QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

HP Pavilion 14 Sleekbook Laptop: Core i3 2377M 1.50GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD $300 AR @ Staples + Free Shipping

3 of 10
bylin2000
12/19/12 12:08 AM
dukerau said:   

Anyone have experience returning a computer to Staples? I'm tempted by this but worried about the touchpad based on reviews. If I try it out and hate it and want to return (within 14 days), are there any restocking fees? I read the return policy but it's vague..."must be in sellable condition"...

had a Staples online chat with a rep, says you can return even if you open the box. but all packaging must be there "in sellable condition". and Staples does not charge restock fees. currently there is the holiday return which extends your 14 day standard return to 1/12/2013.
my1bug
12/19/12 7:42 AM
Without touchscreen, there really is no point in using metro. It's like watching a food show without being able to eat any of the goodies.
brusbrother
12/19/12 7:46 AM
my1bug said:   

Without touchscreen, there really is no point in using metro. It's like watching a food show without being able to eat any of the goodies.

We bought into touch screens for our office two years ago. What a waste. Ever tried typing on the virtual keyboard on a vertical surface?!
theedge103
12/19/12 8:10 AM
The allure of touchscreens on Windows 8 is not typing on the screen (there is a real keyboard after all) but to use the Metro interface like it was designed.
djan2000
12/19/12 8:50 AM
Out of Stock online.
Logician1313
12/19/12 8:59 AM
STAFF POST
Just picked one up in-store, thanks OP. Removing some of the bloatware now.
beerman1976
12/19/12 9:00 AM
consumer reports review
CR's Take

Performance on this laptop was only fair. There are better choices.

Highs
At 4 pounds, this is lightweight for a laptop this size
Has a multitouch touchpad

Lows
Among the slower models we've tested
No optical drive

Detailed test results

Overall this laptop's performance was only fair, well below that of many models. Performance was okay for routine productivity and Web-based tasks but on the slow side, which you ' d notice most when launching apps and scanning for malware. It was slow for viewing and editing photos, and speed was adequate for viewing and editing HD videos. Sound from the built-in speakers was inadequate for all but the simplest use.

At 4.75 hours, battery life was typical for a laptop. At 4 pounds, this is lightweight for a laptop this size.

The keyboard, touchpad, labeling, and LED indicators were all well-designed, making it comfortable and convenient to use. The full-sized keyboard was pleasant to type on. The touchpad supports use of multiple-finger gestures to zoom and scroll. The touchpad has two buttons that are easy to press. The touchpad is well positioned on the keyboard, so it's easy to reach and not prone to interference from arms or wrists.

The display quality was good overall. Colors were in the ballpark, though not completely accurate. The viewing angle of the display is middling, so you might have to adjust the position for optimal viewability for one user and even more so for multiple viewers.

Useful features and attributes on this model include: You can connect common external devices such as hard drives and Blu-ray burners to the USB 3.0 port for maximum performance. An HDMI port is provided for connecting this laptop to an HDTV.

Downsides: There's no optical drive like a CD or DVD reader, so you'll have to buy an external drive if you need one. There are no ExpressCard slots for adding Wi-Fi or TV tuners.
beerman1976
12/19/12 9:01 AM
got a 52/100, which was the lowest rating of all laptops tested.
blueribb
12/19/12 9:55 AM
Why is this thread marked "expired" when it's still available in-store ?
RaoMonger
12/19/12 9:57 AM
Logician1313 said:   

Just picked one up in-store, thanks OP. Removing some of the bloatware now.

Do you simply wipe out the HD and reinstall or remove just those bloats you dont need?
3 of 10
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.