• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Factory Reconditioned 5.1 System. Receiver, Speakers and 8'' Sub.

Click Here

- 50.00 for being onkyo Club member (free to register)
- 50.00 HHCO 25% off Code thru 12/16

149.00 plus tax FREE SHIPPING on orders over $100.00
-10.00 if you just created a new Onkyo account

Onkyo gives $10 credit on initial registering of account name
Register your onkyo products you have to build up more points (credit)

Mine came to $149.00 Shipped

I've purchased factory reconditioned about 5 years ago from Onkyo and system is still going strong. However it is a different model than this one.

Member Summary

Onkyo HT-3400
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
They changed another one for me, but runs very hot. Any suggestions?

qzhangosaurus (Jan. 13, 2013 @ 10:06p) |

Doldrums (Mar. 24, 2013 @ 11:11p) |

Thx again Doldrums, should be a nice upgrade from my older Onkyo (hdmi-less) ht-r230.

biosylum (Mar. 25, 2013 @ 12:32a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've bought "refurbished" before from them and it came in brand new. Great deal, thanks

Same here without fancy retail box. Everything was wrapped nicely no scratches. They did a good job.

The 3400, as I read it, does NOT have a powered Sub. FYI.

EDIT: Green for people who didn't get it new for 179 on cyber monday.

Does that mean that it won't work if the receiver quits?

Doesn't appear to have a remote-deal breaker for me

WindWalker said:   Doesn't appear to have a remote-deal breaker for me
"* Refurbished products do not include batteries, cables or labels"

FWIW, i bought an onkyo refurb a few years ago and it did come with a remote. don't see why it would not come in this case.

Sorry for miss information on the sub, it is not powered. It works how a regular speaker works by plugging into the receiver. If receiver goes the sub is just a speaker. For remote I have my dish remote setup to turn the onkyo on in TV room and but yes still nice to have a remote.

how is their return policy, also any idea if i connect my iphone or android thru network

FWIW I have read a lot of reviews stating that the receiver of this unit runs very hot and is problem prone. Just sayin...

Ataristyle said:   Sorry for miss information on the sub, it is not powered. It works how a regular speaker works by plugging into the receiver. If receiver goes the sub is just a speaker. For remote I have my dish remote setup to turn the onkyo on in TV room and but yes still nice to have a remote.
So did you buy one that did not come with a remote?

Thanks for leading me back to the Club Onkyo site. That discount worked for the refurb'd TXNR515. $220 shipped!

UPDATE:
ok, opted for the 616 instead for $260. Figured a little extra power and THX certification never hurt anyone!

I am the owner of the HT-S3400 (got it brand new for Christmas last year - it retails for about $250). Here are some random thoughts:

- The receiver itself is AWESOME. It carries a ton of inputs, including 4 HDMIs, and it even has "Zone A" and "Zone B." This is a full-fledged receiver, folks. It rivals that of other $300-$400 receivers.
- The receiver and speakers all use basic speaker wire. My brand new version came with 18 gauge wire. There are NO proprietary plugs. This means you can "upgrade" the speaker wire to a higher quality 16, 14 or 12 gauge wire.
- Yes, the receiver runs hot but no problems here so far. I would not recommend "stacking" other components on top of it and/or leaving it in a small stuffy space.
- The receiver also has an on-screen GUI which simplifies setup and tweaking. The GUI allows you to change things like Speaker Distance and Audio Delay to compensate for any audio lag. It also allows you to change the Subwoofer Crossover setting. Again, these are advanced features that are found in higher-end receivers...NOT in <$250 HTIB sets.
- The speakers themselves are good. VERY good if you aren't an audiophile. Each speaker has 3.25" woofers, if I remember correctly. No tweeters so the "highs" are a bit lacking (e.g. music), but again, you won't notice unless you are an audiophile.
- Because of the universal speaker wire, you can easily upgrade to better speakers when you have extra money down the line.
- The subwoofer is passive, meaning it does require power from the receiver. However, the subwoofer is MORE an adequate for the lows (e.g. booms and thumps).
- For those who were concerned with a missing remote, I use the Logitech Harmony to control my entire setup. The Onkyo remote gets the job done, but it may end up confusing your family members.

I'd even go as far as saying that at $300, you're getting an awesome receiver and the included speakers are a freebie bonus. At $150, even for a refurb, it is a STEAL. And frankly, if you are an audiophile, you're probably not looking at entry-level HTIB's to begin with. This is a great starter set that may expose you to the world of higher-end audio (read: you will get the upgrade bug).

FYI, there IS a newer HT-S3500 that got released earlier in 2012, but to my knowledge, not much has changed.

The HT-3400 is no longer shown in refurbished listing.

The next nearest model is the HT-S3500 at $279.00 pre-discount.

Score! Thanks for the code. $251 for a tx-nr616.

OP, the initial $50 discount for being a member is not showing up for me. Sure it's not something else?

Looks to be a dead deal..OOS

Was able to get a TX-NR616 for $216 after discount and use of Onkyo Points...thanks for the deal reminder OP

Thanks Op! I purchased the TX-NR616 for $251.

Are there any reviews out there on this product?

SalamiSincere said:   Are there any reviews out there on this product?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120182

Return policy not sure of.

Slickone: I just purchased this set so not sure if a remote is coming with. As for a purchase from 5 years ago on a refurb model yes it did come with a remote. The discount I spoke of was when you login with your user name to the Onkyo website the price changes from $249.00 to $199.00 for Club members. This was offered on their Club Specials tab on the Shop Onkyo website.

Looks like this theater system is no longer available as a refurb. Maybe a low amount of stock? Other models are on there but this model was the most discounted one I saw.

Thanks for the review Comp625. I was trying to find some input on it.

Oh, from the last refurb I purchased direct from onkyo they did include all wires. I'll see if it comes with on this system.

Coupon Code will still work for others looking for higher end setups on their site.

I think the receiver alone is still available for around $95.

Anyone know if they charge tax to NY?

Johnnyma45 said:   OP, the initial $50 discount for being a member is not showing up for me. Sure it's not something else?
I didnt get that either, gonna wait till tomorrow, hopefully its just a glitch and will be back on tomorrow.

AUDYSSEY EQ on the cheap, nice!

OOS

I moved the discussion of the TX-NR515 and TX-NR616 over HERE

Thanks OP!

Thanks

i was actually looking at this on Amazon for $250. picked it up here for $139, thanks OP!

Did anyone get the 50$ discount today for registering to Onkyo Club ? I registered yesterday and just got 10 points.

vamsikeitz said:   Did anyone get the 50$ discount today for registering to Onkyo Club ? I registered yesterday and just got 10 points.

Points are like dollars and come off of the price of any purchase. By signing up, you got essentially $10.

There should be a club price for the receivers when you're logged in, which can be less then their normal advertised price. When you check out, you'll get the club price minus your points and then you use the HHCO code for an additional 25%.

Don't see it anymore

As Clivester has pointed out, they have the HT-S3500 for $279.00 referb (Pre-tax). Not sure what the difference is between the HT-3400, but I'm guessing it has a feature or two more, or maybe a little more power or more I/O. Should only be about $25 more, if OPs method sill works.

vamsikeitz said:   Did anyone get the 50$ discount today for registering to Onkyo Club ? I registered yesterday and just got 10 points.
Just figured out, the extra $50 off just apply for only any items in Club Special Tab, unfortunately there is no more HR-3400, only HT-S5500 for $389 and couple standalone receivers.

3400s are out of stock. They went faster than I thought. Unless for some reason they offer a few more for sale the initial deal is dead for the 3400. I would still keep checking now through the 16th incase something changes and more become available.

Green for Onkyo, I've bought several refurb's through their store, and they've never broken or not shown up in new condition.

Thanks for posting, but stlll OOS now.

anyone got theirs yet?

Skipping 15 Messages...
Thx again Doldrums, should be a nice upgrade from my older Onkyo (hdmi-less) ht-r230.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.