• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

HDHomeRun DUAL
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Back up to $85

ChrisSBU (Dec. 19, 2012 @ 10:35a) |

If you think your new TiVo wont crash youre going to be dissapointed. As for HTPCs, I have been running them in my home... (more)

mirage00 (Dec. 19, 2012 @ 12:44p) |

As long as you find hardware that works together and don't install betas just for the heck of it, HTPCs aren't even that... (more)

timr37482 (Dec. 19, 2012 @ 1:33p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Price? Store? Red?

Does this support a cablecard? If not, it's pretty useless.

No. And yes, it's pretty useless. And does not support Silicon Dust's future plans:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hdhomerun-prime-is-the-first-...

no cable card support.

It will receive over the air - OTA - channels and unencrypted cable channels - ClearQAM. The cable companies are planning to encrypt all channels in future; a recent FCC ruling allows them to do so. So the reality is buy this only for OTA channels. Depending on where you live, you probably are able to pick up several HD channels for free. http://www.tvfool.com - this site has good to show what you can receive.

In my case I have 2 of these (record up to 4 channels OTA) and 1 Silicon Dust HD Prime (which takes a cable card and records another 3 channels). I receive all the basic channels - CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC, and some others, OTA. I setup up Windows Media Center so that it uses the OTA tuners for these channels first, then uses Cable Card tuner. To get 7 tuners to show in WMC, you need a program called TunerSalad, $5. Also useful is My Channels Logo and a program called Guide Tool.

I got one of these on a similar deal a month ago.. This is a very good deal, these normally run $80 - $110. It took just 4-5 minutes to hook it up to my antenna and network and install the drivers and start watching live TV. It works great. The challenge is if you want to set up a DVR(PVR?) service... I have win XP and the HDHR dual is not compatible with XP MCE, you need at least Vista for that...
3rd party options (many free)are listed on wikipedia here.
MediaPortal and NextPVR were looking good until I got stuck in all the system upgrades required to get those running, latest .net, MP11 etc.

looks like a great deal. Before I commit, does Win7 and Win8 media center support this with dual-tuner support? I'm looking to replace my TiVo with an HTPC for OTA-only but don't want to bite if the UI is too cumbersome for my wife and kids when compared to TiVo.

update (I was being lazy): Newegg does state this is supported by Win8 Media Center. Would still like to hear from anyone who has gone this route who is also familiar with a TiVo experience.

rsuaver said:   Price? Store? Red?

If you are asking for RED, here goes.

From the Newegg page

HDHomeRun is an Ethernet attached TV tuner that
turns each of your networked computers into a full-featured digital DVR


So does that mean I can watch the TV live (the signal on the unit) on all pcs on the home network....
I am not interested in the DVR part.

wadewood said:   In my case I have 2 of these (record up to 4 channels OTA) and 1 Silicon Dust HD Prime (which takes a cable card and records another 3 channels). I receive all the basic channels - CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC, and some others, OTA. I setup up Windows Media Center so that it uses the OTA tuners for these channels first, then uses Cable Card tuner. To get 7 tuners to show in WMC, you need a program called TunerSalad, $5. Also useful is My Channels Logo and a program called Guide Tool.

You don't need Tuner Salad for your configuration. WMC7 can handle 4 tuners of each type, so you can have 4 CableCard tuners, 4 Clear QAM, 4 ATSC (OTA), etc. You need Tuner Salad only to go beyond 4 tuners of a single type.

Coop1979 said:   No. And yes, it's pretty useless. And does not support Silicon Dust's future plans:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hdhomerun-prime-is-the-first-...


Far from useless...OTA tuner to a media server backend is a godsend to all us cheapskate who don't want to pay $20/month to cable for basic channels.

ZenerDiode said:   Coop1979 said:   No. And yes, it's pretty useless. And does not support Silicon Dust's future plans:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hdhomerun-prime-is-the-first-...


Far from useless...OTA tuner to a media server backend is a godsend to all us cheapskate who don't want to pay $20/month to cable for basic channels.


It all depends on how much trouble oneself wants to go thru to erect an antenna and all extra wiring.
Indoor antenna is a touch and go and depends on your location.

Got one of these around black Friday time and can't believe I didn't have one of these already. It "just works" and using it with XBMC's new Live TV/PVR feature pretty much rocks. (Using NextPVR on the backend)

bhavin66 said:   ZenerDiode said:   Coop1979 said:   No. And yes, it's pretty useless. And does not support Silicon Dust's future plans:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hdhomerun-prime-is-the-first-...


Far from useless...OTA tuner to a media server backend is a godsend to all us cheapskate who don't want to pay $20/month to cable for basic channels.


It all depends on how much trouble oneself wants to go thru to erect an antenna and all extra wiring.
Indoor antenna is a touch and go and depends on your location.


Certainly not easy, but 2 hours on one Saturday afternoon, $40 for a cheapo Channelmaster outdoor antenna, and $100 for the HDHR tuner has saved me over $500 the past 3 years. One additional bonus is that my OTA channels aren't compressed like they are through Comcast AND I get an additional 10 or so subchannels like PBSKids and Vietnamese language channels for my mom (also not available through Comcast).

RE:
One additional bonus is that my OTA channels aren't compressed

OTA is always a better picture than through cable, DTV or Dish..
Always.

bhavin66 said:   Indoor antenna is a touch and go and depends on your location.

This is true, but for me, I can say the unamped Winegard Flatwave leaf antenna was like a miracle for both VHF and UHF compared to amped antennae like the Terk HDTVa. The improvement in performance was truly incredible. Without the amp on the Terk, no channels would come in (and the Terk doesn't strictly require the amp), and with the amp, one VHF station simply wouldn't come in, a major network whose tower is less than 10 mi away. With the unamped Winegard, I got it at 90% strength. For the channels I could get at 60-70% and 20 SNR on the Terk, I got them at 90-100% and 30 SNR with the Flatwave. I was expecting it to be all hype, but the thing actually works.

Before I commit, does Win7 and Win8 media center support this with dual-tuner support? I'm looking to replace my TiVo with an HTPC for OTA-only but don't want to bite if the UI is too cumbersome for my wife and kids when compared to TiVo.

update (I was being lazy): Newegg does state this is supported by Win8 Media Center. Would still like to hear from anyone who has gone this route who is also familiar with a TiVo experience.


I have one and yes, it absolutely does support Windows 7. They have drivers for Windows 8, but I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade at this point. The integration between their drivers and apps with Windows Media Center works well.

I came from TiVo, and WMC is just as good from a spouse acceptance factor point of view. The interface is easy to use, WMC has good guide data that's FREE and it records shows reliably and in HD. The remotes are fine, and the green button works as a home button, like TiVo. WMC's local music and movies integration is WAY better than TiVo. It allows you to prioritize season passes and pads the beginning and end of shows if it can. I use mine for ClearQAM (and will eventually move to OTA, since the FTC let cable companies junk ClearQAM).

However, there are some caveats. This is *not* a cablecard device, so if you're using a Series 3 or newer TiVo with a cable subscrption, this won't work for you.

Also, a PC is *not* an appliance. I had to monkey with the channel labels (2-3 hours) to get everything working right. I had an instance where my router was acting weird and momentarily kicking my Ethernet-connected HTPC off the network, where it would stop recording and NOT RESTART. DURING THE WORLD SERIES. I've had HDMI handshake issues, where my system resumes to an incorrect display resolution.

These are (I think) all of the issues I've had in two years of using this setup, so I haven't had to futz with my HTPC too much, but TiVo just works.

All in all, I'm glad I jumped. I'm saving $80 per year versus using TiVo and it's just as good, aside from the occasional issue.

ZenerDiode said:   Coop1979 said:   No. And yes, it's pretty useless. And does not support Silicon Dust's future plans:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hdhomerun-prime-is-the-first-...


Far from useless...OTA tuner to a media server backend is a godsend to all us cheapskate who don't want to pay $20/month to cable for basic channels.


Sorry, you're right. I should have said "pretty useless for someone with cable". For OTA fans this thing is great.

RE:
I should have said "pretty useless for someone with cable".

I disagree...
Say you have their selector box or DVR thingy...
And you want to get what you can somewhere in the house without needing to buy or rent their box.
This is perfect.


yesidonoitall said:   RE:
I should have said "pretty useless for someone with cable".

I disagree...
Say you have their selector box or DVR thingy...
And you want to get what you can somewhere in the house without needing to buy or rent their box.
This is perfect.

Not once the cable companies encrypt all QAM channels in 2013.

Nomad5 said:   Am'zon price matched

Amazon - HDHomeRun DUAL - $59.99



So who is better to buy from?

yesidonoitall said:   Nomad5 said:   Am'zon price matched

Amazon - HDHomeRun DUAL - $59.99



So who is better to buy from?


Umm, I thought you would know ... yesidonoitall

Nomad5 said:   yesidonoitall said:   Nomad5 said:   Am'zon price matched

Amazon - HDHomeRun DUAL - $59.99



So who is better to buy from?


Umm, I thought you would know ... yesidonoitall



It is NO
not
KNOW

I know

I have one, definitely works with WMC Vista (as well as Windows 7, as mentioned).

You don't have to use PVR, but at least with WMC, that's going to be available by default. My primary purpose was to allow PCs to show broadcast tv. If you just watch live tv, that's all there is to it. But you've now got access to a pause button too, as well as widgets to jump ahead if you do that. Pretty handy to tune into a football game an hour after it starts and catch up before it's over without missing anything.

I found this taxed my wireless network pretty hard, causing jumpy playback on wireless pcs and even affecting other network traffic while that was active. I've switched to powerline network connection for the primary pc using this and everything's running well now with a 100-150Mb connection.

timr37482 said:   wadewood said:   In my case I have 2 of these (record up to 4 channels OTA) and 1 Silicon Dust HD Prime (which takes a cable card and records another 3 channels). I receive all the basic channels - CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC, and some others, OTA. I setup up Windows Media Center so that it uses the OTA tuners for these channels first, then uses Cable Card tuner. To get 7 tuners to show in WMC, you need a program called TunerSalad, $5. Also useful is My Channels Logo and a program called Guide Tool.

You don't need Tuner Salad for your configuration. WMC7 can handle 4 tuners of each type, so you can have 4 CableCard tuners, 4 Clear QAM, 4 ATSC (OTA), etc. You need Tuner Salad only to go beyond 4 tuners of a single type.


Yes in my configuration, TunerSalad is required. I have 4 OTA digital tuners and 3 Cable Card tuners. WMC7 sees this as 7 digital tuners and max. is 4. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-should-I-know-b...

I recently did a OS reinstall and WMC7 was only seeing 4 tuners (3 cable card and 1 OTA). I had forgot to install TunerSalad. After installing it saw all 7 tuners.

SlimTim said:   I have one, definitely works with WMC Vista (as well as Windows 7, as mentioned).

You don't have to use PVR, but at least with WMC, that's going to be available by default. My primary purpose was to allow PCs to show broadcast tv. If you just watch live tv, that's all there is to it. But you've now got access to a pause button too, as well as widgets to jump ahead if you do that. Pretty handy to tune into a football game an hour after it starts and catch up before it's over without missing anything.

I found this taxed my wireless network pretty hard, causing jumpy playback on wireless pcs and even affecting other network traffic while that was active. I've switched to powerline network connection for the primary pc using this and everything's running well now with a 100-150Mb connection.

Same experience here. Dropped wireless packets are inevitable, and they really can make things unwatchable, depending on severity. Wired network is almost required if you want smooth, dropout-free playback, since there is no buffering of the live TV.

wadewood said:   timr37482 said:   wadewood said:   In my case I have 2 of these (record up to 4 channels OTA) and 1 Silicon Dust HD Prime (which takes a cable card and records another 3 channels). I receive all the basic channels - CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC, and some others, OTA. I setup up Windows Media Center so that it uses the OTA tuners for these channels first, then uses Cable Card tuner. To get 7 tuners to show in WMC, you need a program called TunerSalad, $5. Also useful is My Channels Logo and a program called Guide Tool.

You don't need Tuner Salad for your configuration. WMC7 can handle 4 tuners of each type, so you can have 4 CableCard tuners, 4 Clear QAM, 4 ATSC (OTA), etc. You need Tuner Salad only to go beyond 4 tuners of a single type.


Yes in my configuration, TunerSalad is required. I have 4 OTA digital tuners and 3 Cable Card tuners. WMC7 sees this as 7 digital tuners and max. is 4. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-should-I-know-b...

I recently did a OS reinstall and WMC7 was only seeing 4 tuners (3 cable card and 1 OTA). I had forgot to install TunerSalad. After installing it saw all 7 tuners.


There's Microsoft documentation, and then there's how things really work. My understanding comes from sources like the Tuner Salad home page, plus participating in Media Center forums where people talk about the limits. If correct, I expect that your result was due to coincidence.

http://www.mychannellogos.com/Pages/TSdl.aspx
Tuner salad DOES NOT add more tuners to your computer- it simply lets you use the tuners you already have. It increases the limit Microsoft puts on tuners- by default, that is a maximum of 4 per tuner type (ATSC, NTSC, CableCard, DVB-S, etc.). The Ceton InfiniTV 4 has 4 tuners in one card. The base-model of HDHomeRun Prime has 3 tuners in one box. To benefit from TunerSalad, you should have greater than 4 tuners of the same type. Refunds will no longer be given for not reading this disclaimer.

I don't know about you guys but I cracked up when I saw the name 'Tuner Salad'. That is just the coolest name ever for an app A tip of the Fedora to the person who thought it up.

I am not sure what this product is for. I read the reviews in Newegg / Amazon. I was wondering if it is worth buying it. I just cancelled cable TV. I only have cable internet. I use Vizio Costar for my movies, etc. I plugged in an OTA for regular channels. Was looking into XBMC...so far, can't get working.

Any reason I should get this unit for my current setup? TIA

I have the previous version, where each channel has its own input, requiring additional splitting, but it works great. I want to add more tuners, so ordered one up this morning, from Newegg. It was the same price at JRs last weekend, so I printed out a sheet, to get Fry's to match, but did not make it there, before it went back up. It is really convenient to be able to use the network tuner to watch TV from all my PCs.

I have to wait a few days, but save the tax at Fry's; Amazon charges tax here in TX also.

Temecula1 said:   I am not sure what this product is for. I read the reviews in Newegg / Amazon. I was wondering if it is worth buying it. I just cancelled cable TV. I only have cable internet. I use Vizio Costar for my movies, etc. I plugged in an OTA for regular channels. Was looking into XBMC...so far, can't get working.

Any reason I should get this unit for my current setup? TIA



The cable company blocks all but the internet coming to you.

I pretty much agree with wadewood regarding the *GREAT* value of these devices!
  1. wadewood said:   It will receive over the air - OTA - channels and unencrypted cable channels - ClearQAM. The cable companies are planning to encrypt all channels in future; a recent FCC ruling allows them to do so. So the reality is buy this only for OTA channels. Depending on where you live, you probably are able to pick up several HD channels for free. http://www.tvfool.com - this site has good to show what you can receive.Currently, I have two HDHR3-US units online under Vista, creating .DVR-MS files that can be played by Vista WMC, W7 WMC, *AND* the WDTV LIVE PLUS Media Streamer. W7 WMC also included a CONVERT program to *MANUALLY* convert, one-by-one, .WTV files (W7) to .DVR-MS files (Vista) - I haven't implemented a BATCH file to do that yet. AFAICT, I should also be able to CONVERT .WTV and/or .DVR-MS files into .TS and/or .MKV files, readable from the the majority of the Media Streamers. But, again, I haven't gotten a "Round Tuit" yet - my 97-year-old Dad took seriously ill in Sept 2012 and I've been devoting the majority of my time to caring for him.

    Since I need *FIVE* tuners, I have a third HDHR3-US "Ready-to-Install" to simultaneously record (OTA or ClearQAM):
    • CBS
    • NBC
    • ABC
    • FOX
    • CW

    And a Hauppauge PVR-1212 connected via COMPONENT to a FiOS STB to record SCRAMBLED Channels in .TS Format to a W7 Laptop (NOTE: These .TS files can be viewed on just about *ANY* Media Streamer! ) I figure that *IF* I have to switch to DirecTV or DISH for my non-OTA Channels, I can still use the PVR-1212, but NOT a CableCard-Ready SiliconDust unit.

  2. wadewood said:   In my case I have 2 of these (record up to 4 channels OTA) and 1 Silicon Dust HD Prime (which takes a cable card and records another 3 channels). I receive all the basic channels - CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC, and some others, OTA. I setup up Windows Media Center so that it uses the OTA tuners for these channels first, then uses Cable Card tuner. To get 7 tuners to show in WMC, you need a program called TunerSalad, $5. Also useful is My Channels Logo and a program called Guide Tool.The difference between wadewood and myself is that I'm:
    1. At any time willing to give up non-OTA channels (i.e. Cable / Satellite)
    2. IF/WHEN I find another GOOD DEAL on Cable *OR* Satellite, I plan to use the PVR-1212 to record the SCRAMBLED output on my W7 Laptop. AFAICT, the SiliconDust HD Prime is limited to *CABLE* only...



  1. SlimTim said:   I have one, definitely works with WMC Vista (as well as Windows 7, as mentioned).

    You don't have to use PVR, but at least with WMC, that's going to be available by default. My primary purpose was to allow PCs to show broadcast tv. If you just watch live tv, that's all there is to it. But you've now got access to a pause button too, as well as widgets to jump ahead if you do that. Pretty handy to tune into a football game an hour after it starts and catch up before it's over without missing anything.

    I found this taxed my wireless network pretty hard, causing jumpy playback on wireless pcs and even affecting other network traffic while that was active. I've switched to powerline network connection for the primary pc using this and everything's running well now with a 100-150Mb connection.
    Similar experience here - although I've never used WIRELESS, I'm comparing WIRED 100Kbps to 1000Kbps. Instead of feeding 2 HDHR3-US (4 Tuners) through a 100Kbps 5-port Linksys Switch, I upgraded to a 1000Kbps 5-port DLink Switch. Over the past year, I've upgraded the majority of my Home LAN to 1000Kbps, with only 100Kbps switches at the final destinations / rooms for 100Kbps devices. I find it more comforting to see ~12% Network Utilizaton in Task Manager @ 1000Kbps than possibly MAXIMIZING Network Utilizaton @ 100 Kbps (~120%?).

  2. lbwarped said:   ...Dropped wireless packets are inevitable, and they really can make things unwatchable, depending on severity. Wired network is almost required if you want smooth, dropout-free playback, since there is no buffering of the live TV.IME, there are more variables involved that just WIRED vs WIRELESS. My current HTPC is a HP Pavilion a6528p with an e2200 CPU, 3GB RAM, Vista (initially SP1, now SP2). I have a 3TB WD External USB3 that 'seemed' to work well enough, but, eventually started SEVERELY MACRO-BLOCKING. NOTE: I also had FireFox 3.x running 24x7 and I believe that it's "Memory Leak" problems increased the MACRO-BLOCKING. I recently switched back to the internal 500GB Hitachi SATA and although I still have random MACRO-BLOCKING, it is much less.

    I figure that if Vista WMC is the *ONLY* task that the HP a6528p has to run, it would be able to handle it (4-6 tuners) efficiently. Firefox 3.x and/or IE8 windows with tabs open certainly steal CPU cycles at the *WRONG* times.

I have no idea what all this is about. I no longer have cable and Im now getting only channels that can be picked up with my tv tuners and antennas. I have win 7 pc but Im on dial-up. What if anything, can this help me ?

Windows Media Center will use the two tuners in this HD HomeRun to turn your PC into a DVR, complete with guide, for the OTA broadcasts you currently can only watch live on your TV. Windows Media Center should be able to use your dial-up connection to download guide data once a day, but I have to say, I've only ever used it with always-on cable Internet service. There is no cost other than the purchase price, in particular, no monthly fees of any kind.

I have done the media pc thing for a long time (since around 2000) and now that I have a TiVo I will never go back. It just plain works. If you are planning a pc build for a middle range htpc and you compare the cost to a TiVo with lifetime service you will find in the end the TiVo a better value and less of a pain to work with. I currently have a TiVo HD and there are no annoying windows updates that slow down the computer while running or try out this new software its way better or the hard drive crashed and we lost everything. You can schedule recordings from your phone or a computer and it just plain works. If you do plan on getting a TiVo one suggestion I do have is to buy a Series 2 with lifetime add it to your account then sign up for the multi service discount and then sell the Series 2 as this will save you $100 off of lifetime service. There is absolutely no reason to not get lifetime service as it transfers with the box and the resale value of Tivos with lifetime service does not go down that much.

Skipping 3 Messages...
As long as you find hardware that works together and don't install betas just for the heck of it, HTPCs aren't even that fragile. My HTPC has always been my primary PC, used for web, software development, DAW, etc, and I've had no problems due to that. I've always had the OS drive separate from the data drives, which helps with TV recording, and I've had as many as 5 tuners at one time. Right now, I have just an HD Homerun Prime, running the last stable release firmware/driver from April. I do have another PC, but it's for gaming. That's where I draw the separation.

As for Windows Update, the first thing I do after installing Windows is turn off automatic updates. I do manual updates every month unless there is a well-publicized security issue.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014