• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
linky

Phone is cheap but unlock code on eBay is expensive...

Quad band, according to Samsung

Unlocking instructions, thanks to dwarf2k. Note that this method may wipe out the IMEI making the phone unusable on some networks.

thanks pickleboy123 @ SD

Best Buy
See Best Buy promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Samsung A157 (23.47kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I spent 45 monutes on the phone with AT&T trying to get the unlock code for this phone. They told me they cannot get on... (more)

DarthEnol (Mar. 20, 2013 @ 10:32a) |

Did it reset the IMEI number? Does your IMEI number shows up fine?

tsanju (Apr. 04, 2013 @ 8:43p) |

Reset to all zeros. Whatever...it still works fine. I did write down the IMEI for my own records, just in case.

DarthEnol (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 7:51a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Can I take the SIM card from my current AT&T phone and drop it into this phone for immediate use or will I need to do more to activate this?

I'm not up-to-date on current cellphone tech although this is hardly state-of-the-art. I just don't know if it's still true that you can move over to a new phone simply by putting your current SIM card in.

n00ber said:   Can I take the SIM card from my current AT&T phone and drop it into this phone for immediate use or will I need to do more to activate this?
Yes, the swap normally works with nothing further to do.

This will be great for transferring my folk's home line from Verizon to Google Voice. I'll just have to port from Verizon to AT&T, then from AT&T to GV.

Yes I'm pretty sure all gophones allow to take your current at&t sim (prepaid or postpaid), put it in this phone, and use it immediately.

Can i have the phone unlocked from att? is this quad band or dual band?

chipmonger said:   This will be great for transferring my folk's home line from Verizon to Google Voice. I'll just have to port from Verizon to AT&T, then from AT&T to GV.

GV would charge you $20 for porting. Just a heads-up.

these are great - quad-band phones - just baught 4 to send oversease - its cheaper to unlock them in other countries .

still the best phone I ever used on TMobile Prepaid is the similar T139

I highly recommend the T-Mo T139 for someone that just needs a reliable bullet proof phone for just calling people

neeedcoupon said:   Can i have the phone unlocked from att? is this quad band or dual band?At&t will unlock a GoPhone 6 months after activation, also the sim card is locked to the phone for 6 months. So you can't swap the sim to another phone.

I have an unlock procedure from a while back that works with many of the Samsung axxx model phones. If anyone tries it let us know if it works. I will pick one up later today and give it a try.
http://thejmart.com/samunlock.pdf

Does AT&T still unlock if you call and say you are going abroad? It used to do this.

jimates said:   I have an unlock procedure from a while back that works with many of the Samsung axxx model phones. If anyone tries it let us know if it works. I will pick one up later today and give it a try.

Could you pls share if the unlock code is working?
I plan to get one a a spare/emergency phone (keep in my car).
TIA.

$10 for a quadband is a good deal!
If jimates unlock works, would be great!!

germanpope said:   still the best phone I ever used on TMobile Prepaid is the similar T139

I highly recommend the T-Mo T139 for someone that just needs a reliable bullet proof phone for just calling people

I have a T139 also. Great phone, but only dual band. If you want bluetooth and you're okay with dual-band, find a T139 cheap.

mail2genious said:   chipmonger said:   This will be great for transferring my folk's home line from Verizon to Google Voice. I'll just have to port from Verizon to AT&T, then from AT&T to GV.

My memory is this is easier to do via Tmobile than AT&T, because AT&T makes you buy a $15 refill card to do it (whereas Tmobile will let you do it with just the 10 minutes that come on the $1.99 activation kits you can buy)

mail2genious said:   chipmonger said:   This will be great for transferring my folk's home line from Verizon to Google Voice. I'll just have to port from Verizon to AT&T, then from AT&T to GV.

Thanks, I'm aware though. Still cheaper in one month than what they spend on Verizon. Cut $80/month off their phone/internet/cable tv by moving bundling their cable tv/internet and moving to GV. I increased their internet speed from 1.5 mbps to over 20 mbps as well. Total cost was $100 - $60 for Motorola DOCIS 3.0 cable modem/$40 for the VOIP adapter; gave them a spare router/cables/odds and ends I had.

Pulled the trigger and ordered two.

n00ber said:   Can I take the SIM card from my current AT&T phone and drop it into this phone for immediate use or will I need to do more to activate this?

I'm not up-to-date on current cellphone tech although this is hardly state-of-the-art. I just don't know if it's still true that you can move over to a new phone simply by putting your current SIM card in.

The short answer is yes, as I have been doing this for years. However, I bought this very same phone on black Friday at Radio Shack at the same price and when I dropped my 3 year old post-paid ATT sim in, the phone said SIM error. I called ATT, they tried to reset and then told me I would have to go to a store to get a new SIM card. Went over, the store employee dropped the new SIM card and it worked fine.

Just don't do what I did and gleefully throw away the old SIM in the store underneath someones turkey and mashed potato leftover sandwich, only to realize hours later that you stored your contact/address book on the SIM card and are a complete idiot.

Yall rock! N 4 1!

jimates said:   neeedcoupon said:   Can i have the phone unlocked from att? is this quad band or dual band?At&t will unlock a GoPhone 6 months after activation, also the sim card is locked to the phone for 6 months. So you can't swap the sim to another phone.

I want to be able to use the phone overseas GSM network..I would like to get it unlocked.. Please let me know if anyone was able to get it unlocked with the unlocked procedure provided on the form.

jimates said:   I have an unlock procedure from a while back that works with many of the Samsung axxx model phones. If anyone tries it let us know if it works. I will pick one up later today and give it a try.

Hey let us know if it worked and the steps you followed from start to finish .. We are counting on you

So am I.

Just ordered one. Thanks OP.
Samsung A-series phones should be unlockable.

Thanks OP!

neeedcoupon said:   jimates said:   neeedcoupon said:   Can i have the phone unlocked from att? is this quad band or dual band?At&t will unlock a GoPhone 6 months after activation, also the sim card is locked to the phone for 6 months. So you can't swap the sim to another phone.

I want to be able to use the phone overseas GSM network..I would like to get it unlocked.. Please let me know if anyone was able to get it unlocked with the unlocked procedure provided on the form.

The unlock code is on eBay for about $1
Unlocking does not necessarily mean it will work in Europe it all depends on the radio frequencies the phone is set up to use and those of the country to be used in.

For those who do not know, all you have to do is insert your current sim card in this phone to use it.
Since this is an AT&T phone the sim card insertion is referring to an AT&T sim card

yesidonoitall said:   For those who do not know, all you have to do is insert your current sim card in this phone to use it.

Not always. Only if you are a at&t customer. Sometimes they lock the sim to the phone for six months. Not sure about this particular model.

Thanks. In for 2.

alamo11 said:   yesidonoitall said:   For those who do not know, all you have to do is insert your current sim card in this phone to use it.

Not always. Only if you are a at&t customer. Sometimes they lock the sim to the phone for six months. Not sure about this particular model.

I have added to my post..
Since this is an AT&T phone the sim card insertion is referring to an AT&T sim card

alamo11 said:   yesidonoitall said:   For those who do not know, all you have to do is insert your current sim card in this phone to use it.

RE:
Sometimes they lock the sim to the phone for six months

I sell about 30 a week, as a replacement for AT&T, just insert your current full size sim card, and never a buyer who said it did not work.

In for one. $10 cheaper than Wal-Mart for the same item and can pick up in-store. Will make a perfect gift for my mom who doesn't have a cell phone yet (I know right!) Changing to a family plan so just need a sim card to insert and hopefully will be good to go.

Does this include any airtime?

Is it possible to not activate the phone (take SIM out)and use say, Skype, for calls over WiFi?

In for 2, was able to use my $20 off code from Best Buy.

WM will match the price instore if there is a BB in your area.
Radio Shack also.....

fixfox69 said:   Is it possible to not activate the phone (take SIM out)and use say, Skype, for calls over WiFi?

WM (dot com only) has the LG528g touchscreen smart telly for $29.88
It has wifi and will work without activation, maybe Skype will work on it, maybe not.

"The unlock code is on eBay for about $1"

checked eBay shows 24+ can you provide a link?

yesidonoitall said:   fixfox69 said:   Is it possible to not activate the phone (take SIM out)and use say, Skype, for calls over WiFi?

WM (dot com only) has the LG528g touchscreen smart telly for $29.88
It has wifi and will work without activation, maybe Skype will work on it, maybe not.
OOS right now, they will get more, but better beat me to them.

Skipping 90 Messages...
Reset to all zeros. Whatever...it still works fine. I did write down the IMEI for my own records, just in case.

tsanju said:   Did it reset the IMEI number? Does your IMEI number shows up fine?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014