• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

Regularly $679.99, on sale for $427.99 (-37% off BB regular and -22% off of next-best price). Good deal if you missed out on the Samsung 40" (UN40EH5050) on sale at Costco last weekend ($419.99). (I'm still weirded out by 120 Hz -- like watching a soap opera.)

Free shipping or in-store pick-up.

Model: UN40EH5000FXZA
SKU: 5012276

Rated 4.3/5.0 (6 reviews) on BestBuy.com
Rated 4.7/5.0 (22) on Samsung.com
Rated 4.4/5.0 (175) on Amazon.com

(I'm planning on returning the 39" Insignia I bought for $250 last weekend and upgrading to this instead.)

Comparison prices (11/30):
- Amazon: $642.93
- Target: $549.99
- Sears: $549.99
- Adorama: $547.99

Member Summary

UN40EH5000FXZA
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Regularly $679.99
On sale for $427.99

Free shipping or in-store pick-up.

Model: UN40EH5000FXZA
SKU: 5012276

60 Hz
1080p
LED
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Its probably not the 120Hz. It's the picture smoothing the Tv is doing. Google Tv looks like a soap opera for about a million results. Had the same problem on my Samsung.

"This over-smoothing is easily remedied. If you go to the picture settings in the main menu, then into the advanced picture settings, you will be able to turn the motion interpolation off."

Kicking myself i missed out on the costco one

Is this an IPS screen?

Here's some more information.

Specs page from Samsung
Specs PDF
AVS Forum page
Review on TelevisionInfo

I plan to hook up my old HTPC to this, so having just two HDMI inputs doesn't bother me. (You also could use the component for a third input, if you had to.) In fact, on my main television, my HTPC serves as both DVR and Blu-ray player. If having two HDMIs is too few, then this TV may not be for you.

I didn't see any information indicated that it's an IPS display, so I'd assume not, unless that's standard for Samsung HDTVs. This is only the 5000 series after all (even though the TelevisionInfo reviewer prefers this to the 6000 series equivalent).

Mercx said:   Kicking myself i missed out on the costco one

This could be your chance to rectify the situation, especially if you have an AMEX and take advantage of the Facebook sync deal ($20 statement credit) -- that's my stance. FWCB came across as $10 (2.3%), which eliminates the price difference. Yeah, you lose out on the extra year of warranty, but Samsungs should be pretty reliable.

Also, BB has a good holiday return policy, so if you see something better come along, you can always return it.

Hoogineer said:   Mercx said:   Kicking myself i missed out on the costco one

This could be your chance to rectify the situation, especially if you have an AMEX and take advantage of the Facebook sync deal ($20 statement credit) -- that's my stance. FWCB came across as $10 (2.3%), which eliminates the price difference. Yeah, you lose out on the extra year of warranty, but Samsungs should be pretty reliable.

Also, BB has a good holiday return policy, so if you see something better come along, you can always return it.

Hmm thanks for the tip didnt see the AMEX deal. So youre buying online for instore pick up to get the FWCB?

Mercx said:   Hoogineer said:   Mercx said:   Kicking myself i missed out on the costco one

Hmm thanks for the tip didnt see the AMEX deal. So youre buying online for instore pick up to get the FWCB?

You got it. I ordered around midnight and it's ready for pick-up; I have over a week to go pick it up. Buy-online, pickup-in-store is my go-to (especially for Sears) for receiving FWCB.

With both deals, it's slightly cheaper than the Costco model:
BB: ($427.99 * 1.05) - ($427.99 * 0.024) - $20 = $419.12
C: ($419.99 * 1.05) = $440.99

Regardless of your sales tax rate, you'd save $21. (1.05 = 5% sales tax)

Again: Is this the Toshiba $179 deal? No. But I wanted an LED-backlit set and I wasn't going to wait in line late at night to purchase something.

For those who are concerned with only two HDMI, you should really consider a good Receiver that does video switching as well. The whole point of a TV is really to be a big monitor. Once you have a large number of devices you should be using the receiver to switch them for you. I have only one HDMI running to my TV, but have 5 devices hooked to my receiver (some hdmi, some component, etc)

FuzzyWuzzyDan said:   For those who are concerned with only two HDMI, you should really consider a good Receiver that does video switching as well. The whole point of a TV is really to be a big monitor. Once you have a large number of devices you should be using the receiver to switch them for you. I have only one HDMI running to my TV, but have 5 devices hooked to my receiver (some hdmi, some component, etc)

Any suggested "Receiver"?

Thanks

FuzzyWuzzyDan said:   For those who are concerned with only two HDMI, you should really consider a good Receiver that does video switching as well. The whole point of a TV is really to be a big monitor. Once you have a large number of devices you should be using the receiver to switch them for you. I have only one HDMI running to my TV, but have 5 devices hooked to my receiver (some hdmi, some component, etc)

Completely agree: the primary job of your TV is to display an awesome picture; everything else is ancillary. E.g., you can outsource "Smart TV" features to your Roku, BD player, HTPC, etc.

Hoogineer said:   FuzzyWuzzyDan said:   For those who are concerned with only two HDMI, you should really consider a good Receiver that does video switching as well. The whole point of a TV is really to be a big monitor. Once you have a large number of devices you should be using the receiver to switch them for you. I have only one HDMI running to my TV, but have 5 devices hooked to my receiver (some hdmi, some component, etc)

Completely agree: the primary job of your TV is to display an awesome picture; everything else is ancillary. E.g., you can outsource "Smart TV" features to your Roku, BD player, HTPC, etc.

TiVo shows off Pace-built XG1 six-tuner gateway DVR

Should I be concerned about this TV being only 60HZ?
Won't be watching much sports but would this TV experience "blur" while watching HD TV programming and movies?
I'm tempted to buy this but need some advice from someone that has experienced regular viewing on both 120 HZ and 60 HZ.

me072 said:   Should I be concerned about this TV being only 60HZ?
Won't be watching much sports but would this TV experience "blur" while watching HD TV programming and movies?
I'm tempted to buy this but need some advice from someone that has experienced regular viewing on both 120 HZ and 60 HZ.

My opinion is that 120 Hz makes television look (for lack of a better term) "soap-opera-y". I have been watching a 60 Hz LCD HDTV for five years and am used to how it looks and have no complaints. Having said that, I could be missing out and not know it, although I have several coworkers who feel the same way. 120 Hz supposedly is more suitable for sports viewing; e.g., it might be easier to track the path of a pass on a football game.

I'll let someone with more time in front of a 120 Hz TV share his/her opinion, though.

if you guys have an xbox360 and have played halo4 and have an American Express (lots of conditionals!!), then complete a spartan ops mission and then get 50 off 100 from best buy purchase!! I am waiting for my email confirmation from AMEX and hoping this deal stays put!!

This is no longer available

heatheriya said:   This is no longer available $549.99 now -- que lastima.

I finally picked my set up today. It looks good; much sturdier and higher build quality than the Insignia 39" one that I returned. No pixel problems that I can detect. I'll update this post with any other findings. I'm glad I spent the extra money to get a higher-quality display (although I was strongly considering spending an extra $50 [after Amazon promo credit] for the Panasonic Viera 42" 120 Hz Smart TV model that I posted.)

It's marked as having a TS02 panel, which AVS Forum indicates is the better variation.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014