• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
FrugalFreak said:   I wish I could send my brick laptop to Joy computing and have them resell it back to me after refurbishing and retattooing it. HP wants $300 just to retattoo so $100 for PC isn't bad when you consider what HP wants for servicing.

That's like saying a $35 dollar oil change is a good deal, because you've always paid $50 before. Yeah, deals are relative, but... A little knowledge goes a long way.

These will also make great dummy terminals for deploying citrixesque type programs.

ywd said:   CCbbaa said:   these machines run linux like a champ!

There's plenty of modern, full featured, AND Lightweight Linux distros such as Puppy Linux or Fedora LXDE that will make these old slow machines run fast! Puppy Linux runs completely in RAM with as little as 128MB RAM.

Linux wont magically make the internet experience on a p4 machine any better.

zarathustrareturns said:   These will also make great dummy terminals for deploying citrixesque type programs.

Not really great anymore. Power hungry and today one can find better alternatives. Even an android USB stick attached to an HDMI monitor is way better and faster.

Wow, they should really pay people to clean these out.

This would be awesome to smash, (Office Space style) for 67 bucks you could have lots of fun.

To be fair, some of these systems aren't bad, considering they are not "used" but "refurbished" and include a one-year warranty. For example, the HP DC7900 is a business-class machine. I build Windows images for a large enterprise, and HP is one of our vendors, so I keep one of every model on hand. I still have a DC7900 at my desk, and it still runs Windows 7, Office 2010, Photoshop, Visual Studio, etc. pretty admirably. If you don't have the money for a current system and you have modest computing needs, this will get you by for a couple of years.

deal is dead.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014