• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5 inch 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)


Use code EMCYTZT2640 for discount, must be an Egg email suscriber. 1 per email/credit card combo.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188


Ends Midnight PST

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW (7.11kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
OOS
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Anyone know if this the lowest price we've seen? I thought Amazon had it for $69.99 few months ago?

That was the 830 after a rebate, the best this has been is $69.99 AFTER $40 rebate..


http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1241822/


docjoo said:   Anyone know if this the lowest price we've seen? I thought Amazon had it for $69.99 few months ago?

This is a absolutely amazing deal for the drive! Thanks OP

Yesterday I just drove 90 miles each way to use my MicroCenter GC to buy the 830 model; they wouldn't ship. Paid about $130. Anyone know if the 840 is that much better than the 830? Overall,I only burned $20 in gas and won $85 in poker (Hawaiian Gardens) during the trip.

The 840 is SLOWER than the 830.
The 840 PRO is FASTER than the 830.

Basically: 840 PRO >> 830 >>>>>>> 840

We deploy a lot of SSDs for servers and cloud hosting, and the 830 is a fantastic drive, and the 840 pro is even better. The 840, however, uses TLC NAND, and because of that is far far slower. We will be completely skipping the 840 for our customers and only going 830 and 840 PRO.

brentpresley said:   The 840 is SLOWER than the 830.
The 840 PRO is FASTER than the 830.

Basically: 840 PRO >> 830 >>>>>>> 840

We deploy a lot of SSDs for servers and cloud hosting, and the 830 is a fantastic drive, and the 840 pro is even better. The 840, however, uses TLC NAND, and because of that is far far slower. We will be completely skipping the 840 for our customers and only going 830 and 840 PRO.


Your summary is a bit disingenuous. The 840 is slower sustained read/write (e.g. when you boot/shutdown) but random read/write of 4k blocks it is superior (your typical work with a computer is much more like this.)

Let's be honest, most people aren't working with gigs of data at once.

chripuck said:   brentpresley said:   The 840 is SLOWER than the 830.
The 840 PRO is FASTER than the 830.

Basically: 840 PRO >> 830 >>>>>>> 840

We deploy a lot of SSDs for servers and cloud hosting, and the 830 is a fantastic drive, and the 840 pro is even better. The 840, however, uses TLC NAND, and because of that is far far slower. We will be completely skipping the 840 for our customers and only going 830 and 840 PRO.


Your summary is a bit disingenuous. The 840 is slower sustained read/write (e.g. when you boot/shutdown) but random read/write of 4k blocks it is superior (your typical work with a computer is much more like this.)

Let's be honest, most people aren't working with gigs of data at once.


Aren't most people actually boot/shutdown every time? I guess servers boot/shutdown much less.

awhosit said:   chripuck said:   brentpresley said:   The 840 is SLOWER than the 830.

Aren't most people actually boot/shutdown every time? I guess servers boot/shutdown much less.




Sheez. Hibernate FTW. Unless you lump that together with boot/shutdown.

The overall consensus from the hardware sites is that this 840 non-pro overall is *slower* than the 830. If you can find the 830 for the same or less, go with it. 840 Pro obviously would be better choice but is currently too expensive to some.

ihaslittledolla said:   awhosit said:   chripuck said:   brentpresley said:   The 840 is SLOWER than the 830.

Aren't most people actually boot/shutdown every time? I guess servers boot/shutdown much less.




Sheez. Hibernate FTW. Unless you lump that together with boot/shutdown.


My win 7 with SSD takes much longer to hibernate/wake up than shutdown/boot.

How much long does it take? seconds? minutes?

Eligible for Shoprunner 2 day shipping.

Thanks OP, in 4 1.

Good deal!

OOS

OOS

megorblah said:   OOS

Don't worry~ This offer will be back soon. Price seems to be dropping every few months. Who knows...we may see it for $69.99 without a rebate next time.


chripuck said:   brentpresley said:   The 840 is SLOWER than the 830.
The 840 PRO is FASTER than the 830.

Basically: 840 PRO >> 830 >>>>>>> 840

We deploy a lot of SSDs for servers and cloud hosting, and the 830 is a fantastic drive, and the 840 pro is even better. The 840, however, uses TLC NAND, and because of that is far far slower. We will be completely skipping the 840 for our customers and only going 830 and 840 PRO.


Your summary is a bit disingenuous. The 840 is slower sustained read/write (e.g. when you boot/shutdown) but random read/write of 4k blocks it is superior (your typical work with a computer is much more like this.)

Let's be honest, most people aren't working with gigs of data at once.



My understanding was that TLC was slower for random read/writes than MLC. Also because it has 3 bits per cell it degrades quicker than MLC, leading to shorter life spans.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014