• Text Only
For those that used the $4 mfr coupon on the batteries, how exactly is that entered at the register where it will not interfere with rewards? I just tried to use one and between the clerk and the manager I don't think either of them knew what to do. They were about to adjust down the price of the batteries so I just took the coupon back. Then the manager started rambling some nonsense about not being able to use a coupon because they're free.

aarzi said:   SafetyDance said:   Rebate takes copies of the receipts. Just go back and get a price match after you make the copies.While you are at it, why not buy from anywhere, make copies of receipts, then return to store? Heck, do it a dozen times over, for family and friends.

No further comment....

You're getting them free after rebate anyway, so how is what I suggested any different? You're also using coupons, so are you counting the before or after coupon price? No different than any of those scenarios.

SafetyDance said:   aarzi said:   SafetyDance said:   Rebate takes copies of the receipts. Just go back and get a price match after you make the copies.While you are at it, why not buy from anywhere, make copies of receipts, then return to store? Heck, do it a dozen times over, for family and friends.

No further comment....

You're getting them free after rebate anyway, so how is what I suggested any different? You're also using coupons, so are you counting the before or after coupon price? No different than any of those scenarios.
Really!!?? First you say what you said. Now, instead of just letting it slide, or heaven forbid, be contrite, you are going to defend it?? I don't think so. It is unconscionable, and indefensible.

While you are at it, why don't you try justifying walking out of the store without paying for them, since they are "free" anyway. Again, I don't think so. It is unconscionable, and indefensible.

wiredspider said:   wksound said:   DanoMcGarret said:   Heads-up on ink prices for Rewards members. Staples is discounting HP ink by 10% so factor that in when you make your purchase to ensure you exceed the $50 threshold. My revised purchase was as follows:
1 HP21 @$15.99-10%=$14.39
1 HP27/28 combo @($45.99-10%)-10%=$37.25
Total = $51.64

Dano

what are you talking about? i see the price for hp21 @15.99?

You get 10% off if you did the generic ink thing a little while back.

I forgot about this last night. I bought a $50.99 HP ink and it was discounted to $46.79. I exchanged for one that costs $55.99 but it didn't take the 10% off this time. If I go back to the store today to ask for the 10% off will that screw up my rewards since I recycled yesterday?

Did anyone who bought online earlier in the week try to recycle more yesterday or today to double dip? I didn't order until Friday so I have several days to recycle for December, so I will wait to hear if it works.

DanoMcGarret said:   Heads-up on ink prices for Rewards members. Staples is discounting HP ink by 10% so factor that in when you make your purchase to ensure you exceed the $50 threshold.The nice thing is that the discount shows up online so you can figure out the pricing before you get to the store.

billrubin said:   DanoMcGarret said:   Heads-up on ink prices for Rewards members. Staples is discounting HP ink by 10% so factor that in when you make your purchase to ensure you exceed the $50 threshold.The nice thing is that the discount shows up online so you can figure out the pricing before you get to the store.My 10% discount that was supposed to end on 11/30 from the generic promo is still showing online as of today. Will keep checking periodically to see if eventually expires.

I asked the cashier today for the HP ink purchase and double rewards thing. He said that only the first 5 recycle cartridges are doubled with HP ink $50 purchase. Is that true? Or it is actually YMMV? I guess whether double or not depends on which coupon the cashier scans for me? If that's the case, I should only get 5 doubled if he is only willing to scan that code for 5 of the cartridges I recycled?

Thanks

bbway said:   I asked the cashier today for the HP ink purchase and double rewards thing. He said that only the first 5 recycle cartridges are doubled with HP ink $50 purchase. Is that true? Or it is actually YMMV? I guess whether double or not depends on which coupon the cashier scans for me? If that's the case, I should only get 5 doubled if he is only willing to scan that code for 5 of the cartridges I recycled?

Thanks

Its your choice. Listen to a clueless cashier (or Staples rep) or listen to what the knowledgeable folks have posted here on fatwallet or on SD.

vrb747 said:   
Its your choice. Listen to a clueless cashier (or Staples rep) or listen to what the knowledgeable folks have posted here on fatwallet or on SD.

Where's BPVH? Is he ticked off w/ FW and only posting on SD? (Personally I'm more likely to get p.o.'d w/ SD than FW.)

Yes, I did.
I bought more than $50 HP ink online on 11/27, recycled ink on 11/29/12, and 12/1/12.

The Nov ink recylce reward showed up. But the Dec one hasn't and my reward account shows "We didn't find any purchases. Please allow up to 72 hours after a purchase is made for it to show here.".

billrubin said:   Did anyone who bought online earlier in the week try to recycle more yesterday or today to double dip? I didn't order until Friday so I have several days to recycle for December, so I will wait to hear if it works.

Just received email:
Bonus coupon & free shipping! Plus, gift ideas & stocking stuffers
$10 off $50 purchase of HP ink. Unique 16-digit code.

No coupon required for Starbucks coffee 2/$19 (regularly $12.99 ea.). Buy enough and add a breakroom coupon to sweeten the deal.

iamabigbug did your rewards account also show the double rewards?

I recycled day after and 12/1, but realized I screwed up my coupon use, so ink total was $49.38, I thought I had it calculated right. CSR gave me the Nov. double, but I'm not going to be a good example for the December double. #imanidiot

yes, $80 showed up for November for 20 ink cartridges recycled on 11/29/12.
Nothing for Dec yet.

my4mainecoons said:   Just received email:
Bonus coupon & free shipping! Plus, gift ideas & stocking stuffers
$10 off $50 purchase of HP ink. Unique 16-digit code.

No coupon required for Starbucks coffee 2/$19 (regularly $12.99 ea.). Buy enough and add a breakroom coupon to sweeten the deal.

Argh! Need about $70 in ink, but did not receive the $10 off code (though I got an otherwise same email). I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this, but the only codes I have access to were 10% off or $15 off 100.

my4mainecoons said:   ...No coupon required for Starbucks coffee 2/$19 (regularly $12.99 ea.). Buy enough and add a breakroom coupon to sweeten the deal.Better deal at Target this week on Starbucks. $5 Target card when you buy 2. Use $3 off 2 mfg coupon in SmartSource this week. Do this twice and get $5 Starbucks card on 3 bags. Use 5% Target Red Card and you can get 11 oz bag down to $2.34. Must be a thread on fw somewhere on this deal.

mathfaster said:   my4mainecoons said:   ...No coupon required for Starbucks coffee 2/$19 (regularly $12.99 ea.). Buy enough and add a breakroom coupon to sweeten the deal.Better deal at Target this week on Starbucks. $5 Target card when you buy 2. Use $3 off 2 mfg coupon in SmartSource this week. Do this twice and get $5 Starbucks card on 3 bags. Use 5% Target Red Card and you can get 11 oz bag down to $2.34. Must be a thread on fw somewhere on this deal.
there is a FW thread on the deal but since I don't have a Target or a Starbucks I ignored it

my4mainecoons said:   mathfaster said:   my4mainecoons said:   ...No coupon required for Starbucks coffee 2/$19 (regularly $12.99 ea.). Buy enough and add a breakroom coupon to sweeten the deal.Better deal at Target this week on Starbucks. $5 Target card when you buy 2. Use $3 off 2 mfg coupon in SmartSource this week. Do this twice and get $5 Starbucks card on 3 bags. Use 5% Target Red Card and you can get 11 oz bag down to $2.34. Must be a thread on fw somewhere on this deal.
there is a FW thread on the deal but since I don't have a Target or a Starbucks I ignored it
That's too bad. A lot of Targets have Starbucks in the Target store. Kill two birds with one visit. I never buy coffee from Staples as there isn't a whole lot of choices and I prefer whole bean which they don't sell for Starbucks.

iamabigbug said:   Yes, I did.
I bought more than $50 HP ink online on 11/27, recycled ink on 11/29/12, and 12/1/12.

The Nov ink recycle reward showed up. But the Dec one hasn't and my reward account shows "We didn't find any purchases. Please allow up to 72 hours after a purchase is made for it to show here.".

It's still too early. I just checked and it says "Updated as of December 01, 2012" but that means purchases from the previous day.

I am in a potentially interesting situation. I bought ink online on Friday (early in the day, and it shipped that day) and recycled on Friday after the purchase. My purchase does not show up but my ink does at single value. If my purchase shows up tomorrow listed under December, it could potentially give me double rewards automatically then, and I could get customer service to adjust the November Rewards.

I was able to double dip last week:

Bought $50.38 ink online 11/28 - $6.04 rewards
Recycled 20 cartridges 11/30 - $80 rewards
Recycled 20 cartridges 12/1 - $80 rewards

All rewards showing now!

edit: Note that I only did one ink purchase. I wanted to see if it works so I took the risk.

jebbyjoy said:   Bought $50.38 ink online 11/28 - $6.04 rewards

Should be higher.

c3 said:   jebbyjoy said:   Bought $50.38 ink online 11/28 - $6.04 rewards

Should be higher.

Oh, yeah, you're right. I should give them a call. I was more excited about recycling 40 cartridges at $4 each.

jebbyjoy said:   I should give them a call.

I wouldn't, to avoid drawing attention to the $4 x 40 rewards.

My ink rewards are all showing as 15%, thought it was supposed to be 20?

Does the 10 off 75 app coupon work for HP ink? I know it says it doesn't, but that didn't seem to matter for the 20% off coupons last week.

ritsol said:   My ink rewards are all showing as 15%, thought it was supposed to be 20?Did you use any coupons or Rewards as part of the payment? Although I guess you would not have gotten the double rewards in that case. FWIW, I spent $50.38 and got $10.08. Did you buy multiple items? Does it show the correct amount for any of them?

The Dec ink recycle reward showed up. Free ink + $30 reward.

billrubin said:   Did you use any coupons or Rewards as part of the payment? Although I guess you would not have gotten the double rewards in that case. FWIW, I spent $50.38 and got $10.08. Did you buy multiple items? Does it show the correct amount for any of them?

Purchase was just ink and recycling, no coupons or reward payments. Total spend online shows 53.97 with 8.08 in rewards (well, 48.08 with 10 ink recycled)

iamabigbug said:   yes, $80 showed up for November for 20 ink cartridges recycled on 11/29/12.
Nothing for Dec yet.

my "recycled ink" only shows 5 carts for Nov, but my purchase history shows I recycled 19 more on 11/30. Anybody know what's up with that?

NeuroSynapsis said:   iamabigbug said:   yes, $80 showed up for November for 20 ink cartridges recycled on 11/29/12.
Nothing for Dec yet.

my "recycled ink" only shows 5 carts for Nov, but my purchase history shows I recycled 19 more on 11/30. Anybody know what's up with that?

call them. My Recycling has been screwed up for months. Shows I haven't recycled anything but I've been receiving the checks for recycling 20 (which I have). I haven't cared as long as the checks have shown up but now w/ the bonus situation I'll be on the phone.

NeuroSynapsis said:   my "recycled ink" only shows 5 carts for Nov, but my purchase history shows I recycled 19 more on 11/30. Anybody know what's up with that?My recycled page is also wrong, but the transactions for November (and December) are fine. Not worth contacting them about unless for some odd reason the Rewards don't show up properly.

I ordered my ink online on Nov. 30 then went to store to recycle. My transaction summary shows the ink purchase on Dec. 3. Should I call about having it changed?

ETA: Just off the phone. Online orders don't post to Rewards site for 2-3 days but CS saw the ink recycling for November and said I was going to receive $80 ink recycling check on DECEMBER 13. However, the $11 Reward (20% ink purchase) would not be issued until January. I didn't ask about the 20 carts I recycled on Dec. 3. I figure I'll wait until after Dec. 13 to see if I got the double on those based on the Nov. 30 purchase.

my4mainecoons said:   I ordered my ink online on Nov. 30 then went to store to recycle. My transaction summary shows the ink purchase on Dec. 3. Should I call about having it changed?

ETA: Just off the phone. Online orders don't post to Rewards site for 2-3 days but CS saw the ink recycling for November and said I was going to receive $80 ink recycling check on DECEMBER 13. However, the $11 Reward (20% ink purchase) would not be issued until January. I didn't ask about the 20 carts I recycled on Dec. 3. I figure I'll wait until after Dec. 13 to see if I got the double on those based on the Nov. 30 purchase.
You probably ordered after 5pm on the 30th so it did not ship until Monday, correct? I was careful to order mine early in the morning on the 30th to make sure it shipped that day, and it showed up with the correct date on the Rewards site. I would expect your December cartridges to double fine since it thinks the transaction was in December already. In fact, the December 3rd cartridges should already be showing on the site.

NeuroSynapsis said:   iamabigbug said:   yes, $80 showed up for November for 20 ink cartridges recycled on 11/29/12.
Nothing for Dec yet.

The beginning of November they had the triple rewards, limit 5... you sure you didn't try recycling twice in November by accident? Otherwise I have no clue. The 19 carts could be the cashier just counted wrong, if you didn't specify 20...
As for the difference between "recycled ink" and "purchase history", don't worry about it. They're frequently out of sync. I have Nov and Dec cart recycling listed in purchase history, but as far as recycled ink is concerned, I never recycled in November (it was 11-28).

thanks all.

btw I recycle 9/19 because when I recycle 10 or 20 at a time my rewards get stolen.

NeuroSynapsis said:   thanks all.

btw I recycle 9/19 because when I recycle 10 or 20 at a time my rewards get stolen.
AFAIK there have been no reports of theft since Staples started not including rewards number in the vouchers in May or June 2012.

mathfaster said:   NeuroSynapsis said:   thanks all.

AFAIK there have been no reports of theft since Staples started not including rewards number in the vouchers in May or June 2012.
Do you mean the mailed ones? Perhaps Neurotic's rewards get stolen on the web. Wonder how the 9/19 makes a difference.

In any case, you can get a new Rewards card, and start using that instead.

aarzi said:   mathfaster said:   NeuroSynapsis said:   thanks all.

Do you mean the mailed ones? Perhaps Neurotic's rewards get stolen on the web. Wonder how the 9/19 makes a difference.

In any case, you can get a new Rewards card, and start using that instead.
Printed or not. Mailed or not. Just not used and still in the account. 9/19 made a difference because they are not even multiples of $20/$40, etc. The voucher numbers for rewards no longer have the rewards number in therm and they are different numbers every month for the same account.

Obviously, you are knowledgeable about this subject. I am not. Would you spell it out a little differently, please?

When I print out my rewards, they have the non-scanable Rewards number on the left, and a scanable barcode for the reward amount on the right. I have not closely looked at a mailed reward in ages.
How does 9/19 make any difference?

aarzi said:   Obviously, you are knowledgeable about this subject. I am not. Would you spell it out a little differently, please?

When I print out my rewards, they have the non-scanable Rewards number on the left, and a scanable barcode for the reward amount on the right. I have not closely looked at a mailed reward in ages.
The number for any rewards check is made up of a 5 digit code + 11 digit number + a check digit. The monthly rewards have a different 5 digit prefix from the ink recycling rewards. The 5 digit number is different every month. The 11 digit number used to be your rewards number and it was always your rewards number for any month you had rewards issued. Starting in May or June this year they made this a random 11 digit number and it changes every month for every account. This makes it tough for the thieves to guess your rewards checks numbers. They used to be able to guess that rewards check number by brute force programming/scripts to print up a rewards check and use it in the stores. Since Staples changed the way they generate the rewards check number there have been no reported rewards check theft. The thieves used to look for $20/$40 rewards using the previous method of generating rewards check numbers. That is why they skipped over 9/19 cart recycling rewards of $18 or $38.

mathfaster said:   aarzi said:   Obviously, you are knowledgeable about this subject. I am not. Would you spell it out a little differently, please?

The number for any rewards check is made up of a 5 digit code + 11 digit number + a check digit. The monthly rewards have a different 5 digit prefix from the ink recycling rewards. The 5 digit number is different every month. The 11 digit number used to be your rewards number and it was always your rewards number for any month you had rewards issued. Starting in May or June this year they made this a random 11 digit number and it changes every month for every account. This makes it tough for the thieves to guess your rewards checks numbers. They used to be able to guess that rewards check number by brute force programming/scripts to print up a rewards check and use it in the stores. Since Staples changed the way they generate the rewards check number there have been no reported rewards check theft. The thieves used to look for $20/$40 rewards using the previous method of generating rewards check numbers. That is why they skipped over 9/19 cart recycling rewards of $18 or $38.

all of this. I had no idea they changed up the system, but having been burned in the past old habits die hard.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014