• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Q190 Pictures
Disclaimer
IdeaCentre Q190 - 57312246
Spec: Celeron 887 / Windows 8 64 / Intel HD Graphics / 4GB DDR3 / USB Keyboard & Moure / 1TB 5400RPM HDD (!) / Broadcom b/g/n wireless / 6-in-1-card reader / HDMI
Wonderful mini desktop / HTPC ( 6.1" x 0.9" x 7.6" ONLY! )

Member Summary

Lenovo IdeaCenter Q190
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

celeron, no thanks

People are still equating the word Celeron with the early (and admittedly awful) Celeron processors. Intel should probably change the name of this CPU, but seriously "critten", your opinion of these CPU's is from the 90's. The newest gen Celerons are just fine.

really man, just fine if you love to waste money on bad products....

1.http://novabench.com/cpuchart.php?a=1
CPU Name AVG. Score AVG. MHz Sample Size
Intel Celeron 887 1.50GHz 142 1500 2
Intel Celeron G465 1.90GHz 164 1904 1
Intel Core i3-2130 3.40GHz 421 3401 36

2. they put a notebook CELERON into a desktop, granted it is small, the Dell is equally small for a small price increase.Even the 299.99 is better.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/popular-desktop-deals

so yes the celeron is just fine....second off I never used this benchmark site so I could be a total idiot BUT it is hard to find a place that will bench a notebook processor and desktop processor in a uniform way.

critten said:   really man, just fine if you love to waste money on bad products....

1.http://novabench.com/cpuchart.php?a=1
CPU Name AVG. Score AVG. MHz Sample Size
Intel Celeron 887 1.50GHz 142 1500 2
Intel Celeron G465 1.90GHz 164 1904 1
Intel Core i3-2130 3.40GHz 421 3401 36

2. they put a notebook CELERON into a desktop, granted it is small, the Dell is equally small for a small price increase.Even the 299.99 is better.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/popular-desktop-deals

so yes the celeron is just fine....second off I never used this benchmark site so I could be a total idiot BUT it is hard to find a place that will bench a notebook processor and desktop processor in a uniform way.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Nowhere in your link is one of these micro HTPC systems. The Dell is definitely not "equally small", unless the definition of the word equal has changed. I don't think you understand how very, very, very small this HTPC is. The one in your link is 10.4 inches, this Lenovo is 7.6 inches. As far as small machines go, that's a HUGE difference, just ask your wife.

I have a similar HTPC mounted on the back of my TV. Mine is just slightly bigger than a slice of bread. These computers are not made to do fast and complex processing, they are made for media consumption, web browsing, and audio/video streaming. And to those ends, this Celery 887 is not only perfectly fine, it's one of the best available CPU's in this class of computer. Compared to the most high-powered CPU's out there, it's ridiculously slow (link). But again, the intent of this CPU is different. It's meant to consume very little power, remain on all the time, and do basic tasks.

This HTPC comes with the right size and shape to fit in your living room / Home Theater room...
Celeron 887 with Intel HD is not suitable for heavy 3D gaming, but it will serve the BD / MKV / MP4 play just fine.
I just don't understand why other PC manufactor not to consider USFF PC in this way ( even Dell's USFF Optiplex line can not match this size )

Will this celeron be able to play Netflix/hulu on 1080p fluidly without dropping frames? Other mini-HTPC boxes (Atoms and the like) still couldn't do this the last time I checked...

I wonder how this compares to the newer Zotac Zboxs. Zotac has so many models with so many CPU/video choices it makes my head spin. Anyone know how to buy these Q190's without an OS or hard drive? I'd like to possibly pop an SSD or Hybrid drive and load Win7. I've seen people post backdoor links to essentially barebones Lenovo's in the past but not sure how they do it. Also, it looks like the MasterCard Marketplace deals for Lenovo are dead. Anyone know of any affiliate deals still alive?

There are much better options out there.
Ainol Novo 7 Crystal Android dual cores CPU+Quad cores GPU.
Android TV stick
Cheapo Android Tablets
Plus $6.99 Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 1000 Blue @Frys

b16899 said:   There are much better options out there.
Ainol Novo 7 Crystal Android dual cores CPU+Quad cores GPU.
Android TV stick
Cheapo Android Tablets
Plus $6.99 Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 1000 Blue @Frys

Any SFF HTPC with Nvidia ION or AMD Fusion when they drop under $250 is an option too.

Ainol Novo 7 Crystal is a Google nexus 7 clone tablet with HDMI/BlueTooth/Touchpad/LCDScreen/TFCardSlot/WiFiBGN/GPS... around $120
Android TV stick is around $40
Cheapo Android Tablets range from $40 - $90
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse can be run on any surface with 1 AA/10 months, using as a pointer and swipe...(can be run even in pc bios mode with no drive required)
Plus there are thousands of FREE Apps in Google Play store.
Basically, you can set up your "65 inch HDTV" as a "Google Nexus 65 Tablet".
Everything you can do with a Google Nexus 7 you can do them with a "Google Nexus 65 Tablet".

I agreed that Android tablet PC with HDMI connection may provide media / app functions to TV, however that's the appe-to-orange comparison...
How about the following home theater tasks?
a. Use hdhomerun prime to steam / record HDTV shows from OTA / Cable company on windows media server
b. Play your Netflix Blu-ray discs
Just my 2 cents....

Word of warning: I purchased the Q180, which I know is a step down. It did not work well for streaming anything other than live cable (HD Home Run Prime). Conversion of recorded television, in particular, was awful. But the real issue for me was the inability to get ANY customer service or technical support from Lenovo. I spent hours waiting on the phone or to chat. Eventually I gave up and was able to find a representative (from sales) willing to approve a return without the restocking fee. The computer may or may not be good--my Lenovo laptop for work is awesome, but we have our own tech people--but the customer service was enough to make me want never to buy Lenovo again

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014