8GB internal memory
MMC card slot (8GB card included)
Google Android OS 2.3
Access to Google Play and Samsung Apps
Dual cameras for video chatting
Bluetooth enabled to use as headset
Social hub for linking contacts and calendar with social media
Includes preloaded FIFA 2012 and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Includes preloaded Angry Birds and more!

What You Get:
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2
8GB internal + 8GB Memory Card
Earphones
Data Cable
Charger
Battery
(3) Back Covers

Member Summary

Galaxy Player 4.2
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
not true and not true

lordoffire (Dec. 11, 2012 @ 5:40p) |

Someone here suggested the HTC Thunderbolt.

Slickone (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 2:25p) |

I went with a used Droid Incredible 2 as a PMP for my 12 year old. Having FM radio is what decided it for me.

therugsucker (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 3:28p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've been looking for android based pmp's for a christmas gift. I've come to the conclusion that music players have been a total afterthought to the android market. These do not have Jelly Bean or ICS and who knows if or when samsung will release it for this device. I bought my son an HTC One V for 50 bucks, and added a 32 gb micro sd to make a PMP with ICS and beats audio with the capability to activate as a phone at a later date for 75 dollars. Just wanted to share my findings from doing research on these type of devices.

Counterfit said:   I've been looking for android based pmp's for a christmas gift. I've come to the conclusion that music players have been a total afterthought to the android market. These do not have Jelly Bean or ICS and who knows if or when samsung will release it for this device. I bought my son an HTC One V for 50 bucks, and added a 32 gb micro sd to make a PMP with ICS and beats audio with the capability to activate as a phone at a later date for 75 dollars. Just wanted to share my findings from doing research on these type of devices.

What kind of battery life are you getting on an unactivated phone used that way? I'm trying to use my old deactivated Motorola Atrix in a similar fashion and it burns through the battery in a matter of hours like it is constantly trying to activate or something. I've turned on airplane mode, disabled all network settings I can find, tried it with the old SIM in and out, but it just runs out so fast it would be useless as a PMP.

I have not used it yet as it's a gift, there is a battery app that is supposed to make it have very good life but the name escapes me right now. Not trying to poo on this deal, just sharing what I gathered from researching these players. Also was your battery useless before you started using it as a PMP?

the title is mis-leading its not 4.2 jelly bean its 2.3 ginger bread 4 ever - never upgradable- not compatible with most of the play market apps- and there is not update for the device u will be stuck with an old never updated ginger bread and as it has been said before u would be better with any other used phone better than this. and again 4,2 means inches nothing else

baizco said:   the title is mis-leading its not 4.2 jelly bean its 2.3 ginger bread 4 ever - never upgradable- not compatible with most of the play market apps- and there is not update for the device u will be stuck with an old never updated ginger bread and as it has been said before u would be better with any other used phone better than this. and again 4,2 means inches nothing else

Was very interested until I read this, I got the impression that this is Jelly bean too.
Thanks for saving me the agony.

these are very good, my son actually replaced his 2009 ipod with one of these for $169 I believe

My Old Samsung Captivate works as PMP as well - I think this one is basically the same 2.3 Android. Now to re-package my old phone to look like new and give as gift ---lol.

Edit to title, thanks to BAIZCO

I had to look up PMP...

It is used one but I think this might be better deal.

Samsung Galaxy SII

baizco said:   the title is mis-leading its not 4.2 jelly bean its 2.3 ginger bread 4 ever - never upgradable- not compatible with most of the play market apps- and there is not update for the device u will be stuck with an old never updated ginger bread and as it has been said before u would be better with any other used phone better than this. and again 4,2 means inches nothing else

There's a forum for these devices at XDA. They've combined all the models (3.6 all the way to 5.0), but technically, these are very similar to the Nexus S. You won't getn an official ICS/JB, but I've got no doubt that a custom ROM is possible. The only significant holdup will be the limited RAM (512MB). From my readings, JB really wants 1GB of RAM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1418

I'm tempted to get this as a replacement for my ancient 30GB iPod.

Do any dailysteals promo codes exist?

ccole said:   baizco said:   the title is mis-leading its not 4.2 jelly bean its 2.3 ginger bread 4 ever - never upgradable- not compatible with most of the play market apps- and there is not update for the device u will be stuck with an old never updated ginger bread and as it has been said before u would be better with any other used phone better than this. and again 4,2 means inches nothing else

There's a forum for these devices at XDA. They've combined all the models (3.6 all the way to 5.0), but technically, these are very similar to the Nexus S. You won't getn an official ICS/JB, but I've got no doubt that a custom ROM is possible. The only significant holdup will be the limited RAM (512MB). From my readings, JB really wants 1GB of RAM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1418

I'm tempted to get this as a replacement for my ancient 30GB iPod.

Here's a bit about ICS on the SGP.

The SGP 5.8 comes with ICS preinstalled (why not JB?) but it has 1GB RAM.

I think instead, I'm going to go with this: Virgin mobile - HTC ONE V
Unless I'm mistaken, this doesn't require a phone contract and can just be used as a small wifi tablet.

$99.96
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
3.7 inch capacitive display
5.0 Camera with LED Flash
External Memory up to 32 GB (Micro SD)
Video Camera
Beats Audio
GPS
weighs 4.06 ounces and measures 4.73 x 2.35 x 0.36 inches

And if you get good coverage in the Sprint areas, use as a pay as you go, or contract Virgin Mobile phone.
Cnet review: Link

Let me know if my research is wrong in any of this.

macmc said:   I think instead, I'm going to go with this: Virgin mobile - HTC ONE V
Unless I'm mistaken, this doesn't require a phone contract and can just be used as a small wifi tablet.

$99.96
Video Camera
Beats Audio
GPS

And if you get good coverage in the Sprint areas, use as a pay as you go, or contract Virgin Mobile phone.

fyi, it looks like that one has 500mb RAM

I have the older Samsung 4" ( also android 2.3) and my sister bought the smaller 3.6" at my recommendation. We both think they are great. I have yet to find an app that I want that is incompatible with these. They are very useful as media players, and PIMs, especially if you use google contacts and calendars. You can even use as a phone with the Grove IP app if you are within wifi range.

macmc said:   I think instead, I'm going to go with this: Virgin mobile - HTC ONE V

$99.96
Video Camera
Beats Audio
GPS

Exactly what I did but I got the one v about 2 weeks ago at 50 from virgin dip urging their cyber Monday sale

Exactly what I did but I got the one v about 2 weeks ago at 50 from virgin dip urging their cyber Monday sale

-Yeah, sorry I missed that, I saw it after the sale was over.

baizco said:   never upgradable- not compatible with most of the play market apps
not true and not true

Someone here suggested the HTC Thunderbolt.

I went with a used Droid Incredible 2 as a PMP for my 12 year old. Having FM radio is what decided it for me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014