Best Buy iPhone 5 only for 149.99

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
jkamra2 said:   I want to get an iphone 5 off contract. It looks better to sign up for this deal (total in cart after tax is $211.26) and cancel and pay the EFT (EFT of $325 plus half a month of the $60 monthly service for $30) for a total of about $566.26. Buying straight from the Apple Store off contract, the total after tax is $704.17.

Am I missing something here, or is that the better way to get the iphone 5 off contract? This does not include the 5000 Reward Zone points or the 1.5% Fat Wallet Cash Back, which either or both would make this even better.

Help me Obi-Wan.....

If you cancel BEFORE the 14 day return policy, Verizon requires you to return the phone or pay the full price of the phone without activation = $699+tax. If you cancel AFTER 14 days the ETF is $350 for smart phones and you'll be billed for the ENTIRE month (they won't prorate), plus monthly taxes, plus the activation fee of $35.

Link for Verizon Return/Cancellation Policy

The cheapest monthly voice/text/300mb of data = $80 + taxes, So I think your cost will look more like this:

$159.36 (phone+tax) + $89.50 (1 month of service+est.monthly taxes) + $35 (activation fee) + $350 (ETF)= $633.86

Of course, my math doesn't include the Reward zone points/$100 deal mentioned above.

FTLOSM said:   wife is still using a 3gs wants to get the iphone 5 never dealt with anyone but the att store would my plan stay the same and prices be the same or does best buy pull some crap and your monthly rates go up or some extra fees? Is there an activation fee thru best buy? I saw online we are eligible for upgrade at 199 with no service fees in final checkout at att store, I use a 3gs too might even look into it for me too, but I guess I was just worried BB might be adding other stuff into the deal and I would be stuck for 2 yrs paying more than I already do now. Have to calll att see if they will price match, I would do it in store if they will.

When you go through the order process online or in-store, you can choose to keep your existing calling plan and your existing data plan, so your bill wouldn't change. Only potential issue with upgrading phone, and it's true whether you go through Best Buy or AT&T is if you have a special promo on your line. I used to get 100 free text messages a month, but AT&T took it away when I upgraded the phone and the upgrade was at an AT&T store.

You will most likely be charged the $36 activation/upgrade fee on your first AT&T bill. You can call AT&T after you get your bill and ask if they will waive it, which a lot of folks have had good luck doing. Not much of a savings over the $199 price if you're stuck with the extra fee. However, if you're buying thru Best Buy Mobile, you'll get the 5,000 points which can be redeemed for $100 in Rewardzone certificates.

Here's another tidbit. This sale is ONLY today and tomorrow (10th/11th) If you bought it in the last 30 days you must take it back today or tomorrow to get that $50. If you got the $25 gift card you still get to keep it. Just called and chatted online, both said gift card stays yours.

rsuaver said:   
the 5K points is 'best buy mobile solution points' - anyone know what this is about? Also, that deal seems to be only thru best buy mobile - they did lower the price to $150.

The mobile solution points can be redeemed for Rewardzone certificates. Per the Best Buy Mobile link,
"Purchase any mobile phone with a 24-month plan and get 5000 total bonus points – that's $100 in Reward Zone® certificates."

Yes, the rewards deal is only thru Best Buy Mobile, it is not good in their regular stores.

I just successfully price match (well sort of) I only got the $25 difference from last Saturday purchase since I got the $25 gift card already even though they are different promotion. Ohh well!

megachacker said:   I also bought the iphone5 Saturday with the $25 gift card they were offering. I called the store and they will price match down to the $149.99. They could however take away the $25 gift card (I used it to pay for the phone and Zaag cover). So, it could turn into a $25 savings if they take it back. Still probably worth it though. Problem is I'm 60 miles away from a Best Buy. It costs $25 in gas there and back with gas at $3.10 so overall it might not be worth my time if they take back the $25 gift card.

I am getting error on credit check page.. complaining about ssn and drivers licence? does any one know best buy credit check validation process?

zman93 said:   I just successfully price match (well sort of) I only got the $25 difference from last Saturday purchase since I got the $25 gift card already even though they are different promotion. Ohh well!

megachacker said:   I also bought the iphone5 Saturday with the $25 gift card they were offering. I called the store and they will price match down to the $149.99. They could however take away the $25 gift card (I used it to pay for the phone and Zaag cover). So, it could turn into a $25 savings if they take it back. Still probably worth it though. Problem is I'm 60 miles away from a Best Buy. It costs $25 in gas there and back with gas at $3.10 so overall it might not be worth my time if they take back the $25 gift card.

I JUST talked to best buy and they said I could keep the gift card b/c I had already used it.

sillar68 said:   jkamra2 said:   I want to get an iphone 5 off contract. It looks better to sign up for this deal (total in cart after tax is $211.26) and cancel and pay the EFT (EFT of $325 plus half a month of the $60 monthly service for $30) for a total of about $566.26. Buying straight from the Apple Store off contract, the total after tax is $704.17.

Am I missing something here, or is that the better way to get the iphone 5 off contract? This does not include the 5000 Reward Zone points or the 1.5% Fat Wallet Cash Back, which either or both would make this even better.

Help me Obi-Wan.....

If you cancel BEFORE the 14 day return policy, Verizon requires you to return the phone or pay the full price of the phone without activation = $699+tax. If you cancel AFTER 14 days the ETF is $350 for smart phones and you'll be billed for the ENTIRE month (they won't prorate), plus monthly taxes, plus the activation fee of $35.

Link for Verizon Return/Cancellation Policy

The cheapest monthly voice/text/300mb of data = $80 + taxes, So I think your cost will look more like this:

$159.36 (phone+tax) + $89.50 (1 month of service+est.monthly taxes) + $35 (activation fee) + $350 (ETF)= $633.86

Of course, my math doesn't include the Reward zone points/$100 deal mentioned above.

You link to the policy, yet it doesn't say what you imply it says. I do not see where it says you would be have to pay the full price of the phone if you cancel before 14 days. You also say they don't prorate, yet here is the actual quote from their return page:

"Return and Service Termination

You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device. You will remain responsible for your Activation Fee unless you terminate service within three days of activation. You will also be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges that accrued to your account through the termination date. If you paid a security deposit, it may take between 30 and 60 days to process the return of your security deposit. The charges for any service used on the account before the service termination date may be applied against your security deposit.

If you cancel your service after the 14–day period, but prior to the expiration of your minimum term, you will be responsible for all of the above–mentioned charges, including an Early Termination Fee.

If you return your merchandise, even by mistake, after the return period, you will not receive a refund and the merchandise you returned will not be returned to you."

I added the bold for emphasis. It says you must return the phone to avoid paying the 350 ETF. If you don't return it, you pay the $350. You get the activation fee back and they will prorate you for the month. If I buy it and cancel in the same day it should be 1/30 the cost of the monthly plan I assume?? From this, it seems to be cheaper for me to buy a 64gb iphone 5 from Verizon for $399 and cancel versus paying $850 for it off contract through Apple.

$399 ($350 from BB in this promo) + $350 ETF + $(1/30) monthly charge (should be 20 bucks at most)= $769 ($720 with BB promotion)+ taxes. It is $850 plus tax from Verizon or Apple without subsidy/2 year contract.

Am I missing something? Seems like I should do this.

Suggestions?

Edit: The reason I want this off contract is to keep my unlimited data on my grandfathered Verizon plan through my parents' family plan. Any easier way to do this?

Does best buy have the $36 activation fee?

I have Sprint with SERO plan but want to upgrade to SERO premium for the iPhone. But, as far as I know, BestBuy can't handle SERO account upgrades. Any people with SERO experience know if Sprint would price-match this and which number or method to contact for the best chance of this?

Best Buy iPhone Ad
Disclaimer
megachacker said:   Here's another tidbit. This sale is ONLY today and tomorrow (10th/11th) If you bought it in the last 30 days you must take it back today or tomorrow to get that $50. If you got the $25 gift card you still get to keep it. Just called and chatted online, both said gift card stays yours.

There seem to be two deals. Regular Best Buy has the price deal $50 off through 1/5/2012. I think the Mobile site has the deal with the additional reward points, but not sure when that one expires.

empiretc said:   Does best buy have the $36 activation fee?

That's thru your carrier. You just pay for the price of the phone you buy at Best Buy...then any activation fee is on your next bill thru your provider.

do i have to go back to the store to get the difference back? (i bought it at the store).

New Apple iPhone 5 16GB Factory Unlocked sales $644 on eBay free shipping today. but sold out in an hour

The 2 year mandatory contract breaks the deal.

rojs01 said:   Just paid 199.00 at Att store. Can Att price match and refund $50.00?

I am in the same situation. I did a live chat with AT&T, and they gave me a credit of $50 on my account.

Thanks for posting...

I am not sure weather it would help someone, but one of my friend whose contract with AT&T had expired, was able to get $250 credit on bill with new iphone 5 purchase and 2 year contract extension. It simply means free iphone5 with extension of contract.

It seems like even though iPhone sell is strong not as strong as apple would like or competitors are really on iphones neck with good options available (a.k.a S3/Nexus/Note II).

I purchased one three weeks ago from ATT, called them this am and asked for a $50 credit and they issued withou hesitation!!! Thanks OP

Thx OP - been looking at it for a while now!!

Anyone know if I can return iPhone at Apple Store and buy it from best buy . Opened the pack but never used it.
Already spent 30 min each with apple and AT&T trying to get price match with no luck.

Need to put AT&T contract in the title

My Apple Store said they can't match best buy's price ;(

it's $2400 IF you keep the phone, the 2 year contract is on the phone number, not the require data on the equipment.

aautorepair said:   silly deal,its the 2yr contract at 2400 dollars that kills it

When I called I said to avoid me from returning and rebuying the iPhone I purchased 3 weeks ago I would like you to give me a $50 credit matching the current Bestbuy promotion. He said that would not be a problem and it took about 5 minutes to process.

i did the same through 1888bestbuy, hope it goes through.

seems like a good deal

I would not even bother with a 120 mile round trip. Not worth it.

problem when adding Iphone 5 to att mobile share account. Bestbuymobile has a glitch in there system charging you $150 per month for the iPhone 5 instead of , in my case, $30 per month. I called customer service at BBM and was told to go ahead and order it, but before activating the phone, have the best buy salesperson (if picking up at store) or call BBM and the customer support person contact att and make sure you will not be charged $150 data plan just for that single line , even though its on a mobile share plan.

this $150 per month glitch only seems to happen when ordering the Iphone 5 on att. the iPhone 4 and 4s come up as $30 per month.

Does anyone know if the IPHONE 5 retail value will go down beginning of next year?

Just stopped into Best Buy, clerk in phone department approached me, asked if I was there for iphone price match (!) and handled it promptly. $50 plus tax returned to my credit card. Originally bought my phone 11/30.

$60/month phone service spent on this phone is not cheap when you can get a pay-to-go phone. I would rather get a TRACfone and tablet and still save more in the end. BUT the price is great for someone who really need this kind of phone service.

Titleist735 said:   i did the same through 1888bestbuy, hope it goes through.

Weird, they wouldn't do it over the phone for me. Said I had to take my receipt back to the store for refund and I paid on credit card.

good find since i need a new phone anyways. thanks

Just pick up mine from a BestBuy Mobile Store, an upgrade to my iPhone4, Verizon plan:
149.99+ 46.65 tax. (+$30 activation fee in next month Verizon bill).

Tax and activation fee sucks, other than that good deal.

I stopped by ATT store to ask if it is possible to buy iphone 5 today but delay activation until X-Mas. The guy said no way unless I pay full price (w/o activation). He sais people ask about this all the time but they don't do it because of risk people running away with "cheap" iphones.

Did anybody succesfully manage to buy iphone 5 (iphone 5, not other smartphones) and delay activation until X-Mas?

I have Sprint with SERO plan but want to upgrade to SERO premium for the iPhone. But, as far as I know, BestBuy can't handle SERO account upgrades. Any people with SERO experience know if Sprint would price-match this and which number or method to contact for the best chance of this?

Collinong, did you ever get an answer yet as I'd like to know as well?

FTLOSM said:   wife is still using a 3gs wants to get the iphone 5 never dealt with anyone but the att store would my plan stay the same and prices be the same or does best buy pull some crap and your monthly rates go up or some extra fees? Is there an activation fee thru best buy? I saw online we are eligible for upgrade at 199 with no service fees in final checkout at att store, I use a 3gs too might even look into it for me too, but I guess I was just worried BB might be adding other stuff into the deal and I would be stuck for 2 yrs paying more than I already do now. Have to calll att see if they will price match, I would do it in store if they will.

There will be an activation fee. I get it waived through our business account, otherwise I think it is $39.

You can get it through best Buy, no problem. No different than the AT&T store.

I just upgraded one of our 4 lines today through the best Buy Mobil web site (for the 5,000 points/$100 mentioned above.) You provide your contract info, it will log into AT&Y and check eligibility. You can leave your data plan exactly as is.

Traded in my cracked iPhone 4 and got the phone down to about 160 total. Awesome price,i am glad i waited. When my brother got his phone at an AT&T store, the sales associate suggested we call as soon as we got the next bill and insist we were unaware of the $36 activation fee so they could waive it off. Not sure if it will work but its worth a try.

Offer is good till 01/05/2013, got am email from Best Buy showing sale dates.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014