• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Klipsch 3-Piece ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System @ Best Buy - $99.00
was $154.99
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Klipsch 3-Piece ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

These speakers rock. Only downside is you HAVE to use the subwoofer even if you don't want to.

Great price on a terrific-sounding set of speakers. I have these in my home office (paid more than this) and I love them.

I have been using on old set of 4.1's in a 2.1 setup for what seems like the last 10 years and they still rock.

highly recommended.
klipsch or bose and that is it, pretty much, in non-high end exotic speakers..

BananaQ said:   highly recommended.
klipsch or bose and that is it, pretty much, in non-high end exotic speakers..

Please don't ever put these two an equal playing field again.

Bought these and love them. They have dials for the bass and volume on the speakers so you can adjust too your tastes or music/movies. Only downside it the bass can sometimes not be the most punchy, but that usually only requires you to turn the bass down bc they're so powerfull

Green for OP because of the price, but potential buyers beware, this set is nothing like the legendary Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia's from in the early 2000s. This is coming from buying the new one myself and my experiences from finicking with the older ProMedia from back in the days. Cheaper materials are used, less components used, and everything is "featherweight" compared to the original Klipsch 2.1. How this affects sound quality? I cannot contest anything to that. Whatever that may be said, the fact remains true: corners have been cut. It wasn't the same as it used to be. This is from reading other people's reviews, and some of these reviewers compared the newer and the older sets side by side. Some even went as far as gutting the subwoofer to see what materials were put into the older and new subwoofers.

Now here are my observations---

Subwoofer:
Half the weight than it used to be (I can easily palm the subwoofer if my hands were wide enough). From what should be 15 pounds weighs like 5 pounds. There is no main switch nor fuse in the back. From personal research, lower grade amps are used in the subwoofer. The earlier generations had a higher grade amp, but was more prone to overheating.

Speakers:
Speakers wires now soldered into the back of the speaker. Used to be where you plug the speaker wire into the speaker. This means that if your speaker wire is faulty, then you are out on the speaker entirely. It is also featherweight compared to the older generations. Also be aware there is no "OFF" switch so the speaker will always be on. The only way to turn it off is to pull the plug. Your other option is to turn the volume to the lowest setting to minimize power usage. The older generation had an off switch via turning volume knob down all the way. My new set also had slightly bent legs so I had to bend them back to flat position so the speaker won't wobble -- maybe a quality control issue?

My Thoughts:
Now I am not here to tell you to not buy these speakers. It is a good deal and at $99, it is hard to beat. Sound quality is probably just as good as the ones back then. However, for me personally, I could not stand the fact that the quality and care that were put into the original ProMedia's were not inherited by the newer generations. The same goes with the Logitech speaker product lines. The top grade materials and the heart put into the earlier generations are just not there anymore in the newer ones. The quality of my Logitech 2.1 Z-2200 I have from the early 2000s vs the newer 2.1 Logitechs are as different as night and day. The newer ones are missing a heatsink, an off switch, a fuse, a main switch, and the supposedly higher grade materials that made the components heavier. Is heavier better? I can't say in terms of acoustics, but in general sense yes! Klipsch and Logitech speakers are just not the same as it used to be. My 2 cents.

I was about to pull the trigger on this unit until your write up. I'll keep looking, thanks.

I've owned both. Aesthetically there's barely a difference. These are still absolute monsters. They're top-of-the-line.

They blow the competition away.

I replaced my surround system in my family room with these.
And the sub still hits.

Buy.

The best value for 2.1 computer speakers out there. I got mine around 2004 & I've only had to replace the volume control pod stand because the cord that connects to the subwoofer was loose (a common problem which they've fixed in the latest model). These speakers are one of the best buys I've ever made.

bose? the only bose speakers that are worth buying are the quiet comfort 15 headphones and that's only for the best noise canceling feature. sound quality isn't that good. in general, bose for the most part are for suckers and old people that don't know better. they are pricey and the store in the mall is set up all classy like an Apple Store so idiots buy it.

soilderboy said:   I was about to pull the trigger on this unit until your write up. I'll keep looking, thanks.

you'll have to spend a lot more to get something better than this. like monitors and a good subwoofer will defintely be better, but only worth it if you're an audiophile and it'll cost a lot more. even ps3's are made with cheaper plastic like legos nowadays vs the original ps3. everyone's making stuff with lesser cheaper costing material to profit more. as long as it works fine who cares. this price is too good to pass up. i just put in an order cuz my speakers have been doing this weird varying volume thing for years and the last time these were on sale i missed out. i also had $20 in bestbuy gift cards to use so it came out to $87.99 after tax. sweet deal.

eliotness said:   The best value for 2.1 computer speakers out there. I got mine around 2004 & I've only had to replace the volume control pod stand because the cord that connects to the subwoofer was loose (a common problem which they've fixed in the latest model). These speakers are one of the best buys I've ever made.

"These speakers are one of the best buys I've ever made." -- No pun intended

If you are looking for a 2.1 speaker and primary using it for audio and videos on your PC, I think these are BAR NONE the best in its class. I had these, the fuse blew out twice, but the final nail in the coffin was the 6pin plug they use to connect one of the satellite to the subwoofer. I guess mine broke after moving it too many times. I hope they had fixed this.

As its replacement, at the time I couldn't find a deal, and settled for the Logitech Z2300. What a big mistake they were. Sure, the Logitech Z2300 were also THX, 200 watts, but that's where the similarities stopped. Let's start with the bass, the Klipsch could go to high volume without distortion. You can still make out one low note from another. Whereas, the Logitech Z2300, it was a little too muddy. Think of it this way, you drove up next to someone on the road who has a kicker in their trunk. All you can hear is that pulsating boom boom boom while your rib-cage raddled - not necessarily the song. That's how I feel about the Z2300.

The more major problem of the Z2300 is the lack of mids. Seems to me they only have high and low. Every marching band I listen to only have snares and bass drums. I wouldn't let this problem go away lightly, so out of desperation, I took my Klipsch satellites, which were still in good working conditions, and set them up in parallels to the Z2300. Problem solved...for now.

In short, if you're considering a PC 2.1 speakers, these are IT, don't look anywhere else, especially not the Z2300. I would imagine the Klipsch iFi as the step up if your pockets are deep.

If your'e debating about needing a 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, do you really need it? Unless you listen to FLAC, play video games that support 4.1+ or watch uncompressed movies, then no need. Also factor into correct speaker positioning, ample amp, size of room, and the material of your walls (yes, why you think Bose demo rooms sound so good).

PS. I'd hate to nitpick, but they need to add an ON/OFF button on the satellite if they haven't yet. Otherwise, what I had to do was crawl under my desk, and voila, the off switch is behind the desk, through the cables, and under woods.

Cheap circuitry burns out in a year or less. I've owned this junk. If you're lucky they'll last maybe a year and a half.

loop2kil said:   I have been using on old set of 4.1's in a 2.1 setup for what seems like the last 10 years and they still rock.

Same here, the volume knob is only sorta working at this point though, have to kinda fiddle with it to get sound in both speakers.

I own an old version of these and have loved them for years. The sub blew out last week after years of good service. I was going to replace these with the same set, but i think I may go with the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III now. They rate a bit higher and I saw them for about $139 somewhere.

They don't make 'em like this anymooooooooooo

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014