• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I think a couple of us stumbled into this deal, thanks to Ataristyle's post (Original post HERE), but I thought I would bring it up to the surface because a couple have jumped on it.

TX-NR515 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver
Special Features

8in/2out HDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel
Network Capability Delivers Internet Radio and Network Streaming
Marvell Qdeo™ Video Chip for 4K Upscaling and Processing
MHL™ (Mobile High-Definition Link) for Smart Phone Content on HDTV
Picture-in-Picture Input Source Preview with InstaPrevue™ Technology
Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB Port
Onkyo Remote App for iPod/iPhone
Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz Add New Dimensions to Surround Sound
Hybrid Standby Function to Reduce Power Consumption

$299 (for Onkyo Club members)
-75 (HHCO 25% off Code thru 12/16)
--------
$224 plus tax (I didn't have to pay any in WI) with FREE SHIPPING
-$$ if you have any Onkyo Points (10 for signing up I believe?)

Retail at Amazon is $300 new

LINK

BUT, for about $40 more, you can have the THX certified TX-NR616

TX-NR616 - 7.2-Ch THX Certified Network A/V Receiver
Special Features

8in/2out HDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel
THX Select2 Plus Certified
Network Capability Delivers Internet Radio and Network Streaming
Marvell Qdeo™ Video Chip for 4K Upscaling and Processing
MHL™ (Mobile High-Definition Link) for Smart Phone Content on HDTV
Picture-in-Picture Input Source Preview with InstaPrevue™ Technology
Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB Port
Onkyo Remote App for iPod/iPhone
Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz Add New Dimensions to Surround Sound
Hybrid Standby Function to Reduce Power Consumption

$349 (for Onkyo Club members)
-87 (HHCO 25% off Code thru 12/16)
--------
$262 plus tax (I didn't have to pay any in WI) with FREE SHIPPING
-$$ if you have any Onkyo Points (10 for signing up I believe?)

LINK

Retail at Amazon is $400 new

I can't wait. I've been looking for a 2 HDMI output receiver to clean up my projector/TV system and this has tons of other great features to boot. I hope this helps someone!

Member Summary

Onkyo 7.2 receivers TX-NR616
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Come on Onkyo, ship my receiver!! 8 days and no tracking number

jbserra (Dec. 20, 2012 @ 1:28p) |

Just as I'm cursing their name and the rain turns into heavy wet snow, BAM, there it is on my front door step. Woo hoo!... (more)

jbserra (Dec. 20, 2012 @ 2:59p) |

Hey, does anyone recommend a squaretrade warranty for these receivers? It looks like you can get 3 years for $41, there... (more)

jbserra (Dec. 21, 2012 @ 3:46p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Or you can have the TX-NR609 shipped for $215 which trumps them all - bang for the buck champion of all time.

edit:

OOS already, I knew that wouldn't last long.

Maybe?

Compared to the TX-NR616, it looks like the TX-NR609 has less power, 2 less HDMI inputs, 1 less HDMI output (which was very important to my setup), one less Zone, otherwise it looks to have the other same features. I must have missed that one, though, when looking for 2 HDMI outputs.

It says refurbished units don't come with cables. Any idea what cables are usually shipping with a new condition receiver?

I had luck with cables coming in a previous factory refurbished HT-R530 theater system purchased about 5 years ago direct from Onkyo. Again 5 years policy can change but at that time I was expecting no cables since it said no cables come with on their website. For New I'm not sure what comes with.

I have ordered a number of refurb items through Onkyo and they were all totally complete with remotes and cables so I think the warning is just to cover the odd situation not the norm. In fact all of the items I have purchased looked to be new in the original box with the exception of the "refurbished" label on it.

Wish they had the 809. My 606 has had HDMI issues for about a year now(has to warm up before they work)....figure that is a decent excuse to upgrade.

Be aware that ONKYO has had some issues with the ribbon cables were corroding. I dont have all of the skinny but on my new ONKYO the cables went out after 6 months, they were replaced no problem under the warranty. but the repair person told me that he has had a flurry of these ribbon issues and indicated that they must have used poor quality, as they are using a complete different replacement part. this was last year

as far as cables it all depends on the model, there is for certain a power cable, but in some models they have sound sensor that has a long cable, its used to automatically sensor the room based on the location and adjust levels. you
can do that manually as I do myself

Some new devices come with RCA cables, such as CD players. Usually receivers only come with an AM and an FM antenna, a remote and batteries. When I bought a refurb Onkyo receiver last year from Shop Onkyo it had the antennae, remote, and batteries.

ridn4free said:   Be aware that ONKYO has had some issues with the ribbon cables were corroding. I dont have all of the skinny but on my new ONKYO the cables went out after 6 months, they were replaced no problem under the warranty. but the repair person told me that he has had a flurry of these ribbon issues and indicated that they must have used poor quality, as they are using a complete different replacement part. this was last year

as far as cables it all depends on the model, there is for certain a power cable, but in some models they have sound sensor that has a long cable, its used to automatically sensor the room based on the location and adjust levels. you
can do that manually as I do myself

If that's the case, hopefully they've been gone over and upgraded. I've really enjoyed Onkyo refurbished equipment. I have bought a number of amplifiers over the years and they're still running well.

Also, these receivers had a bunch of HDMI switching issues early on. It appears it was resolved around October timeframe, but I'm sure a bunch went back due to the issues with the firmware.

When you get your receiver, verify it has the latest firmware, otherwise you may have some issues. Most reviews after October are pretty positive.

THX is great, but of those buying a THX certified equipment, how many have a THX certified home theater (room)?

edit: grammar

I would love to jump on this. My last three receivers have all been Onkyo and I've only upgraded for additional features. BUT my current unit has a known problem where the HDMI circuits are on a daughterboard and apparently there's an issue with the soldering where it weakens over time due to the heat/cool cycle. Onkyo has identified the problem but since it takes several years for the problem to surface, they claimed they were not liable as the units are all out of warranty.

I like Onkyo, think they give good value in general, and understand their system well. Heck, even my learning remote barely has to change programming as the codes are usually the same between units. But now that I've been on the losing end of Onkyo's customer service, I'm not as willing to go along just for the brand. Maybe it's time I moved to another brand.

dlong said:   THX is great, but of those buying a THX certified equipment, how many have a THX certified home theater (room)?

edit: grammar

I'm pretty sure my living room would fail any certification, however the projector I just ordered is also THX certified

nodinero said:   I would love to jump on this. My last three receivers have all been Onkyo and I've only upgraded for additional features. BUT my current unit has a known problem where the HDMI circuits are on a daughterboard and apparently there's an issue with the soldering where it weakens over time due to the heat/cool cycle. Onkyo has identified the problem but since it takes several years for the problem to surface, they claimed they were not liable as the units are all out of warranty.

I like Onkyo, think they give good value in general, and understand their system well. Heck, even my learning remote barely has to change programming as the codes are usually the same between units. But now that I've been on the losing end of Onkyo's customer service, I'm not as willing to go along just for the brand. Maybe it's time I moved to another brand.

I can confirm their CS is bad. Also even after numerous complaints (see Amazon) about their DX-C390 CD player, they still can't make them reliable. Mine quit early on. Looks like the new C-7030 has problems too.

Slickone said:   nodinero said:   I would love to jump on this. My last three receivers have all been Onkyo and I've only upgraded for additional features. BUT my current unit has a known problem where the HDMI circuits are on a daughterboard and apparently there's an issue with the soldering where it weakens over time due to the heat/cool cycle. Onkyo has identified the problem but since it takes several years for the problem to surface, they claimed they were not liable as the units are all out of warranty.

I can confirm their CS is bad. Also even after numerous complaints (see Amazon) about their DX-C390 CD player, they still can't make them reliable. Mine quit early on. Looks like the new C-7030 has problems too.

I have to agree here too. The person on the phone sound like they are doing you a favor by answer the phone. I called to ask to see if they know of any IR extender/repeater that would work since my receiver is behind a wall. They said no. No recommendations, no information, no Onkyo does not sell one, no, no, nothing. Really?

Great deal... in for 1

Reviews are a pretty mixed on the TX-NR616, but I figured with the money I save I can get the extended warranty ($40). $292 total is still $83 less than Amazon (new unit of course) and I get a year longer warranty (3 years total). Thanks OP!

Deal is still on this morning! I just checked the TX-NR616 price and it's still $261.

Ok, well that was short lived...

Coupon appears dead now.

nodinero said:   I would love to jump on this. My last three receivers have all been Onkyo and I've only upgraded for additional features. BUT my current unit has a known problem where the HDMI circuits are on a daughterboard and apparently there's an issue with the soldering where it weakens over time due to the heat/cool cycle. Onkyo has identified the problem but since it takes several years for the problem to surface, they claimed they were not liable as the units are all out of warranty.

TX-NR807? I have the same problem. The unit is only 3 years old.

Come on Onkyo, ship my receiver!! 8 days and no tracking number

Just as I'm cursing their name and the rain turns into heavy wet snow, BAM, there it is on my front door step. Woo hoo! Let the games begin!

Hey, does anyone recommend a squaretrade warranty for these receivers? It looks like you can get 3 years for $41, there are coupons to bring that price down and they cover shipping to/from their warranty repair location, parts + labor. Seems like a good deal, but I wasn't sure how well it worked for a receiver. Let me know your experience!

Thanks

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014