• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
wifimoocher said:   It is buy one, get one for 55 cents.

If they are anything like what we've seen from many of the Black Friday merchants, they'll be OOS quickly from the rush of buyers.

At 55 cents I would purchase one just to rate it, but I find it difficult to classify the general "fast food" product as 'food'. In-N-Out Burger is food; this, not so much. - E

JesseLivermore said:   lexx said:   wifimoocher said:   It is buy one, get one for 55 cents.

if true, that KILLS IT for me! i get my ground meat local for $2 or less per lb!

...
I know that BK claims 1/4 pound is the pre-cooked weight of their hamburger patty, but they either exaggerate, or their cooking process shrinks it to an amazing degree....



uncooked weight is only one part of the comparison. You forgot to compare the fat content of the uncooked BK whopper into your comparison. Your homemade burgers were 80% sirloin which shrinks very little during cooking. BK and MCds does not use any sirloin in their Whopper / Big Mac patties. In general most fast food burgers are 100% chuck which has a high fat content compared to sirloin cuts. Most fat cooks out suring cooking so raw burgers with a high raw fat content will shrink considerably vs a sirloin burger. Both BK and MCDs now offer sirloin / angus burgers that would offer a more reasonible comparison to your homemade burger vs the Whopper.

OldTiredGuy said:   Sounds like a goofy experiment to me. If I go to a butcher shop and watch them grind the meat (which is rare depending on where you live), the meat purchase is about the same as waiting for your BK burger. Then, you have to take the meat home (15 minutes?), then you divide the meat (2 minutes?), then cook and let it rest (7 minutes?), then you assemble it (another minute). So, compared to the BK purchase, it takes an additional 25 minutes before you can eat it. Let's say you work at a fast food restaurant (counter help), then your salary might be around $10 per hour. It just cost you over $4.00 in time. Oh, but we forgot going to a grocery store to buy the buns and other condiments, so more time lost plus the cost of food. The home cooked burger may be much tastier and has more meat (granted the BK may have more fat and water which burned off and is probably much more packed than the homemade burger), but the homemade burder cost alot more and took up an hour of time. If you had an hour for lunch, there is also lost eating time - with the BK burger, you could sit down and relax for close to an hour - use your phone, read, socialize, ... . With the home cooked hamburger, whether you can eat it will depend on your employer's policies about eating on the job. It would even be harder for that part of the population which has trouble figuring out how to boil water, and we still have not considered cleanup time.

That said, personally, I cook my own hamburgers. I cannot remember the last time I ate a BK or McD Burger (maybe 5 years+ - I do have In-and-Out and Five Guys on occasion if I am with others who want that). BK and McD are fast food and are conveniently located and that is their attraction. If someone wants healthy food, go somewhere else, but if someone is on a tight schedule or is otherwise in a hurry, and presuming fasting is not a viable alternative, maybe fast food is the best compromise.

I will be traveling by car in the near future, and although I usually do not eat fast food, when you are on the interstate for 6 hours, you want to stop and get something quick so you can get back into your car and continue your journey for another 6 hours.


I don't take offense at your rebuttal.

I wasn't speaking to the convenience factor, but the actual value and quality of the product.

If convenience was paramount, a microwaved frozen burrito from 7-11 would be the fastest. 30 seconds.

As far as the hassle of doing what I did, or it being a "goofy experiment," it took all of 25 minutes, and that included sourcing the freshly ground hamburger (10 minutes in the store, 5 minutes drive time, 10 minutes to season, cook and assemble the burger).

But once you have a high quality beef already purchased, you're spending 10 minutes, maximum to make a superior burger that's not only better for you and tastes better, but is actually far less expensive (using that antibiotic and filler free beef, I estimate it cost me $1.25 at most to make a burger that has at least twice as much beef as a Whopper).

Again, I realize this is not possible if you're not at home, which is why I even bothered to pick up a Whopper, and what prompted me to do this experiment.

The question still legitimately remains as to whether fast food restaurants are really using the amount of beef they claim in their hamburgers.

Your person didn't read the fine print.

A post on SD says this is buy one get one for .55 and they attached a photo of the sign. If we post I had a guy tell me ... here it will destroy FW.

That person is in management. It could be YMMV, not sure at this point. Too early in the game.

They had buy one get one free like all last month with coupon. Makes buy one get one for $.55 a slap in the face. So much for an anniversary 'special' if it's not even as good as a regular coupon deal.

Danzilla said:   it's not even as good as a regular coupon deal.

True. BO-GO(for zero) beats BO-GO(for 55)

mountainwxman said:   That person is in management. It could be YMMV, not sure at this point. Too early in the game.

Not too early, the truth is out there....

sheesh.. Mismanagement maybe..and soon to be out of a jobif he doesn't get hisfacts straight.

I cant believe that BK still exists..

JesseLivermore said:   OldTiredGuy said:   Sounds like a goofy experiment to me. If I go to a butcher shop and watch them grind the meat (which is rare depending on where you live), the meat purchase is about the same as waiting for your BK burger. Then, you have to take the meat home (15 minutes?), then you divide the meat (2 minutes?), then cook and let it rest (7 minutes?), then you assemble it (another minute). So, compared to the BK purchase, it takes an additional 25 minutes before you can eat it. Let's say you work at a fast food restaurant (counter help), then your salary might be around $10 per hour. It just cost you over $4.00 in time. Oh, but we forgot going to a grocery store to buy the buns and other condiments, so more time lost plus the cost of food. The home cooked burger may be much tastier and has more meat (granted the BK may have more fat and water which burned off and is probably much more packed than the homemade burger), but the homemade burder cost alot more and took up an hour of time. If you had an hour for lunch, there is also lost eating time - with the BK burger, you could sit down and relax for close to an hour - use your phone, read, socialize, ... . With the home cooked hamburger, whether you can eat it will depend on your employer's policies about eating on the job. It would even be harder for that part of the population which has trouble figuring out how to boil water, and we still have not considered cleanup time.

That said, personally, I cook my own hamburgers. I cannot remember the last time I ate a BK or McD Burger (maybe 5 years+ - I do have In-and-Out and Five Guys on occasion if I am with others who want that). BK and McD are fast food and are conveniently located and that is their attraction. If someone wants healthy food, go somewhere else, but if someone is on a tight schedule or is otherwise in a hurry, and presuming fasting is not a viable alternative, maybe fast food is the best compromise.

I will be traveling by car in the near future, and although I usually do not eat fast food, when you are on the interstate for 6 hours, you want to stop and get something quick so you can get back into your car and continue your journey for another 6 hours.


I don't take offense at your rebuttal.

I wasn't speaking to the convenience factor, but the actual value and quality of the product.

If convenience was paramount, a microwaved frozen burrito from 7-11 would be the fastest. 30 seconds.

As far as the hassle of doing what I did, or it being a "goofy experiment," it took all of 25 minutes, and that included sourcing the freshly ground hamburger (10 minutes in the store, 5 minutes drive time, 10 minutes to season, cook and assemble the burger).

But once you have a high quality beef already purchased, you're spending 10 minutes, maximum to make a superior burger that's not only better for you and tastes better, but is actually far less expensive (using that antibiotic and filler free beef, I estimate it cost me $1.25 at most to make a burger that has at least twice as much beef as a Whopper).

Again, I realize this is not possible if you're not at home, which is why I even bothered to pick up a Whopper, and what prompted me to do this experiment.

The question still legitimately remains as to whether fast food restaurants are really using the amount of beef they claim in their hamburgers.


I, for one, am truly amazed at how much spare time some of us seem to have...shouldn't we all be true FW'ers and scarfing down deals?? LOL

cpabster said:   Any one who thinks they are getting real 100% "Beef" from any of these establishments is a fool.

Wanna know why that 1/4lb patty shrinks so much and they are careful to advertise "pre-cooked weight"? It's less than 70% lean (what part is actually beef, of some sort) and lots of soybean meal and other fillers are ground in. That's how you can sell a "hamburger" for 55 cents.
Poor BK and McD's, silly myths being perpetuated. Both use 100% beef in all their burgers. Both use seasoning, but no soy, no fillers.

I dislike Burger King the least.

I also dislike it when people post rumors as fact.

JesseLivermore said:   OldTiredGuy said:   

Again, I realize this is not possible if you're not at home, which is why I even bothered to pick up a Whopper, and what prompted me to do this experiment.

The question still legitimately remains as to whether fast food restaurants are really using the amount of beef they claim in their hamburgers.


Your "experiment" isn't original or nor does it have a point..

Of course eating out will cost more and possibly be of lesser quality than cooking at home.

Not all of us have the time and patience to cook burgers and also you're ignoring the perishable nature of tomatos, lettuce, and so forth. Not all of us want to eat burgers every day, all day in order to save a few dollars.

Your "experiment" also ignored the cost of lettuce, tomatos, ketchup, buns, pickles, mayo, and depending on how you want to cook your burgers you're ignoring the cost of the grill, spatulas, plates to put the burgers on, and so forth and so on.

Time is money as anyone on fatwallet should know and for some of us time is worth a lot more money than the time it would take to make burgers.

Your "experiment" also ignores teh fact that you have to have somewhere to COOK said burgers, when most of us have day/night jobs which means we're NOT at home.

I don't even know why you would bother comparing said burgers because obviously it's going to cost burger king money to operate a lease, hire line cooks, create their recipes, and gosh darnit apparently it costs money to operate a business.

But I suppose you'll ignore any logic pointing out how much time you wasted on your "experiment" only to learn you can cook a tasty burger that is better than a fast food joint!

You get a B for effort, it would have been an A but no one asked you to do an "experiment" that is inherently flawed to begin with given the subjective nature of burgers and also the cooking skills of an individual.

As for this "deal", a whopper probably costs them less than a quarter to make, so they're still getting a two times markup at least on the "discounted" item.

I love how companies are trying to condition people to wanting a "deal" that really isn't a deal, much like those Black Friday TVS are made in China for a fraction of their "discounted" price.

Corporations are laughing all the way to the bank

Now if only this deal were on a Carl's Jr. Super Star tsk . . . (hope springs eternal! lol)

TYT

Carl's Jr. is disgusting. And its founder Carl Karcher was a despicable human being as well. - E

DeltaSigChi4 said:   Carl's Jr. is disgusting. And its founder Carl Karcher was a despicable human being as well. - E
Let me guess -- he was a monster because he didn't donate $1,000,000 per year to support gay marriage?

Just saw the commercial on tv bk is doing it for buy one get one for 55 cents. I'm out .. not worth it to me.

don't know why this double posted ..

JesseLivermore said:   It cost me $3.69 for one pound of 80% sirloin/20% chuck hamburger ground in front of me, that is growth hormone & antibiotic free beef....

Not only was the homemade hamburger superior in every way to the Whopper, there was, and I am not exaggerating, at least 2x times as much meat in the homemade patty (honestly, it could have been more than 2x as much), when I pulled out the refrigerated Whopper for comparison.
You could well say "more than 10x as much meat" because 10x0 is still 0, so yours had more. The key being who-knows-what they put in their burger, while you put the good stuff.

Good gracious, after reading this thread, I am exhausted! LOL!!

To get back on topic, as some one else posted, you will have to pay full price for one whopper before you'll be able to snag one for 55 whole cents.

Merry Christmas!!!

A merry Christmas lump of coal present from BK. They still have buy one - get one FREE Whopper coupons in effect. Maybe they are just stupid or really forgetful. Happy Anniversary BK, may it be your last.

At my locak BK, it's buy any Whopper for regular price, get an original Whopper for 55 cents

skinflinto said:   ....you will have to pay full price for one whopper before you'll be able to snag one for 55 whole cents.

Not sure why this point has been missed, but the promotion is "pay full price for one whopper, then you'll be able to snag as many as you want for 55c each.

Been years since I have eaten at a BK...How much($)is a regular Whopper now?

"pay full price for one whopper, then you'll be able to snag as many as you want for 55c each"

That's not how my local BK interpreted it. They think it's one discount for one full price. Anyway, I
got 4, 2 for 2, and the whoppers are worse than Carl Jrs or In&Out. Not worth the deal.

got one today, haven't had one in a couple years...not very impressive. regular price is $3.29 in MI, so basically $2 each after the big sale. Not really much of a deal.

Went to Dollar General and on the receipt was a 2 for 1 whopper coupon.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014