• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Staples has HP Pavilion 14 Sleekbook Laptop for $450 - $100 off coupon code 82773 - $50 rebate = $300. Shipping is free

Specs

Here.

Intel Core i3-2377M 1.50GHz
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
14" 1366x768 LED
Intel HD Graphics 3000
WiFi N
4-cell Battery
Windows 8

Staples

*After $100 Off Coupon
**After $50 Easy Rebate

*Free Shipping

Online or Phone Coupon Code: 82773
In-Store Coupon Code: 35310
In-Store Printable Coupon here..

thank you

Member Summary

HP Pavilion 14 Sleekbook Laptop
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer

HP Pavilion 14 Sleekbook Laptop
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Apparently none left in the Los Angeles area..at all...according the sale associate, the ones in their systems are open ... (more)

biguprastafari (Dec. 30, 2012 @ 8:02p) |

Didn't the offer end a week ago?

yesidonoitall (Dec. 30, 2012 @ 8:06p) |

FYI for all who bought it:
I added 4GB RAM (for the total of 8) and mSATA 256GB SSD. This is thing flies now!. Part # is ... (more)

narkotsky (Jan. 09, 2013 @ 9:00p) |

Instruction on how to open to add RAM and SSD.

Mine came with 4GB DDR3 PC 12800 (1 DIMM), so it only needs 1 x 4GB stick to max it out. - Logician1313
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

*need price in the title

it is a good price, but FYI you can no longer downgrade HPs

Green for the OP. Great price, fourteen inch screen and Core i almost never available for $300. Windows 8 kind of sucks, but once everyone gets used to it we'll probably all wonder what the fuss was about.

As mentioned here.........
Staples has HP Pavilion 14 Sleekbook Laptop

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1245109/m17426880/#m17...

Keep in mind, no DVD/CD rom

Wow, a SandyBridge i3 and a 500GB HDD for $300 - pretty fantastic. Intel and HP are clearly aiming straight at the tablet market with these machines. Anyone who's considering shelling out serious bucks for a 10" tablet should pause and take a long, hard look at this notebook. Maybe, just maybe, in 6 months when Haswell notebooks start shipping, we'll see an Ivybridge-Core-i3 for the same $300 price, with Office-Student/Home edition thrown in for free.

Torch hot deal for an i3 Sandy, thanks OP.

Win 8 kills it.

Tempting

Haswell?

katnrica said:   Wow, a SandyBridge i3 and a 500GB HDD for $300 - pretty fantastic. Intel and HP are clearly aiming straight at the tablet market with these machines. Anyone who's considering shelling out serious bucks for a 10" tablet should pause and take a long, hard look at this notebook. Maybe, just maybe, in 6 months when Haswell notebooks start shipping, we'll see an Ivybridge-Core-i3 for the same $300 price, with Office-Student/Home edition thrown in for free.

Are the W8 haters the same people as the celeron haters?

ok if you hate win8, install classic shell. It's free. Windows8 has some things which are better than 7. I don't like metro, so I added classic shell. I still have metro (which is slowwwwly growing on me), but have a 'normal' windows 7 experince too.

Anyone have experience returning a computer to Staples? I'm tempted by this but worried about the touchpad based on reviews. If I try it out and hate it and want to return (within 14 days), are there any restocking fees? I read the return policy but it's vague..."must be in sellable condition"...

4-cell battery but it claims to have 4 1/2 hours battery life

oldsouthbw said:   4-cell battery but it claims to have 4 1/2 hours battery life

Yes, quite common with no optical drive.

dukerau said:   Anyone have experience returning a computer to Staples? I'm tempted by this but worried about the touchpad based on reviews. If I try it out and hate it and want to return (within 14 days), are there any restocking fees? I read the return policy but it's vague..."must be in sellable condition"...

Well, it has always been return for any rEason in 14 days and money back or exchange, after that you taKE IT UP WITH HP.

"4-cell battery but it claims to have 4 1/2 hours battery life"

- means it will have 2.5 hour in real life...

Integrator said:   "4-cell battery but it claims to have 4 1/2 hours battery life"

Just like the 30 mpg car gets only 22.

Integrator said:   "4-cell battery but it claims to have 4 1/2 hours battery life"

With no optical drive, their testing does show longer battery life.

dukerau said:   Anyone have experience returning a computer to Staples? I'm tempted by this but worried about the touchpad based on reviews. If I try it out and hate it and want to return (within 14 days), are there any restocking fees? I read the return policy but it's vague..."must be in sellable condition"...

had a Staples online chat with a rep, says you can return even if you open the box. but all packaging must be there "in sellable condition". and Staples does not charge restock fees. currently there is the holiday return which extends your 14 day standard return to 1/12/2013.

Without touchscreen, there really is no point in using metro. It's like watching a food show without being able to eat any of the goodies.

my1bug said:   Without touchscreen, there really is no point in using metro. It's like watching a food show without being able to eat any of the goodies.
We bought into touch screens for our office two years ago. What a waste. Ever tried typing on the virtual keyboard on a vertical surface?!

The allure of touchscreens on Windows 8 is not typing on the screen (there is a real keyboard after all) but to use the Metro interface like it was designed.

Out of Stock online.

Just picked one up in-store, thanks OP. Removing some of the bloatware now.

consumer reports review
CR's Take

Performance on this laptop was only fair. There are better choices.

Highs
At 4 pounds, this is lightweight for a laptop this size
Has a multitouch touchpad

Lows
Among the slower models we've tested
No optical drive

Detailed test results

Overall this laptop's performance was only fair, well below that of many models. Performance was okay for routine productivity and Web-based tasks but on the slow side, which you ' d notice most when launching apps and scanning for malware. It was slow for viewing and editing photos, and speed was adequate for viewing and editing HD videos. Sound from the built-in speakers was inadequate for all but the simplest use.

At 4.75 hours, battery life was typical for a laptop. At 4 pounds, this is lightweight for a laptop this size.

The keyboard, touchpad, labeling, and LED indicators were all well-designed, making it comfortable and convenient to use. The full-sized keyboard was pleasant to type on. The touchpad supports use of multiple-finger gestures to zoom and scroll. The touchpad has two buttons that are easy to press. The touchpad is well positioned on the keyboard, so it's easy to reach and not prone to interference from arms or wrists.

The display quality was good overall. Colors were in the ballpark, though not completely accurate. The viewing angle of the display is middling, so you might have to adjust the position for optimal viewability for one user and even more so for multiple viewers.

Useful features and attributes on this model include: You can connect common external devices such as hard drives and Blu-ray burners to the USB 3.0 port for maximum performance. An HDMI port is provided for connecting this laptop to an HDTV.

Downsides: There's no optical drive like a CD or DVD reader, so you'll have to buy an external drive if you need one. There are no ExpressCard slots for adding Wi-Fi or TV tuners.

got a 52/100, which was the lowest rating of all laptops tested.

Why is this thread marked "expired" when it's still available in-store ?

Logician1313 said:   Just picked one up in-store, thanks OP. Removing some of the bloatware now.
Do you simply wipe out the HD and reinstall or remove just those bloats you dont need?

beerman1976 said:   consumer reports review
>>Performance on this laptop was only fair. There are better choices.

Are they comparing with laptops that cost $300?

RaoMonger said:   Logician1313 said:   Just picked one up in-store, thanks OP. Removing some of the bloatware now.
Do you simply wipe out the HD and reinstall or remove just those bloats you dont need?

I was considering just wiping what was there, but there is so much I think I will just clean wipe it. I will probably throw a copy of Win 7 on it as well using the built in Win 8 dual booter.

EDIT: Opening it up now to see how easy a RAM and SSD upgrade will be.

Reserved 1 for instore pickup. Thanks OP.

Scored one at the store. Not a bad deal especially I had $40 in rewards to boot bringing my total to about $280'ish OTD after rebate.

Quality is overall good. This is probably the best quality notebook I've seen in this price range ($300!) especially in a 14" and i3 cpu. To give you a comparison, I bought Gateway deal ($289 OTD) a few weeks ago at Target and I like this a lot more mainly because it's much smaller and and has an i3 vs. B960 on the Gateway. The Gateway is going back!

Others have reported not liking the touchpad. For me, I felt it wasn't the best but it's usable. My complaint was actually the buttons which is too hard (IMO). Keyboard is very good and has a good tactile response. I guess you can't have it all and it's all about price.

I had the same thought. For $450, I probably wouldn't consider this laptop. For the $300, this is hot IMO.

RaoMonger said:   beerman1976 said:   consumer reports review
>>Performance on this laptop was only fair. There are better choices.

Are they comparing with laptops that cost $300?

Added to quick summary: Instruction on how to open to add RAM and SSD.

BTW.... mine came with 4GB DDR3 PC3 12800 (1 DIMM), so I will only need to buy 1 x 4GB stick to max it out.

Logician1313 said:   I was considering just wiping what was there, but there is so much I think I will just clean wipe it. I will probably throw a copy of Win 7 on it as well using the built in Win 8 dual booter.

EDIT: Opening it up now to see how easy a RAM and SSD upgrade will be.

lordoffire said:   it is a good price, but FYI you can no longer downgrade HPs

good luck with that

yesidonoitall said:   Are the W8 haters the same people as the celeron haters?

Are the hate baiters the same as the plain ol' run of the mill baiters? If you don't like something someone else likes you're a hater & subject to the thought police. uh.. okaaayy.

lordoffire said:   *need price in the title

it is a good price, but FYI you can no longer downgrade HPs

What does that mean? There are Win7 drivers on the HP web site.

Now, does anyone know if all the drivers are available for WinXP? HP doesn't provide them, but the components seem pretty standard.

For those who opened it up already - can you provide SODIMM timing info?

Skipping 55 Messages...
FYI for all who bought it:
I added 4GB RAM (for the total of 8) and mSATA 256GB SSD. This is thing flies now!. Part # is anyone interested:
Crucial CT3673042 for the RAM
Crucial CT256M4SSD3 for SSD.
it's a pain to access RAM/mSATA slots Also word of caution - BIOS update failed on mine with mSATA drive installed. I had to remove it to get through the process. But it's all good now.
with mSATA SSD WinIndex for disk access is 8.1!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014