• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
I have a 10.1" Motorola Xoom, which is great for email, surfing and whatever game playing I do, and a 7" Fire (original model) that is fantastic as an ereader but lacking as far as email and surfing. When the 8.9" Fire HD was announced, I was a potentially happy camper - I could use it to replace the larger and smaller tablets!

Sadly, that potential was not met. The 8.9" Fire HD was the same size as the Xoom - screen was smaller, but bezel area was much larger. I was also not thrilled with some of the bugs I had with the machine - it rebooted itself a few times on me, and did not automatically shift everything from the old Fire to the new (that was more of a personal problem, I found out - oops). So, I returned it (kudos to Amazon for their return policy).

I checked out the iPad mini and was flabbergasted by the size/weight comparison to the FireHD8.9...

I believe Amazon does have a winner with their newest tablet - it just was not for me.

what's the deal with $15 more for 'without special offers'? I heard the ads were annoying, is it true and is it worth $15 to not get them?

germanpope said:   How are all those HP tablets from last year doing now?

Still loving mine, even though I miss not having GPS.

Great for surfing, viewing pics and listening to music.

Slider said:   jbigboote said:   germanpope said:   How are all those HP tablets from last year doing now?

Over a year later, mine is actually still working fine, but I am running the stock OS, not Cyanogenmod. Of course it is woefully under-supported, but if you don't care about having an app store or media store, it's worth it for the price I paid (32GB for $150). of course it has no cell radio (3G/4G/LTE reception is not possible), and the screen is low-resolution (1024x768) compared to contemporary offerings. but last I checked it could still play videos from Amazon's instant streaming in its web browser. The PDF viewer is not feature-rich, but it's functional. Skype video chat still works fine. so it still meets most of my needs, but I'd be lying if I said I don't want something better. But more than that, I don't want to spend hundreds more.

Definitely recommend going with Android 4.0 / Cyanogenmod 9. The OS is super polished now, no battery issues, full Google Play/Market compatibility, HBO GO, Hulu Plus, etc, etc.

Last week's CM9 update finally incorporated a working camera patch so Skype is fully functional now. A huge plus is Flash compatibility to watch live sports, etc.

GIVE me MORE!! WHere do I get this update???

phatkrazy said:   Slider said:   jbigboote said:   germanpope said:   How are all those HP tablets from last year doing now?

Over a year later, mine is actually still working fine, but I am running the stock OS, not Cyanogenmod. Of course it is woefully under-supported, but if you don't care about having an app store or media store, it's worth it for the price I paid (32GB for $150). of course it has no cell radio (3G/4G/LTE reception is not possible), and the screen is low-resolution (1024x768) compared to contemporary offerings. but last I checked it could still play videos from Amazon's instant streaming in its web browser. The PDF viewer is not feature-rich, but it's functional. Skype video chat still works fine. so it still meets most of my needs, but I'd be lying if I said I don't want something better. But more than that, I don't want to spend hundreds more.

Definitely recommend going with Android 4.0 / Cyanogenmod 9. The OS is super polished now, no battery issues, full Google Play/Market compatibility, HBO GO, Hulu Plus, etc, etc.

Last week's CM9 update finally incorporated a working camera patch so Skype is fully functional now. A huge plus is Flash compatibility to watch live sports, etc.

Could you provide the links when I could upgrade to fully functional CM9? PM if you like.
I have CM7 but would like to upgrade to CM9 with video and audio working.

Me too, me too!!

A friend just got his last Saturday. I told him about the deal and after a quick call to Amazon, they gave him $50 credit. I place an order for mine this morning. TYOP.

phatkrazy said:   Slider said:   jbigboote said:   germanpope said:   How are all those HP tablets from last year doing now?

Could you provide the links when I could upgrade to fully functional CM9? PM if you like.
I have CM7 but would like to upgrade to CM9 with video and audio working.

This guy is the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39d_d2wZRng

Is it worth it to get the charging plug for $9.99? Anybody know the amps it puts out?

Charger -
Official Amazon 9W, 1.8A adapter charges Kindle Fire HD 8.9" in under 5 hours, Kindle Fire HD 7" in under 4 hours, and Kindle Fire in under 3 hours
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-PowerFast-Accelerated-Charging-incl...

tempted thanks op

I got mine, used my Amazon rewards points to get the final price down to $158.92 with charger. Only problem is when I went to order it around 3 pm est it said delivery would be on Wednesday December 12th. After I placed the order it said delivery is Friday December 14th. I'm a Amazon prime member so I'm suppose to get 2 business day delivery. I called CSR and they could only get the delivery changed to Thursday December 13th and that was with changing to 1 day delivery at no charge. They don't know what happen, said maybe it is an inventory problem due to today's sale. The charger will be delivered in 2 days though, on Wednesday.

dave4ster said:   I got mine, used my Amazon rewards points to get the final price down to $158.92 with charger. Only problem is when I went to order it around 3 pm est it said delivery would be on Wednesday December 12th. After I placed the order it said delivery is Friday December 14th. I'm a Amazon prime member so I'm suppose to get 2 business day delivery. I called CSR and they could only get the delivery changed to Thursday December 13th and that was with changing to 1 day delivery at no charge. They don't know what happen, said maybe it is an inventory problem due to today's sale. The charger will be delivered in 2 days though, on Wednesday.

Typical inventory delay for high-demand items. Expect it to ship earlier once the dust settles...especially w 1 day shipping upgrade.

I was able to apply the $50 reward for applying for an Amazon Visa and this promo.

ElephantNest said:   My Dad is just about to purchase a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" 16GB Wi-Fi for $349, can anyone tell me how this compares besides being slightly smaller screen size? Also I see this one has a camera in front only.

Thanks

One big difference is probably "additional storage".

In for 1...

Thanks got my $50.00 credit for the one I order last Friday and I another $50.00 for another one I just purchased.

In for one. Thanks a lot.

wwdme said:   If I'd be shelling out $249, I'd go w/the Nexus7 32gb for the same price.

Im with this guy or gal

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014