Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Samsung 250GB 840 Series (56.95kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

I've ordered it yesterday and already shipped, but want to make sure I did receive the game coupon before posting it.
I think the Assassin's Creed 3 is supposed only for 840 Pro (840 has Fry Cry 3 from TD) so fingercrossing.

The shipment notice does show it:
SAMZ7TD250BW 1 250GB 840 Series 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAAC3DL840P 1 Free Assassin's Creed 3 Game Coupon (PC Download)

FYI: there was an arstechnica article explaining that the 840 is not an improvement of the 830 (as in performance). They still recommend 830 - but is more expensive at $15 more even without the free game you get with this deal.

Tiger Direct has the same drive + game for $150 after $40 MIR

Thanks OP. Being in CA I'd rather go with this deal than the TD one.

Thanks!

jottect said:   Tiger Direct has the same drive + game for $150 after $40 MIR

That link is for Far Cry and is OOS.

Waiting for the 840 Pro to get to these prices.

This is a great drive but for people who want to buy this knowing that the 830 was a great drive, you should also know:

* The 840 is not necessarily an upgrade from the 830.

* The 840 PRO is an upgrade all-around from the 830.

* The 840 has about double the random-write performance but about half the sequential write performance of the 830. So depending on your use-case it could be better or worse - or you may not even notice, since these are all very fast drives.

* The 840 Pro is the actual successor to the 830. They both use MLC NAND.

This $164 840 (base) is NOT MLC nand. It is TLC NAND, which is what's typically used on USB flashdrives, smart phones, etc, and has a lower write endurance.

But yeah, otherwise, good drive for the price

Received the drive and also the Assassin Creed 3 game coupon.

I've been debating to get the 830 or 840, in fact the 830 was for $140 at onSale for a short time which I decided to skip. After reading many reviews, everyone said 840 is better in performance than 830, the faster random write will make up the difference in slower sequential write (and as explained by Anandetech, random write is more important in most situation) and 840 is faster in all other aspects and lower consumption to use in laptop. The lower edurance is not an issue after calculation which will give you many years of life still. The use of TLC from Samsung is a demontration that TLC can be use to achieve about the same performance and it's expected other manufactuers might follow.

mcdull said:   Received the drive and also the Assassin Creed 3 game coupon.

Thanks for the update.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014