• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Virgin Mobile Venture Android Phone with Wifi, Touchscreen, keyboard $20 shipped (Can be used as a super cheap mp3 player, or as a GPS, house phone, etc.)Not the greatest phone, but you can use it as an mp3, just put it in airplane mode. You can also use the Wifi without being a VM customer.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/venture-phone/fe...

VENTURE™
Break into the world of Android™-powered phones with this little beauty. Featuring a 2.8" touchscreen, QWERTY keyboard, and a 2.0MP camera & camcorder.

$20, with free shipping. Dont't forget CashBack.

Credit goes to The_Linux_Crew at SD.

Virgin Mobile
See Virgin Mobile coupons that earn $17.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

virgin mobile
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Scroll up a few posts to read a post on that issue by user named Yo Ma-Ma and my reply with additional info.

thc (Dec. 09, 2012 @ 6:17a) |

People asked about Google Play Music.

Basically, the UI is horribly slow. Grinds to a halt. Audio playback is poor even w... (more)

asuka (Dec. 09, 2012 @ 10:14a) |

ok thanks i see its CDMA so no sim card so question is moot.
thanks again

frank10b (Dec. 09, 2012 @ 2:35p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Android 2.3
2.8" screen
2GB Card included

Good deal, can use GrooveIP on it for free calling and Google Voice for free txting $0/mo service, as long as you're connected to wifi

looks like $5 CashBack from FW...

I wonder how many phones you could buy from VM and not activate before they refused to ship you any more...

Can you unlock it without first topping it off with $80?
What provider can you use it with if unlocked (Sprint only)?

psxzombie said:   looks like $5 CashBack from FW...

Yep, I've ordered 3 with Cash Back on each. 2 are out of the PENDING stage and AVAILABLE so looks like it works for multiple order. Makes this phone $15 each. Activation nag message whenever you power it on but they do work great over WiFi without activation. Don't see why it couldn't be unlocked without activation, all android ops work with no issues.

lots of bad reviews.

Use it as a mp3/wifi player? On the fence about one.

is this considered a smart phone?

manderson660 said:   is this considered a smart phone?

Yes. It is a Smartphone.
But then, use smartly.

Can I use WhatsApp on this phone......i have an ATT phone....can i use that number

TheRatsWon said:   psxzombie said:   looks like $5 CashBack from FW...

Yep, I've ordered 3 with Cash Back on each. 2 are out of the PENDING stage and AVAILABLE so looks like it works for multiple order. Makes this phone $15 each. Activation nag message whenever you power it on but they do work great over WiFi without activation. Don't see why it couldn't be unlocked without activation, all android ops work with no issues.

On a lot of Android phones there is an activation bypass trick. Or maybe it could be activated on VM for cheap? I know VM is aggressive on getting customers to refill. So three things, is there an activation bypass trick, 2 what is the cheapest activation cost, & 3 if activation does stop VM from nagging about refilling with free reminder texts etc.?

Activation bypass = root and custom rom install?

Can I use WhatsApp on this phone......i have an ATT phone....can i use that number

I too, ordered a Virgin Venture (order presently 'Pending'). I almost threw the keyboard through the window while trying to get the dumb 'phone order to go through. That's the 'order' which I am calling dumb, not the 'phone. Venture is supposed to be a smart 'phone.

After many frustrating tries of doing the old copy-and-paste, to fill the info boxes and finally removing the number 1 leading my telephone number, the order went through. Couldn't believe how hard I worked to get Virgin to take my money (sigh).

couponit said:   Can I use WhatsApp on this phone......i have an ATT phone....can i use that number

As far as I can tell from play.google.com you can use whatsapp on an android phone.

If you are with ATT now, you can port your number over to VM either upon activation, or activate and port number at a later date.

tonysavealot said:   Can you unlock it without first topping it off with $80?

I'm not sure there is an actual "unlocking" for a CDMA phone, I know that some phones are 'flashed' to another carrier, but I'm not sure it would be worth it for an entry-level phone.

In for one. Plan to use it as a house phone with GrooveIP. Hopefully with CashBack!

Unfortunately, this phone isn't the panacea I had hoped it would be.

It cannot handle Google Play Music well at all. I mean, if all my other devices are dead (and to be honest, that's more theoretical than actually ever happening), yes, I would use it.

GrooveIP is also painful to use. The quality of calls is unacceptable.

In the end, this is only useful as a media remote, or a Wi-Fi backup keyboard for your HTPC.

The HTC One V for $50 (from BF) is a far better deal, and I would hold out for that or buy one on fleabay.

Yo Ma-Ma said:   tonysavealot said:   Can you unlock it without first topping it off with $80?

I'm not sure there is an actual "unlocking" for a CDMA phone, I know that some phones are 'flashed' to another carrier, but I'm not sure it would be worth it for an entry-level phone.

Phone is rootable and a recovery image is available. See Target Clearance: Virgin Mobile Venture PrePaid Android $23.98

Also, this is one of the few available phones grandfathered into an older plan. Per one of the Venture FAQs on VM's site:

What are the new device upgrade rules?
Starting May 27, 2012, if you are using the $25, $40, or $60 Beyond Talk Plans and you upgrade to a Beyond Talk Smartphone launched after May 1, 2012 (including the HTC EVO™ V 4G), you will need to switch to the current $35, $45, or $55 Beyond Talk Monthly Plan. When you switch plans, you will need to pay for your new plan and you will lose any minutes, messages, and money in your balance. This will also change your monthly payment date. So if you are considering upgrading to a new smartphone, we recommend that you wait until right before your next monthly payment date to activate.*The following smartphones launched before May 1, 2012 and are therefore not subject to the new device upgrade rules at this time: VentureTM, LG ® OptimusTM Slider, HTC ® Wildfire STM, Motorola TriumphTM, LG ® Optimus VTM, Blackberry ® CurveTM 8530.

Yo Ma-Ma said:   tonysavealot said:   Can you unlock it without first topping it off with $80?

Right. You can only use it with Virgin Mobile no matter what you do. Nobody has reported any attempt or success at flashing it, although there is at least one other model that looks very similar whose firmware, if you could get it, might work...I don't know what carrier that one is on.

asuka said:   Unfortunately, this phone isn't the panacea I had hoped it would be.

It cannot handle Google Play Music well at all. I mean, if all my other devices are dead (and to be honest, that's more theoretical than actually ever happening), yes, I would use it.

GrooveIP is also painful to use. The quality of calls is unacceptable.

In the end, this is only useful as a media remote, or a Wi-Fi backup keyboard for your HTPC.

The HTC One V for $50 (from BF) is a far better deal, and I would hold out for that or buy one on fleabay.

Agreed about GrooveIP (and Talkatone is equally bad), but it has other uses. For one thing, if you're on a shoestring budget and currently using a dumbphone, this gives you Android functionality...that's how I roll, now I have acceptable web browsing, email, apps, etc. Not luxury, but I can accomplish stuff I could never do with the dumbphone, and do stuff better that I could do with it. I ended up buying a spare one (yeah, I know I could have waited and bought a more expensive one, but when that one gets broken in my pocket I'd be back to dumbphones) and I use that one, unactivated, as a replacement for my dead Slacker G2, playing Slacker app in my car; also I sometimes use it for various minor other things - GPS speedometer/acceleration meter/etc, WiFi analyzer tool (I'm in IT), occasional game of Solitaire, etc.

Also, I disagree about using it as a keyboard. Text entry on it stinks...the hardware keyboard is too tiny, yet takes up too much space so the screen can't be large enough for a decent on-screen keyboard.

What do you mean by "It cannot handle Google Play Music well at all."? I haven't tried it, I've just been using Slacker/Pandora/my own mp3s.

From a review of the Virgin Venture 'phone at Phonescoop dated: Mar 19, 2012, 2:24 PM

Music:
The older stock Android music application is preloaded as a music option. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, unfortunately. You can also make use of the new Google Music service if you care to download it yourself. Either way, music playback sounds good whether it’s from local storage or streamed across the ‘net. Notably absent is any way to actually purchase and download music tracks. In order to do that, you'll have to download and install the Amaz0n MP3 Player application or the newest version of Google Play. Pandora is also on board.

In for one.. Wife just had her existing Optimus V die... This will be the temporary replacement. $20 + $11 overnight shipping... Beats a trip to the store (if you're in a rural area like us).

dcg9381 said:   This will be the temporary replacement. $20 + $11 overnight shipping... Beats a trip to the store (if you're in a rural area like us).mine shipped in 2 days.

root link (poot)

update: groove ip works like a charm, as far as dialing and ringing... haven't checked the voice quality.
I might get the Optimus to play with as well.

I'd like to thank the Walking Dead for the ROOT LINK.

OOS

Any point of rooting this thing? Anyone tether it after rooting?

Rooting is definitely useful on this. The first thing that comes to mind: Once rooted you can delete bloatware or flash a smaller ROM...storage space is one of this phone's biggest weaknesses. People report improved battery life (another of its major weaknesses) after flashing a smaller ROM, too.

Plus, rooted, yes you can tether. I have used Barnacle a few times to get internet to my netbook, it got me out of a few jams.

OOS

is this quad band? can it be unlocked?

frank10b said:   is this quad band? can it be unlocked?
Scroll up a few posts to read a post on that issue by user named Yo Ma-Ma and my reply with additional info.

People asked about Google Play Music.

Basically, the UI is horribly slow. Grinds to a halt. Audio playback is poor even with iPhone headphones.

Like I said, you would only use it if all your devices were dead. It works... but only barely and frustrating the whole time.

thc said:   frank10b said:   is this quad band? can it be unlocked?

ok thanks i see its CDMA so no sim card so question is moot.
thanks again

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.