QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

HP Pavilion 14 Sleekbook Laptop: Core i3 2377M 1.50GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD $300 AR @ Staples + Free Shipping

4 of 10
RaoMonger
12/19/12 10:00 AM
beerman1976 said:   

consumer reports review
>>Performance on this laptop was only fair. There are better choices.

Are they comparing with laptops that cost $300?
Logician1313
12/19/12 10:08 AM
STAFF POST
RaoMonger said:   

Logician1313 said:   

Just picked one up in-store, thanks OP. Removing some of the bloatware now.

Do you simply wipe out the HD and reinstall or remove just those bloats you dont need?

I was considering just wiping what was there, but there is so much I think I will just clean wipe it. I will probably throw a copy of Win 7 on it as well using the built in Win 8 dual booter.

EDIT: Opening it up now to see how easy a RAM and SSD upgrade will be.
StinkPot
12/19/12 11:32 AM
Reserved 1 for instore pickup. Thanks OP.
optical
12/19/12 11:36 AM
Scored one at the store. Not a bad deal especially I had $40 in rewards to boot bringing my total to about $280'ish OTD after rebate.

Quality is overall good. This is probably the best quality notebook I've seen in this price range ($300!) especially in a 14" and i3 cpu. To give you a comparison, I bought Gateway deal ($289 OTD) a few weeks ago at Target and I like this a lot more mainly because it's much smaller and and has an i3 vs. B960 on the Gateway. The Gateway is going back!

Others have reported not liking the touchpad. For me, I felt it wasn't the best but it's usable. My complaint was actually the buttons which is too hard (IMO). Keyboard is very good and has a good tactile response. I guess you can't have it all and it's all about price.
optical
12/19/12 12:09 PM
I had the same thought. For $450, I probably wouldn't consider this laptop. For the $300, this is hot IMO.

RaoMonger said:   

beerman1976 said:   

consumer reports review
>>Performance on this laptop was only fair. There are better choices.

Are they comparing with laptops that cost $300?

Logician1313
12/19/12 12:47 PM
STAFF POST
Added to quick summary: Instruction on how to open to add RAM and SSD.

BTW.... mine came with 4GB DDR3 PC3 12800 (1 DIMM), so I will only need to buy 1 x 4GB stick to max it out.
lordoffire
12/19/12 6:06 PM
Logician1313 said:   

I was considering just wiping what was there, but there is so much I think I will just clean wipe it. I will probably throw a copy of Win 7 on it as well using the built in Win 8 dual booter.

EDIT: Opening it up now to see how easy a RAM and SSD upgrade will be.

lordoffire said:   

it is a good price, but FYI you can no longer downgrade HPs

good luck with that
in2dadark
12/19/12 6:56 PM
yesidonoitall said:   

Are the W8 haters the same people as the celeron haters?

Are the hate baiters the same as the plain ol' run of the mill baiters? If you don't like something someone else likes you're a hater & subject to the thought police. uh.. okaaayy.
edavid
12/20/12 11:42 AM
lordoffire said:   

*need price in the title

it is a good price, but FYI you can no longer downgrade HPs

What does that mean? There are Win7 drivers on the HP web site.

Now, does anyone know if all the drivers are available for WinXP? HP doesn't provide them, but the components seem pretty standard.
narkotsky
12/20/12 11:46 AM
For those who opened it up already - can you provide SODIMM timing info?
4 of 10
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.