Added an audio input jack which can be used with an external microphone

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Foscam Network Camera
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This is just my 2-Cents worth - and probably worth less to those more experienced. I have 5 Foscams - 2 outside (F18905... (more)

FloridaSandman (Dec. 05, 2012 @ 10:55p) |

"What is the chance this thing (or one like it) can capture a license plate from 11 stories above the street?"

your odds ... (more)

kudura (Dec. 06, 2012 @ 11:48p) |

Funny.... I figured as much before even trying but I've got them looking out a couple of windows right now and the IR su... (more)

Descent101 (Dec. 11, 2012 @ 1:44a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A good buy.

(For those of us that already bought this model however - slightly anoying these keep getting cheaper and cheaper.)

Have one and love it. in for another.

Any suggestions on free/cheap software for this that will record on motion detection?

Descent101 said:   Any suggestions on free/cheap software for this that will record on motion detection?
https://sensr.net/plans will host your images for a month for $10. I think they'll only handle 1 image every 6 seconds, and NOT care about motion detection, so you might miss someone walking by in between those 6 seconds.

A free option that I use for motion detection is to email the pictures to my picasa. picasa will only store 1,000 images per album, but depending on how much activity you expect, this may be fine for you. i just go in once a week or so and clean out the album.

EDIT: if you want alerts on your phone, you can email the motion images from the camera to a boxcar email address

Descent101 said:   Any suggestions on free/cheap software for this that will record on motion detection?

I am also looking for free/cheap software for this that will record on motion detection on my PC or others. Not sure any way I can setup like ADT or other home security services, so that I can save my bills each month, specially just got laidoff a month ago .... 8^(

Or I can view each camera view on my andriod Tablet which it will sit next to me when I am sleeping.

Many Thanks!

Consider a look at iSpy and for the Email options, gmail will do just dandy to detect and upload on motion.

Mercx said:   A good buy.

(For those of us that already bought this model however - slightly anoying these keep getting cheaper and cheaper.)

They are coming down in price because new, higher resolution cameras are getting less expensive.

SteveG

Thanks, Butcherboy. It is right on my wish list.

Last time I got a black one at $69.99. This time I bought a white one.

Last time, I ordered a white one but cancelled. Amazon did not allow me order white one again. So I ended up buying a black one which I do love too. SO be careful.

I am eyeing on an outdoor Foscam - FI8905W.

I've got both the white and black ones. Black is nicer. With the white, it actually sort of glows "through" the plastic from the inside (not as pretty at night). Black blocks most of the light. White one is going in the garage to monitor my remote control garage door opener (I can open from my cell phone...but that's another story).

Tempting.....very tempting to get another one. They're nice little cameras.

I'm torn between buying this because it's a little too big for my small apartment. I found the Foscam FI8907W link, which has same specs link
but is smaller, does not have pan/tilt and only one led for night vision. The one review for Amazon complained about image quality though. Any suggestions?

anyone find an enclosure to put this outside?

With the default software, I am able to get 6 shot (1/sec) bursts in an email. The only downside seems to be that it will only send up to 1 email per minute.

GTPaPi said:   anyone find an enclosure to put this outside?

I couldn't find a decent enclosure so I ended buying one of the outdoor models as well. No pan & tilt but picture/software interface etc is all the same. Might be worth a look.

awesome i just got one last week and installed it, works great. Needed more and I came across this post. Thanks OP.

These are great for anyone with a Vera (Vera3/Vera2/Vera Light/MiCasaVerde) home automation system. Just bought two more. Thanks OP.

What is the chance this thing (or one like it) can capture a license plate from 11 stories above the street?

Can anyone recommend an external infrared source that works with this model? The built in one just reflects off the window. I need something I can plug in outside to illuminate the area my camera is pointing.
Thanks.

Have several from The Home Depot $65 deal a while back. Works well, but sometimes seem to reboot. Doesn't do well when there are large differences in how various areas a lit. Night vision is ok, but obviously the night vision lighting on the camera is visible in the dark. No-ip.org account worked for a while from external ips - now it doesn't seem to for some reason anymore, even though ports are properly forwarded...

Would appreciate if people would share tips on the use of the camera and setup...

I think you would be much better with a setup involving a "real" video camera with zoom and a computer video capture card...

davidmyles said:   What is the chance this thing (or one like it) can capture a license plate from 11 stories above the street?

LAwoodtiger said:   Descent101 said:   Any suggestions on free/cheap software for this that will record on motion detection?

With the default software, I am able to get 6 shot (1/sec) bursts in an email. The only downside seems to be that it will only send up to 1 email per minute.

For anyone looking to record, here is one free solution. Good for one camera, but need to buy license for more cameras.

http://www.vitamindinc.com/

Here is a how to video....looks pretty simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODeFiOYTZho

davidmyles said:   What is the chance this thing (or one like it) can capture a license plate from 11 stories above the street?

I love Foscams and have four of them but they're not going to capture a license plate from more than 20 feet away I'd guess.

for free software I use Yawcam.
http://www.yawcam.com/

There are many other good choices:
http://alternativeto.net/software/yawcam/

Nice deal. This is a better price than the $69 Groupon I bought last week.

The Amazon gold box is only on black.

Sweet, $58 with the $5 coupon!

what $5 coupon?

SteelRing said:   what $5 coupon?

Amazon offer w Facebook info share

probably been said many times for other deals but tax in CA really puts a damper on things... coupon got cancelled out w/ $5+ in tax.

but great deal and green for OP

GTPaPi said:   anyone find an enclosure to put this outside?
You can try this outdoor enclosure from exotic Norway (link) or other sellers.

Gone...too late....definitely canceling the Groupon order though....it is not a deal if it is available for cheaper on a retailer website...

Any idea on actual range (wifi)? I think there is a larger antenna...
5v or 12v?

Interested in it as an outdoor cam also, but the referenced enclosure is pretty monster... And all of the prior auctions are marked "private" - so I cant tell what the enclosures sell for from that seller.

The price is nice and I wanna buy one.

AkoPatel said:   GTPaPi said:   anyone find an enclosure to put this outside?
You can try this outdoor enclosure from exotic Norway (link) or other sellers.

Seems to me that the IR may bounce off the plastic done and might render the night vision useless..

poordealguy said:   Gone...too late....definitely canceling the Groupon order though....it is not a deal if it is available for cheaper on a retailer website...

Also wished I didn't miss out on this deal and really questioning the Groupon order. Starting to think the price on this is going to come down quickly. Were you able to cancel your Groupon order? Someone on slickdeals mention being unable to cancel and was told they would have to receive it and then return it.

The white ones were sold out early. That's why you only saw the black ones.

tpatch said:   Nice deal. This is a better price than the $69 Groupon I bought last week.

The Amazon gold box is only on black.

This is just my 2-Cents worth - and probably worth less to those more experienced. I have 5 Foscams - 2 outside (F18905W & F18904) and 3 inside (F18918, 2-F18910W). Foscam is very specific about warranty support - you Must buy from an approved Foscam seller; no phone support unless bought directly from Forcam; 2 yr. warranty from Foscam, 1 yr. from anyone else; and other picky stuff. I really like my cameras. The F18905W outside covers my backdoor, carport area, and front driveway, mounted on a detached garage 50' from back door - shows a really good picture and vision at night extends over 100' due to a corner street light. F18904 covers garage entry door, pool area, partial back yard, and clear picture 70' away.

I have had only 1 major problem with a F18910W. The IR filter would randomly click continuously, and so loud it would wake me up. Got a replacement and did the same thing. Just got my 2nd replacement and does same thing. Great support, fast turn around, and 3-day delivery. I am cautious about adding anymore F18910W's.

About an exterior enclosure. . . . There are links above pointing to one. Please Note - in red it says to 'disable infra-red'. If you do not it will reflect the IR back into the camera, just like aiming at a window _ IMHO. This renders the housing useless at night unless you have sufficent outside lighting or extended IR lighting outside the housing covering the area you want to see. . . . IMHO. Open to correction.

Software. . . . I use BlueIris, available through Foscam, w/ a cam for $39.95 (1 install). Accepts motion video - records to almost any source - SMS to phone, email alerts, more - FTP upload - live cam viewing from remote computer, tablet, smart phone - website streaming - and a lot more 'stuff' I will never use. No, it ain't free, sorry.
I use IPCamViewer on my Kindle Fire to view my cameras. Works for me. I'm sure others will provide other choices to try.

FYI - Foscam doing holiday 20% discount on F18910W - code "Holiday" - if you buy from them.

Edit: Added IPCamViewer line and % discount for Foscam.

"What is the chance this thing (or one like it) can capture a license plate from 11 stories above the street?"

your odds are absolutely none - this is not a high-def unit and anything that can do what you are asking will be in the $275-1100 range and require a 30x optical zoom

FloridaSandman said:   

About an exterior enclosure. . . . There are links above pointing to one. Please Note - in red it says to 'disable infra-red'. If you do not it will reflect the IR back into the camera, just like aiming at a window _ IMHO. This renders the housing useless at night unless you have sufficent outside lighting or extended IR lighting outside the housing covering the area you want to see. . . . IMHO. Open to correction.

Funny.... I figured as much before even trying but I've got them looking out a couple of windows right now and the IR sure does flash back and blind the camera. It'd be the same in an external enclose too. I figured this just from common sense but thought I'd give it a try anyway. I'm finding them decent for the price but I'd like to see how a DVR camera set does. I might be installing one soon and it's got outdoor rated cameras .

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014