• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core PC Kit – 8GB DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte Motherboard, 500w PSU and Thermaltake V9 Black Mid-Tower Case $150AR @TigerDirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details...

Tiger Direct
See Tiger Direct discounts that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

PC Bundle
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
While I have not seen super hot deals today, I would highly suggest grabbing a deal on a 120 or 240GB SSD. For HDD's I ... (more)

Logician1313 (Dec. 05, 2012 @ 8:53a) |

Can you transfer your old hard drive, operating system included, and other cards to use with this new board?

Is there a w... (more)

Kid9 (Dec. 05, 2012 @ 10:45a) |

How is TigerDirect about rebates? If I remember correct, their rebates don't come.
This deal has 4 REBATES which involve... (more)

icecow (Dec. 07, 2012 @ 6:54p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good bundle with quality components.

f2000sa said:   Good bundle with quality components.

I agree.

I am completely happy with the barebone that I bought from TigerDirect a couple years back --- the rebates came in and everything worked great. The only bad thing I can say about it was the power supply --- it was a no-name brand and outlasted it's 1 year warranty by 1 month. I've heard that a failing power supply can damage other components that it is connected to, so it's not something to cheap out on. I can't find reviews for the PSU in this particular kit, but Bestbuy lists it on their site for $17. I would say the PSU is probably the first thing you would want to upgrade if you decide to buy this.

So what of your own do you need to add to make it complete?

ablang said:   So what of your own do you need to add to make it complete?

Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Operating System

blueribb said:   ablang said:   So what of your own do you need to add to make it complete?

Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Operating System

A real PSU wouldn't hurt.

noapathy said:   blueribb said:   ablang said:   So what of your own do you need to add to make it complete?

Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Operating System

A real PSU wouldn't hurt.

And realistically a decent video card if you plan on doing any sort of gaming besides Farmville on it.

Ordered a set as a "tinkering" PC... thanks Butcherboy!

It says Free Shipping, but I can't figure out how to get the free shipping...it's trying to charge me ~$13 for shipping.....

Anyone know who makes the PSU?

Slickone said:   Anyone know who makes the PSU?From TD page:
Coolmax 500W Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan - Qty: 1
Power Supply Specifications
Form Factor ATX
Wattage 500W
Special Features Low Noise Cooling Fan
Serial ATA 150 Ready
Fan 120 mm
+3.3V 22 A
+5V 21 A
+12V 1 34 A
+12V Rails 1
-12V 1 A
+5VSB 2.5 A
MTBF 100,000 Hours

If this is the ZX-500 it's $20 AR with 4 eggs.

Unbelieevable said:   It says Free Shipping, but I can't figure out how to get the free shipping...it's trying to charge me ~$13 for shipping.....

Just choose Econoship at checkout - but are you in the 48 states?

ablang said:   So what of your own do you need to add to make it complete?

Flux capacitor

Any suggestions on a lesser priced PSU that might help the setup?

cattlet said:   Slickone said:   Anyone know who makes the PSU?From TD page:
Coolmax 500W Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan - Qty: 1
Power Supply Specifications
Form Factor ATX
Wattage 500W
Special Features Low Noise Cooling Fan
Serial ATA 150 Ready
Fan 120 mm
+3.3V 22 A
+5V 21 A
+12V 1 34 A
+12V Rails 1
-12V 1 A
+5VSB 2.5 A
MTBF 100,000 Hours

If this is the ZX-500 it's $20 AR with 4 eggs.

I read that. I meant who actually makes it, not what brand it is. Does Coolmax make PSU's?

rmf1981 said:   Any suggestions on a lesser priced PSU that might help the setup?

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W PSU $19.99 after rebate and coupon. I have bought several when they are $16.99 after rebate and have been very happy.

Slickone said:   I read that. I meant who actually makes it, not what brand it is. Does Coolmax make PSU's?Dunno. Their HQ is in Taiwan, so maybe they do make their own.

The model BTW is the I500.

It's a bundle, I doubt there are substitutions...

Logician1313 said:   rmf1981 said:   Any suggestions on a lesser priced PSU that might help the setup?

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W PSU $19.99 after rebate and coupon. I have bought several when they are $16.99 after rebate and have been very happy.

Logician1313 said:   rmf1981 said:   Any suggestions on a lesser priced PSU that might help the setup?

Yes! Get this, look for some HDD deals, I snagged the 50$ SSD on BF. For an OS grab an unactivated copy of windows 7, then do the 40$ upgrade to windows 8 pro.. Cheaper if you can get a COA off another computer.

NOTE: I do not promote stealing or otherwise using stolen COA's. "Borrow" at your own risk.

The motherboard does not have a USB 3.0 connector. . .

It may be worth looking closely at that mobo to make sure it will fit your needs. It appears (and I could be wrong) that if you have any sort of double wide video card that your only other pci-e slot will be covered. Could be a deal killer if you use a pci-e sound or wireless card.

comprx said:   Slickone said:   I read that. I meant who actually makes it, not what brand it is. Does Coolmax make PSU's?Dunno. Their HQ is in Taiwan, so maybe they do make their own.

I wonder what the difference is, they look the same, and the description is the same.

purvis said:   The motherboard does not have a USB 3.0 connector. . .

You have to remember, this kit is only $150. I'm pretty sure that since it's only Sata2 and not Sata3, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the high speeds of a solid state drive either.

shilo101 said:   It may be worth looking closely at that mobo to make sure it will fit your needs. It appears (and I could be wrong) that if you have any sort of double wide video card that your only other pci-e slot will be covered. Could be a deal killer if you use a pci-e sound or wireless card.

I think you are correct. I have a similar Gigabyte motherboard and the graphic card that I installed covers that 2nd slot. Also, if I was to install something in the PCI slot underneath the (covered) PCI-E, it would basically block the fans that are underneath my graphic card.

cattlet said:   comprx said:   Slickone said:   I read that. I meant who actually makes it, not what brand it is. Does Coolmax make PSU's?Dunno. Their HQ is in Taiwan, so maybe they do make their own.

I wonder what the difference is, they look the same, and the description is the same.

The ZX one is 80 PLUS rated:

coolmaxusa dot com said: Coolmax ZX series offer 80 PLUS levels of energy efficiency

More about 80 PLUS and efficiency: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)#Effici...

Note that the Corsair PSU Logician1313 mentioned is 80 PLUS Bronze certified.

Slickone said:   Anyone know who makes the PSU?No help from the UL number because it's registered in Coolmax's own name. Here's Oklahoma Wolf's review of a different 500W Coolmax, model CP-500T instead of I-500: Jonnyguru link. It did OK but couldn't quite put out the rated 500W, and inside the circuit board was labelled for 400W and good for up to 450W. It looks sort of like my 500W Antec BasiQ, which was made by FSP (Fortron-Source Power), but I can't be sure. As for CoolMax in general, Oklahoma Wolf wrote an assuring, "Will it explode like the last one?"

purvis said:   The motherboard does not have a USB 3.0 connector. . .eBay has decent NEC-based 4-port USB 3.0 PCI-E 1x cards for under $15, delivered. An NEC chipset is the safest choice.

Thanks...figured out the problem...it didn't like the fact that I had a business name listed on the shipping address. I removed that, and the free shipping option popped up.

edavid said:   Unbelieevable said:   It says Free Shipping, but I can't figure out how to get the free shipping...it's trying to charge me ~$13 for shipping.....

Just choose Econoship at checkout - but are you in the 48 states?

johnney5 said:   purvis said:   The motherboard does not have a USB 3.0 connector. . .

You have to remember, this kit is only $150. I'm pretty sure that since it's only Sata2 and not Sata3, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the high speeds of a solid state drive either.

shilo101 said:   It may be worth looking closely at that mobo to make sure it will fit your needs. It appears (and I could be wrong) that if you have any sort of double wide video card that your only other pci-e slot will be covered. Could be a deal killer if you use a pci-e sound or wireless card.

I think you are correct. I have a similar Gigabyte motherboard and the graphic card that I installed covers that 2nd slot. Also, if I was to install something in the PCI slot underneath the (covered) PCI-E, it would basically block the fans that are underneath my graphic card.

cattlet said:   comprx said:   Slickone said:   I read that. I meant who actually makes it, not what brand it is. Does Coolmax make PSU's?Dunno. Their HQ is in Taiwan, so maybe they do make their own.

The ZX one is 80 PLUS rated:

coolmaxusa dot com said: Coolmax ZX series offer 80 PLUS levels of energy efficiency

More about 80 PLUS and efficiency: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)#Effici...

Note that the Corsair PSU Logician1313 mentioned is 80 PLUS Bronze certified.

Thanks for the suggestions above for another PSU. I've been looking to replace a "frankenbuild" Home server and this might just be the ticket - hence the lack of USB 3.0 and Sata3 isn't a huge deal to me. That speed won't be missed. For the right application this is a pretty good deal.

Any good HDD deals people have seen lately?

rmf1981 said:   Any good HDD deals people have seen lately?

While I have not seen super hot deals today, I would highly suggest grabbing a deal on a 120 or 240GB SSD. For HDD's I saw these two:

Toshiba (HDKPC03 DT01ACA100) 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $59.99 After $10 MIR & FS at TigerDirect

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $69.99 at Newegg

blueribb said:   ablang said:   So what of your own do you need to add to make it complete?

Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Operating System

Can you transfer your old hard drive, operating system included, and other cards to use with this new board?

Is there a way to hook an external WI-FI with this unit?

Have my current desktop for 11 yrs. & replaced only the power supply and hard drive. Afraid one day the processor's, etc. is going to puke.

Things would definitely move a lot faster with this motherboard than with my current 700mhz Duron processor.

$150 is a lot cheaper than a laptop I would rather purchase.

How is TigerDirect about rebates? If I remember correct, their rebates don't come.
This deal has 4 REBATES which involves registering online and sending in via snail mail. I ordered this, but after seeing the 4 rebates I tried using the 'chat online' feature on their web site to cancel the order. Even though it was mid-afternoon the chat was closed. So I call the 800 number. After 15 min on hold I was disconnected (the while time the message was apologizing for the wait and spamming me with ink offers). I called back and got the same thing for 25+ min till I just hung up. I'm not sure what to do now. I might put a 'Refuse Package' sign on my door. I've never done that before, I'm told it's no big deal. I called UPS and asked if there was a charge if I put up a "refuse" sign. He said there was no charge to me, and implied there was no charge for the shipper. After going about 3 rounds with the UPS CS guy about if there was a charge to the shipper (I want to be sensitive to the companies I deal with) He put me on hold (2 min) and came back and said the original shipment charge isn't refunded. There was free shipping on this order so I'm not sure if Tiger Direct will eat the shipping or make the shipping not free since I returned it. Apparently, If I paid shipping I would not get that back.

Sorry for the rant, but if this helps anyone figure out their business in our increasingly complex/shady consumer world I don't mind typing it out.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014