• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Back up to $85

If you think your new TiVo wont crash youre going to be dissapointed. As for HTPCs, I have been running them in my home since 2002 and am extremely happy. You can't expect to be doing windows updates constantly and playing around with your HTPC yet still have the same reliability as your TiVo. Build an HTPC, put it in service and DONT TOUCH IT. It will serve you well.

As long as you find hardware that works together and don't install betas just for the heck of it, HTPCs aren't even that fragile. My HTPC has always been my primary PC, used for web, software development, DAW, etc, and I've had no problems due to that. I've always had the OS drive separate from the data drives, which helps with TV recording, and I've had as many as 5 tuners at one time. Right now, I have just an HD Homerun Prime, running the last stable release firmware/driver from April. I do have another PC, but it's for gaming. That's where I draw the separation.

As for Windows Update, the first thing I do after installing Windows is turn off automatic updates. I do manual updates every month unless there is a well-publicized security issue.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014