• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
wildviper said:   Why don't these services provide an option to send them our portable drive and they can just copy it over and send it back? I would pay for a service like that!
I read on a professional photographers site that he had like 8TB of data on his drives. He contacted Crashplan and they arranged having him mail in his drives, they uploaded everything and mailed the drives back to him. It took a few days vs. months and months of uploading.

I'm sure they will do it for people with a TON of data, and I'm sure it's very expensive to boot.

coolbreeze said:   wildviper said:   Why don't these services provide an option to send them our portable drive and they can just copy it over and send it back? I would pay for a service like that!
I read on a professional photographers site that he had like 8TB of data on his drives. He contacted Crashplan and they arranged having him mail in his drives, they uploaded everything and mailed the drives back to him. It took a few days vs. months and months of uploading.

I'm sure they will do it for people with a TON of data, and I'm sure it's very expensive to boot.

Thanx I will check. Funny, I am a photog too.

Though I doubt they will even reply to me since I am a Fatwalleter and got in on this deal! haha

coolbreeze said:   wildviper said:   Why don't these services provide an option to send them our portable drive and they can just copy it over and send it back? I would pay for a service like that!

Amazon has similar service for their data storage services, they charge $80 per device + $2.50 per "data-loading-hour", they pay for return shipping in the US:

http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/

In for $5.76 family plan.

Crashplan does have this feature and it's called seeding. According to their site (scroll down to the bottom) it's $125. May be useful if you have a lot of data. I did my initial backup 3 weeks ago and it took 7-8 days to backup 330GB of data. My connection is only 5 Mbps upstream connection but actual transfer rate fluctuated a lot throughout the process.

wildviper said:   coolbreeze said:   wildviper said:   Why don't these services provide an option to send them our portable drive and they can just copy it over and send it back? I would pay for a service like that!

Thanx I will check. Funny, I am a photog too.

Though I doubt they will even reply to me since I am a Fatwalleter and got in on this deal! haha

Crashplan does have this feature and it's called seeding. According to their site (scroll down to the bottom) it's $125. May be useful if you have a lot of data. I did my initial backup 3 weeks ago and it took 7-8 days to backup 330GB of data. My connection is only 5 Mbps upstream connection but actual transfer rate fluctuated a lot throughout the process.

Thanks OP! In for a family plan year.

Thanks OP! Just got the family plan. Will be canceling SugarSync after trying this for a month. This will save us over $200 over a year.

Great service (been using it for about 6 months). This is a great price!

Too bad they won't allow this for existing customers... I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to move everything to a new account. Hmm, I may do it.

Thanks, OP!

For a single PC, this offer is better: FREE 1 year

https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher/ (works for non-existing Carbonite subscribers, no way they could check)

Thanks OP, bought the family plan.

Has anyone been able to downgrade a family unlimited plan to a single computer unlimited plan without having to re-backup your primary computer?

Can someone please explain the awesomeness of this thing?

Just spent 15 minutes going over their site and it seems like just another backup service to me.

Thanks

TrueMark - Thnx for the Carbonite maneuver

Stalin said:   Can someone please explain the awesomeness of this thing?

Just spent 15 minutes going over their site and it seems like just another backup service to me.

They do deduplication and compression, support multiple operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac, and Solaris), supports enhanced security, and it cost the price of a cup of coffee for a year of backup protection. So what if you decide to go with someone else next year? Just reupload your stuff to the next service and keep on going.

I "think" they do offer a similar service. When we were looking at a server restore one time, that was where we were going, at it wasnt unreasonable. But we ended up not needing it and just restored from the service the files (took a couple of days) but they were there.

Just beware CrashPlan upload speeds SUCK. I am lucky to get 1Mbps on a 5Mbps pipe. Even slower at times.

I think it's also a crock they are offering "new" users such great deals while users who have spent hundreds of dollars on their service are left paying full rates. Kinda crappy.

Also their Java based software leaves a lot to be desired and is a memory HOG.

Thanks OP.

cpabster said:   

Also their Java based software leaves a lot to be desired and is a memory HOG.

What a memory hog? It uses only about 80 MB.

I understand that the idea is that as this business matures, prices will come down but aside from paying the next year's renewal, what would consensus be for folks here if faced with the renewal and no deal in the wings?

I mean, why not pick up another external backup that you could keep in a separate location from your main backup rather than worry about an online service?

cpabster said:   Just beware CrashPlan upload speeds SUCK. I am lucky to get 1Mbps on a 5Mbps pipe. Even slower at times.

I have to throttle my uploads because it will consume my entire 3Mb pipe, so no upload speed issues here.

Iīm in with a family plan at $12.50. Thatīs exactly what I need.
Letīs see how unlimited this plan is. I have TBīs of Homevideos in Full-HD and I wanted to back those up anyway.
Was thinking about getting an unlimited server but at this price for a year I save more than $140.

Thank you OP!

TrueMark said:   For a single PC, this offer is better: FREE 1 year

https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher/ (works for non-existing Carbonite subscribers, no way they could check)

Thanks.

Thanks OP. In for 1

cpabster said:   Just beware CrashPlan upload speeds SUCK. I am lucky to get 1Mbps on a 5Mbps pipe.

Same problem here. My connection offers 5Mbps upload and I barely hit 1Mbps with this.

I changed files to be backed up to C:/ and it shows 98000 files and 378GB. Are there any folders/files I can safely remove from this, like the OS itself? or other system files?

says "unlimited backup" but I think your ISP will disagree. You go try uploading terabytes of data over your internet connection and a lot of places your ISP will be disconnecting your service. Especially considering this is on top of your regular usage. This obviously varies by service provider. The point being, they are going to want the customers who backup very little, and they know the ones who think they are going to backup a lot will fall to the wayside. I also would bet their service agreement says they aren't responsible for data loss. So that would make one rethink if your data is really secure, because you might as
well back it up yourself and know it's safe.

I found the EULA. This is okay to use, but if this is your only backup, and your're not keeping one yourself then that's crazy. There are also major security issues, since as noted, they are not liable for unauthorized access to your files. So they have no liability against them for just leaving the door open and anyone taking your files. They also are not liable even if someone says, hey your door can be opened and anyone can download or destroy the users files, and they just ignore it and knowingly leave it open, they are still not liable. Even more malicious, someone who gained access could simply alter your OS files to add trojan or keylogger or whatever, then wait for the percentage of people who's OS craps out and they reload and they are now in your PC. And not necessarily a known virus, with full access to your OS they could insert whole software packages. In addition, I see nothing that says they won't sell your data or metadata on what you are backing up. They could compile whole lists of things about you and your family by scanning your files and sell it to marketers or even the government. I don't see anything in the EULA about privacy of your data, or selling information on you to third parties. In addition, it says you give them indemnity (Read: you're obligated to pay) and if anything goes wrong and someone starts suing them you are going to reimburse them costs and attorneys fees. I also don't see what keeps them legally from taking your files "hostage". You really don't have a right to access your data, they could cancel your service and cut you off from your files for any reason, then say you can have your access back for a certain price. It's their servers, all you could possibly do is get your membership fee back, that's all they a limited to be liable for. You think that sounds crazy but for years moving companies moving peoples furniture interstate would load up peoples valuable furniture and then take it away and then contact them that they would need to pay $800 or whatever sum they desired to get their furniture back, and the Federal government had no regulations on it and the Transportation Department only had about three guys working that department, so thousands of people were complaining about their furniture being extorted.

EULA:
LIMITATION OF CODE 42 LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT WILL CODE 42 BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS, LOST DATA, UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA, LOST REVENUE, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF CAPITAL OR OTHER SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY CODE 42 PRODUCT FURNISHED OR TO BE FURNISHED BY CODE 42 UNDER THIS AGREEMENT OR THE USE THEREOF, EVEN IF CODE 42 HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGE, AND THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF CODE 42 UPON ANY AND ALL CLAIMS HOWSOEVER ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY CODE 42 PRODUCTS FURNISHED OR TO BE FURNISHED BY CODE 42 UNDER THIS AGREEMENT WILL IN ANY EVENT BE ABSOLUTELY LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT PAID BY YOU TO CODE 42 FOR YOUR PURCHASES OF CODE 42 PRODUCTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT; PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT NOTHING IN THIS AGREEMENT SHALL OPERATE TO RELIEVE CODE 42 FROM LIABILITY FOR ITS OWN WILLFUL OR WANTON RECKLESSNESS OR INTENTIONAL TORTS.

INDEMNITY BY YOU. You will, to the fullest extent permitted by law, indemnify Code 42 against and hold Code 42 harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees in connection with investigating, defending, or settling any claim relating to or arising out of any acts or omissions on the part of you which gives rise to claims against Code 42 by third parties.

Tornadochaser said:   I changed files to be backed up to C:/ and it shows 98000 files and 378GB. Are there any folders/files I can safely remove from this, like the OS itself? or other system files?

What is the purpose of your backup? To restore all your OS if the drive crashes, or just restore your data files and you are fine reinstalling OS and programs from scratch? If you just want data files, you can probably remove "Windows" and "Program Files".

has said 'waiting for connection' for an hour. tried restart, nothing

It's up to $10.20 for a single computer and $24.48 for the family plan.

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling. reconfiguring firewall, adding ports, etc. No change. Just constantly says Waiting for connection. Doesnt even look like its trying to connect. Very disappointed. Would be really upset if I had paid money for this.

palici said:    It's up to $10.20 for a single computer and $24.48 for the family plan.

As posted already: https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher/

apparently you don't have to be a Carbonite member, and it's free for a year for 1 computer.

cpabster said:   I think it's also a crock they are offering "new" users such great deals while users who have spent hundreds of dollars on their service are left paying full rates. Kinda crappy.

It was a temporary Black Friday sale. If the prices stayed that way, you'd be right. Do you cry whenever a good deal is posted because others may not have gotten the same price? Get over it.

lament said:   palici said:    It's up to $10.20 for a single computer and $24.48 for the family plan.

As posted already: https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher/

apparently you don't have to be a Carbonite member, and it's free for a year for 1 computer.

This is what I did for three computers in my house. Just used a unique email for each one - bam, free family plan!

Here's the answer on when this key starts (i.e. can you sit on it for, say, 6 months, activate, and get a year). The answer is they key starts from the day of purchase, so if you are on the Carbonite free plan, you might as well replace the free key with the one you bought on the BF deal because the clock started from day one.

Hello Eric,

Thank you for contacting CrashPlan Support.

Your switcher trial is actually a one year subscription purchased at a 100% discount. Unfortunately this means that the two subscription keys cannot be combined.

Each license key is good for a one year subscription for one computer that starts at the date of purchase. You can use your new license key to back up a second computer.

Thank you,
~Celina

VERY HOT DEAL!
I have been using the free version of crash plan between two computers and it has worked flawlessly. Even with the free version, you can do the initial "heavy lift" backup to an external HD, then move it to the other comp for ingest. Then only the delta changes are sent over the internet. Restore can work the same way in reverse.
For 75% off, I am more than happy to support CrashPlan and get some unlimited online backup. Family plan (2-10 computers) cost me $36 for 1 year.

If you want to know more about the security that is used, check out this episode of Security Now where Steve Gibson presents his analysis (search for Crashplan):
http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-230.htm

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.