Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

appletv
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm not very familiar with appleTV, is this comparable to Roku? and would Roku still be a better option?

I own both and use both regularly. Both stream Netflix and Hulu+. AppleTV does not currently support Amazon Instant.

If you've got an iPad/iPod/iPhone/Mac, then the AirPlay feature is pretty much a no brainer. Everything, except certain video streaming apps, can be streamed live to your TV. If you've got an extensive iTunes library, then this is also a better option. Currently there is no jailbreak for ATV3 that I'm aware of, so the AppleTV is limited to what content Apple lists as compatible.

If you want to save some coin and you don't mind doing some tweaking, Roku is a great option. If you want to watch content stored on your home server, the Roku Plex channel is a great option and it's free.

lesliejs said:   I'm not very familiar with appleTV, is this comparable to Roku? and would Roku still be a better option?
It is similar in form/function to Roku. But, there are some differences. For example, ATV3 comes with youtube app/channel. Roku does not have that directly (there are other ways to get it, but that's OT). If you have Apple products (iPhone, iTouch, macbook etc.) in your household, you can benefit from AirPlay (and mirroring) that ATV3 supports.

I have Apple TV 2 is there a big difference between that and Apple TV 3?

Not a big difference but 3 does 1080p output. My 2 plays 1080p fine but only displays 720p output. IOW not a must-have upgrade.

lemonhead said:   I have Apple TV 2 is there a big difference between that and Apple TV 3?

Not a big difference but your apple tv 2 is worth a lot more on eBay then the 3 because you can jailbreak the 2.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014