• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Desktop PC
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This would be awesome to smash, (Office Space style) for 67 bucks you could have lots of fun.

isaacoply (Nov. 26, 2012 @ 1:33a) |

To be fair, some of these systems aren't bad, considering they are not "used" but "refurbished" and include a one-year w... (more)

Toddler (Nov. 26, 2012 @ 2:42a) |

deal is dead.

Kwlhand (Nov. 27, 2012 @ 10:21p) |

• Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

They're normally $90, so not a huge deal.

Specs are as follows:
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 processor (3.0GHz)
1GB installed memory
80GB hard drive

$530 for a refurbished i3 with 4GB RAM. Some kind of joke from Staples.

immacoolguy said:   They're normally $90, so not a huge deal

There are four pages of them, formerly $89.99 to $599.99 and they are all 25% off.

Still no great deals, granted.

immacoolguy said:   They're normally $90, so not a huge deal.

Specs are as follows:
1GB installed memory
80GB hard drive

I just bought something similar (used) from Goodwill recently for $10.

2.4 Ghz
1 GB RAM
80GB HD

course Dell made this computer in 9/18/2003. This must have been a supercomputer back then running Win XP.

I figure I can experiment w/ Win 8 on this.

Maybe not a super hot deal but you know, these will check email and suf the web just fine for many people. It's really not too bad for ~$70 shipped.

ablang said:   immacoolguy said:   They're normally $90, so not a huge deal.

Specs are as follows:
1GB installed memory
80GB hard drive

2.4 Ghz
1 GB RAM
80GB HD

course Dell made this computer in 9/18/2003. This must have been a supercomputer back then running Win XP.

yes, but in all fairness, a $10 machine at Goodwill is really a crapshoot, plus no warranty.

for $10 you want warranty ? lol
these machines run linux like a champ!
MISTERCHEAP said:   ablang said:   immacoolguy said:   They're normally $90, so not a huge deal.

Specs are as follows:
1GB installed memory
80GB hard drive

2.4 Ghz
1 GB RAM
80GB HD

yes, but in all fairness, a $10 machine at Goodwill is really a crapshoot, plus no warranty.

$67 paperweight.

CCbbaa said:   for $10 you want warranty ? lol
these machines run linux like a champ!
MISTERCHEAP said:   ablang said:   immacoolguy said:   They're normally $90, so not a huge deal.

Specs are as follows:
1GB installed memory
80GB hard drive

2.4 Ghz
1 GB RAM
80GB HD

no I don't expect a warranty, I'm just saying for $67 you have a decent idea you'll have a working computer WITH warranty vs $10 and no warranty and no guarantee the computer really even works all that well or at all.

Pentium 4, maybe a local computer history museum would be very interested in this deal!

MISTERCHEAP said:   http://www.staples.com/CyberSundayDesktopDeals/StaplesCategoryDi...

MISTERCHEAP said:   

no I don't expect a warranty, I'm just saying for $67 you have a decent idea you'll have a working computer WITH warranty vs $10 and no warranty and no guarantee the computer really even works all that well or at all.

Usually you're pretty good at double talk...but not sure on this one. If you think about it...one could buy ~ 6 of the $10 computers and still make out ahead.

yep.. 6 paper weight vs 1
respdoc said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

Usually you're pretty good at double talk...but not sure on this one. If you think about it...one could buy ~ 6 of the $10 computers and still make out ahead.

respdoc said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

hey, I don't care what people do. I'm just saying...and you may be right on that respdoc. So do what works for you the best.

This is supposed to be a site for deals, right? For a second there I thought I was on www.payforsomebodystrash.com.

Anybody who falls for this is a sucker. If you've got no money and need a computer, grab one out of a friend's closet or off a CL post for nothing.

CCbbaa said:   these machines run linux like a champ!

There's plenty of modern, full featured, AND Lightweight Linux distros such as Puppy Linux or Fedora LXDE that will make these old slow machines run fast! Puppy Linux runs completely in RAM with as little as 128MB RAM.

Some of you need to ease up.

I help people out with their computers, for free. Mostly elderly people,
many with little money. Their computers are many times infested with spyware
and they have just given up on using it because they do not know what to do.

Many of these are about this level, Win XP with older CPUs and bought or put
together by a local computer shop with marginal memory. I clean the spyware, many times
I will recommend increasing the memory. I got a 1 gig chip on order right now from eBay
for %8.18, shipped, to put in an old computer. I also install a free anti-virus
software and hope this will keep the computer secure in the future. Install/update
other general software (Adobe Reader, etc), get Win up-to-date and turn on auto update.
(The battery should be replaced, at these ages it about ready to go.)

A computer like this will get them going again on email, access Facebook just fine,
do word processing, and access the internet.

Maybe some of you know a person like this? Maybe they had a computer but it stopped
working long ago. You might not want to do all I do, so buy a $60 Christmas present
for them, use their old monitor or one out of your closet and get them into the computing
world......

I was looking at the HP DC7800-0002 With the 750bg hard drive I can install memory if I can find it for purchase. It would be better than what I have a Vista 32 bit. My question this shows windows 7 professional but, some clearly say 32 bit this doesnt. I'd be in better shape but, I'm wondering if I spent 100 more if I'd be in even better shape.

http://www.staples.com/HP-DC7800-0002-Refurbished-Mini-Tower-Des...

computing power
Disclaimer
I was thinking of getting one of these. Anyone know if it has an AGP slot?

RAM is really the problem with these old machines, nothing wrong with a P4 for basic desktop use. Music, etc. It's more than powerful enough. Many are limited to 2GB max of RAM which is an absolute drop dead MINIMUM these days for a modern OS. (Windows 7/8)

In fact I used an old HP P4 box for probably a year and a half as a media server, with a cheap $20 ATI card it was able to play 1080 HD with no problem.

Really.. not worth it. I put together my mother's Celeron e3300 system for about $100 years ago ($40 CPU combo Fry's, reused case, PSU, DVD, accessories.) Hard to believe you can't do better than a P4 for $67.

cpabster said:   RAM is really the problem with these old machines, nothing wrong with a P4 for basic desktop use. Music, etc. It's more than powerful enough. Many are limited to 2GB max of RAM which is an absolute drop dead MINIMUM these days for a modern OS. (Windows 7/8)
You can run Win 7 on just 1GB (32 bit), and many do, especially Win 7 starter like on many netbooks. That's not to say most system won't see a decent improvement with 2GB. Improvements for more than 2GB depends on what software you're using and it's requirements.
2GB is the minimum only for the 64bit version Win 7.

I only have a 250gb hard drive so I'm going to possibly crash since we are super loaded with music. Can someone tell me if this would solve my problem at least for a year or so?

respdoc said:   $67 paperweight.

Don't forget the tax

Jlovey2 said:   I only have a 250gb hard drive so I'm going to possibly crash since we are super loaded with music. Can someone tell me if this would solve my problem at least for a year or so?Ummm... WHAT??? If you just need more hard drive space, just buy a new hard drive.

cheepl said:   Some of you need to ease up.

I help people out with their computers, for free. Mostly elderly people,
many with little money.

Great...but even with that scenario....still doesn't make the most financial sense for this group.

Since all those programs would also work on the $10 Goodwill example...that would leave you an extra ~ $57 for what they would consider the most important feature being elderly (i.e. a good monitor).

Danzilla said:   You can run Win 7 on just 1GB (32 bit), and many do, especially Win 7 starter like on many netbooks. That's not to say most system won't see a decent improvement with 2GB. Improvements for more than 2GB depends on what software you're using and it's requirements.

Well, yes, of course. I can run XP on a machine with only 256MB of RAM as well. It won't run WELL, but it runs. Same thing here.

I try to stay with modern OS and practices, that would be 64-bit OS (Win7/8) and 2GB RAM minimum. Plenty of "old" machines can run that, I have a couple sitting around.

Thumbs up to what cheepl said.

A P4 might not be a speed demon by today's standards but for web browsing and office tasks they are plenty, especially with a lightweight Linux distro. There's a number of organizations out there (FreeGeek and similar) that give free computers to those without them and help them fix ones that are broken, if you have any old parts in your closet it's a great way to put them to use.

Jlovey2 said:   I only have a 250gb hard drive so I'm going to possibly crash since we are super loaded with music. Can someone tell me if this would solve my problem at least for a year or so?

Did you miss the Target B&M deals last week, $39 + tax for a 750GB USB3.0 (backwards-compatible with USB2.0) portable external HD?

Danzilla said:   Jlovey2 said:   I only have a 250gb hard drive so I'm going to possibly crash since we are super loaded with music. Can someone tell me if this would solve my problem at least for a year or so?Ummm... WHAT??? If you just need more hard drive space, just buy a new hard drive.

I do have one but, I cant upgrade this computer at all. I've tried putting I8 I'd like windows 7 but, I dont want to fork out the cash to be told no.

I web surf on Google but, get locked out of alot sites. It's old outdated tech. Which is why I'm asking a since question like would I be pissing away my money to buy any of these?

Thanks to info people supplied me asking question I made a pretty good deal on a I5 laptop for my Daughter. Not under 300 but, also not over 400.

Danzilla said:   Really.. not worth it. I put together my mother's Celeron e3300 system for about $100 years ago ($40 CPU combo Fry's, reused case, PSU, DVD, accessories.) Hard to believe you can't do better than a P4 for $67.

There's a few extenuating circumstances involved in your assessment of comparitive worth:

You're very rarely going to find a CPU/motherboard combo at that $40 price point
You combined that with other used parts you happened to have lying around, but that many won't have access to
- If any of those parts go bad you'll be replacing them out of pocket (or from a stock of other used parts you may have, but again many won't have access to)
What was the cost of the operating system you installed on this PC you put together for your mother? The PC listed comes with a legit XP Pro license.

The $67 PC in question is now out of stock so it's a bit of a moot point, but there are so many factors involved that get glossed over/ignored when people try to claim they can build a cheap PC for so much less than these kinds of deals.

The HP DC5750 at $97.49 is a solid general-purpose machine that's about 4-5 years old at this point. Runs windows 7 quite well, has a DVD burner installed, has VGA and DVI outputs supporting dual display use (you can't use a DVI-VGA adapter on the DVI port, it's digital only) and has a RAID controller built-in.

I wouldn't buy the Pentium 4 systems, but the AMD X2 and Core 2 Duos are worth considering. Compared to eBay systems, the good things are the free shipping, 1 year warranty, and pre-installed Windows. The bad things are the price, and that a lot of them have 80GB hard drives, which are probably quite old, and near the end of their lives.

Goodwill doesn't normally sell computers in their stores.

Some of you folks really don't get it. It's not about whether or not a dc5100 is good enough for grandma. It's about whether or not $67 is too much for a dc5100. See the difference?

I've got a pile of these dc5100s in my junk room. I'll send them off for recycling next month. Anybody can grab something this age or newer for almost nothing, quite literally, just by looking a little. These are seven year old computers. They aren't likely to have been well cared for. Buying one is a foolish thing to do.

I've only got 15 years of experience in the industry, so my opinion on this may not be worth much, eh?

Just remember, on these old computers, capacitors don't last forever. These computers may have a limited lifespan (speaking physically, not just technologically), compared to a newly-mfg'ed PC.

I realize that this deal has past, but Staples had a $200 + tax G630 SB dual-core for sale.

It's a bit hard to justify purchasing these 5-10 year old computers with some $200-$400 deals out there on the new stuff.

There is a world of difference between XP and 7.

One breakdown on one of the older systems will cost you more to fix than buying the new one to begin with.

Just my opinion

cpabster said:   Danzilla said:   You can run Win 7 on just 1GB (32 bit), and many do, especially Win 7 starter like on many netbooks. That's not to say most system won't see a decent improvement with 2GB. Improvements for more than 2GB depends on what software you're using and it's requirements.

Well, yes, of course. I can run XP on a machine with only 256MB of RAM as well. It won't run WELL, but it runs. Same thing here.

I try to stay with modern OS and practices, that would be 64-bit OS (Win7/8) and 2GB RAM minimum. Plenty of "old" machines can run that, I have a couple sitting around.

My first desktop had XP and 256MB ram. No problems....until XP kept updating. I had friend who said he stopped all updates, I think after XP SP2 (service pak 2), and had no problems.

Still good to make it as custom router, surely network folks will buy these..

suncityrk said:   Still good to make it as custom router, surely network folks will buy these..

Do you pay for your own electricity?

dazviking said:   cpabster said:   Danzilla said:   You can run Win 7 on just 1GB (32 bit), and many do, especially Win 7 starter like on many netbooks. That's not to say most system won't see a decent improvement with 2GB. Improvements for more than 2GB depends on what software you're using and it's requirements.

My first desktop had XP and 256MB ram. No problems....until XP kept updating. I had friend who said he stopped all updates, I think after XP SP2 (service pak 2), and had no problems.

My first desktop had human running inside the CPU and I would have to kick them to boot up after I installed XP.

I wish I could send my brick laptop to Joy computing and have them resell it back to me after refurbishing and retattooing it. HP wants $300 just to retattoo so $100 for PC isn't bad when you consider what HP wants for servicing.

Skipping 8 Messages...
deal is dead.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014