farming, especially that they offer unlimited storage for a fixed price:

Backblaze drive farming

Why don't these services provide an option to send them our portable drive and they can just copy it over and send it back? I would pay for a service like that!

Skipping 36 Messages...
VERY HOT DEAL!
I have been using the free version of crash plan between two computers and it has worked flawlessly. Even with the free version, you can do the initial "heavy lift" backup to an external HD, then move it to the other comp for ingest. Then only the delta changes are sent over the internet. Restore can work the same way in reverse.
For 75% off, I am more than happy to support CrashPlan and get some unlimited online backup. Family plan (2-10 computers) cost me $36 for 1 year.

If you want to know more about the security that is used, check out this episode of Security Now where Steve Gibson presents his analysis (search for Crashplan):
http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-230.htm

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014