• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This was bound to happen in the latest T4i bundle deals...

2 STM lenses included!

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T4i 18MP SLR Camera w/ 18-135mm STM Lens + 40mm Pancake STM Lens $899 +Free Ship

Adorama Deal
Add bundle to cart to see 899 price.

B&H Deal
Again, add bundle to cart to see 899 price.

Plus you can add the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens for $100.

Is Amazon next?

Adorama
See Adorama promo codes that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Canon EOS
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The pancake is $149 currently at Amazon, which brings it to $750 for the body and 18-135mm. The 18-135mm STM by itself is very expensive, but apparently it's the lens that makes video-recording on the 650d. It's not as cheap as the sub-$700 deal posted recently, but I think bundling the STM lenses provides good value, and you won't miss the kit lens (and can still add in the 55-250mm for only $100, which is a great deal).

Note that the 18-135mm is an EF-S lens, so it's incompatible with Canon's line of F/F bodies.

Hoogineer said:   The 18-135mm STM by itself is very expensive, but apparently it's the lens that makes video-recording on the 650d.

The 18-135 STM sells for about $250 on eBay.

This is not a great kit that you can resell the parts and make a lot of money on. The T4i bodies are a bit slow to sell, and they sell for around $550. So $550 + $235 + $135 = $920. $920-$899= $21 net.

BUT if you are looking for a T4i to buy and own, THIS IS A GREAT KIT. The 18-135 STM is a very good lens, much improved over the previous 18-135 IS. The still image auto focus with the T4i and the 18-135 is EXCELLENT. I was amazed how quickly and cleanly it snapped into focus for stills. (The Canon T4i has 9 higher quality, cross-type auto focus points, and one high-precision auto focus point, the same as the 60D. The T3i, by comparison, had only 1 cross type point. This camera is a very nice upgrade from the T3i.)

The 18-135 is also very useful for auto focus during video. That auto focus is not fantastic - it can be a bit slow at times. But it helped me to use the T4i in place of a camcorder, extending the video capabilities "downward" from high end cinema-style filmmaking to everyday use in lower light, up to ISO 3200. And the face tracking auto focus is very useful in good light.

The 40 mm STM is an awesome, high quality lens at a bargain price.

This is fantastic equipment at a very low price. This is the first Rebel series camera - the first entry level camera - that I am happy to use as a 20+ year pro. This is also the first non-L Canon lens that I keep in my kit and use.

For anyone moving up to DSLR's from a point & shoot, or even upgrading from an older DSLR, this is an excellent, excellent choice! And the net "cost of ownership" cost t0 buy the kit, less the cost top sell it in 2-3 years (if you upgrade again) is very reasonable.

I still see Canon T3i kits with the 18-55 selling used in the $450 range. If you were able to sell this kit for $575 (with the much better quality lens) and the 490mm for $100 in 2-3 years, your net cost would be $225, or about $100 per year. That is equivalent to shooting about 8 rolls of film per year, or less!

Happy days for photographers, as these entry level cameras show a lot of quality at not a large price.

Good luck!
Michael

Great deal if you're looking for the body only? $899 - 235 - 135 = $529 after selling the lenses...

unadog said:   Hoogineer said:   

This is not a great kit that you can resell the parts and make a lot of money on. The T4i bodies are a bit slow to sell, and they sell for around $550. So $550 + $235 + $135 = $920. $920-$899= $21 net.

BUT if you are looking for a T4i to buy and own, THIS IS A GREAT KIT.
Michael

I think this bundle is a great value because they are they new STM lenses, have a greater focus and I think much more usable than the other package with the std lens and the 55-250. I simply do not find much use for the 55-250 however the 18-135 is just the sweet spot of usability for me. I wish they would run some deals on their mid to upper level speed lights. Looking forward to using the 40mm on situations where I am going to be up close and can leave some bulk in the bag. In for one already shipped.

icecube said:   Great deal if you're looking for the body only? $899 - 235 - 135 = $529 after selling the lenses...

unadog said:   Hoogineer said:   

BUT if you are looking for a T4i to buy and own, THIS IS A GREAT KIT.
Michael

This would be kind of a pointless move as the main reason to purchase the T4i is to have the STM lenses (which this bundle comes with). The STM lenses work with the T4i to give you quiet auto-focusing during video shooting. The STM lenses are as good or better than most of the "prosumer" lenses out there without stepping up to an L. The lenses are made specifically to be paired up with the T4i. And there is not much point in putting money into L lenses and pairing them with a T4i.

unadog said:   The 18-135 STM sells for about $250 on eBay.

I think you are looking at the wrong lens on eBay. There are 2 Canon 18-135mm lenses, an STM and a non-STM. The non-STM sells for ~200+. The STM is in the $350-400 range. There is currently an auction on an STM lens with 13 hours to go at $305.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014