• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
RaoMonger said:   beerman1976 said:   consumer reports review
>>Performance on this laptop was only fair. There are better choices.

Are they comparing with laptops that cost $300?

I agree completely. My issue with laptop reviews is that the rating changes dramatically based on price point.

edavid said:   
What does that mean? There are Win7 drivers on the HP web site.

Now, does anyone know if all the drivers are available for WinXP? HP doesn't provide them, but the components seem pretty standard.

Downgrade rights means that the Windows 8 license would allow you to install Win 7 for free (or nearly so). It's common in enterprise environments which are not using the newest version of Windows. Of course, many would consider a change from Win 8 to Win 7 to be an upgrade .

If you really need to run Win XP on a new computer why not virtualize it instead? XP runs great on 1GB of RAM in in VirtualBox and you don't have to worry about driver availability.

narkotsky said:   For those who opened it up already - can you provide SODIMM timing info?

Logician1313 said:   Added to quick summary: Instruction on how to open to add RAM and SSD.

BTW.... mine came with 4GB DDR3 PC3 12800 (1 DIMM), so I will only need to buy 1 x 4GB stick to max it out.

It was not an easy feat opening up this sleekbook (not for the weary). The RAM is located at the bottom so you have to remove the keyboard, case and motherboard to access it. Be very gentle on the plastic tabs.

ChrissyBits said:   
I agree completely. My issue with laptop reviews is that the rating changes dramatically based on price point.

Normally I don't have a problem with it. If I'm in the market for a $300 laptop I want to see how it compares to other laptops in its price range. I could care less how it stacks up against a $1,200 laptop. It does, however, make it difficult to compare a deeply discounted machine to others in it's discounted price range.

Any ratings scale that would be granular enough to incorporate $250 netbooks and Alienwares or Macbook Pros costing thousands would probably be too unwieldy to be useful.

edavid said:   lordoffire said:   *need price in the title

it is a good price, but FYI you can no longer downgrade HPs

That's interesting. HP has I believe gone on record stating that they don't "support" downgrading any of there consumer Win8 laptops to Win7. They must not consider this to be one of their consumer models.

VirtuaL said:   edavid said:   lordoffire said:   *need price in the title

it is a good price, but FYI you can no longer downgrade HPs

That's interesting. HP has I believe gone on record stating that they don't "support" downgrading any of there consumer Win8 laptops to Win7. They must not consider this to be one of their consumer models.

HP Clarifies Win 8 Consumer PC Downgrade & Warranties

I googled the model number and "ram" anhd got this...

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=172514CBA5C...

DDR3 PC3-12800

narkotsky said:   For those who opened it up already - can you provide SODIMM timing info?

edavid said:   What does that mean? There are Win7 drivers on the HP web site.

Now, does anyone know if all the drivers are available for WinXP? HP doesn't provide them, but the components seem pretty standard.

it seems for this one, yes...but as of last month or so, the new win8 computers aren't going to have win7 drivers released

PhilGil said:   Downgrade rights means that the Windows 8 license would allow you to install Win 7 for free (or nearly so).
no, it means if they have released compatible drivers

Logician1313 said:   VirtuaL said:   That's interesting. HP has I believe gone on record stating that they don't "support" downgrading any of there consumer Win8 laptops to Win7. They must not consider this to be one of their consumer models.

HP Clarifies Win 8 Consumer PC Downgrade & Warranties

However, HP has not tested all Windows 8 platforms for Windows 7 and we may not have your particular drivers available.

So, should I take back that $299 Dell Celeron 16" I got at BestBuy earlier this week and pick up this one instead?
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1244688/

pagliacci said:   So, should I take back that $299 Dell Celeron 16" I got at BestBuy earlier this week and pick up this one instead?
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1244688/

If you can find one and if you can get by with no optical DRIVE.

Scored one

for those that own this laptop, what's the round indented circle on the top left of touchpad for?

Logician1313 said:   narkotsky said:   For those who opened it up already - can you provide SODIMM timing info?

Logician1313 said:   Added to quick summary: Instruction on how to open to add RAM and SSD.

BTW.... mine came with 4GB DDR3 PC3 12800 (1 DIMM), so I will only need to buy 1 x 4GB stick to max it out.

It was not an easy feat opening up this sleekbook (not for the weary). The RAM is located at the bottom so you have to remove the keyboard, case and motherboard to access it. Be very gentle on the plastic tabs.

Was kind of looking for something like 7-7-7-24 timing inf

optical said:   for those that own this laptop, what's the round indented circle on the top left of touchpad for?

Turning the touchpad on or off.

How does this compare to the 15" HP at bb for 379 w 6 gb ram and DVD drive

narkotsky said:   Logician1313 said:   narkotsky said:   For those who opened it up already - can you provide SODIMM timing info?

So, is that the REAL timing info????

CueballSi said:   narkotsky said:   Logician1313 said:   narkotsky said:   For those who opened it up already - can you provide SODIMM timing info?

So, is that the REAL timing info????

Here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings

Basically you don't generally want to add SODIMM with different CAS timing into your laptop even if they both rated PC12800. You really want to match CAS latency across all mem modules. You don't have to but you really should.

dukerau said:   Anyone have experience returning a computer to Staples? I'm tempted by this but worried about the touchpad based on reviews. If I try it out and hate it and want to return (within 14 days), are there any restocking fees? I read the return policy but it's vague..."must be in sellable condition"...

I have returned two computers recently but neither had been opened. Based upon the general demeanor of the employees, I don't think they would have given me a problem even had they been opened.

i've been following this thread for days now, and snagged one before they are OOS in stores. Now i have until the 12th to scrutinize the purchase on a daily basis in hopes of finding a better deal.

I'm giving it to my wife for Xmas, though. As a basic couch web surfer i think this should be just about all she needs.

PS i asked the same question about the returns and they said the same thing about "sellable" condition.

Is 1.5 GHz all that good?

BillyJoel said:   Is 1.5 GHz all that good?
oh dear...

facepalm

BillyJoel said:   How does it compare with this machine?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+...

that has a better processor, slightly less Cache, possibly better battery, only 2 USB...same everything else except it's not a touchscreen

woah, just check and the one that was at target last week had a benchmark 56% higher

Thanks OP, picked one up in stare and shut the sales rep up real quick about warranties by telling him I found the deal on FatWallet.com

BillyJoel said:   Is 1.5 GHz all that good?

For most, but not for Einstein?

Do not count this deal as over just yet.
My Staples got 3 in ysterday....
And as some have reported the expired coupons are cheerfully accepted 2 days after expiration.

Why is it so damn difficult for a pc laptop to have a decent touchpad and buttons? This is the most basic part and I have looked at so many from all price ranges including this one and they all suck. Given this is an HP, I expected to be better but it's not.

optical said:   Why is it so damn difficult for a pc laptop to have a decent touchpad and buttons? This is the most basic part and I have looked at so many from all price ranges including this one and they all suck. Given this is an HP, I expected to be better but it's not.

Use the external of your choice

Come on, that can't be acceptable. I use the laptop in bed a lot so that won't work. Besides, why do you want stuff hanging off especially with a laptop this size?

My gripe is just the sorry ass quality of such a basic function.

yesidonoitall said:   optical said:   Why is it so damn difficult for a pc laptop to have a decent touchpad and buttons? This is the most basic part and I have looked at so many from all price ranges including this one and they all suck. Given this is an HP, I expected to be better but it's not.

Use the external of your choice

PhilGil said:   edavid said:   

Downgrade rights means that the Windows 8 license would allow you to install Win 7 for free (or nearly so). It's common in enterprise environments which are not using the newest version of Windows. Of course, many would consider a change from Win 8 to Win 7 to be an upgrade .

If you really need to run Win XP on a new computer why not virtualize it instead? XP runs great on 1GB of RAM in in VirtualBox and you don't have to worry about driver availability.

I don't really need to run it, I just find Windows 7 too irritating to tolerate

optical said:   Why is it so damn difficult for a pc laptop to have a decent touchpad and buttons? This is the most basic part and I have looked at so many from all price ranges including this one and they all suck. Given this is an HP, I expected to be better but it's not.

I have Thinkpad, Acer, Dell and HP.

Touchpad on Thinkpad is always the best and HP in general is the worst.

Not sure why but I find touchpads on older HP are much better than those from last few years.

Yes, you're right on and even the current idealpads suck and it's not about price either. Seems like everyone used the same junk on all these laptops. It's times like this I think about buying a mac air and be done with it. It shouldn't be that hard to find a laptop with a that doesn't kill my thumbs!

thsze said:   optical said:   Why is it so damn difficult for a pc laptop to have a decent touchpad and buttons? This is the most basic part and I have looked at so many from all price ranges including this one and they all suck. Given this is an HP, I expected to be better but it's not.

I have Thinkpad, Acer, Dell and HP.

Touchpad on Thinkpad is always the best and HP in generally is the worst.

Not sure why but I find touchpads on older HP are much better than those from last few years.

just bought this one from Staples for 364$ including tax and before applying for the 50$ rebate. better than my Acer that I bought at Target in August for 350$

Is this HP really better than Dell?

lepa71 said:   Is this HP really better than Dell?

Which Dell?

Just picked up from Staples in WA, happy with the build quality and speed of device. If you can live without optical drive, this is a very good deal.
Windows 8 was frustrating to use, classic shell made things a little better

Tried to submit the Easy Rebate and got this message:

We haven't received your transaction data from the store yet. Please come back in a few hours. Remember, we'll need the serial number from your product at that time.

If you'd like to submit another rebate from this order, click the "Submit Rebate" button below.

How long does it usually take for the "transaction data" to show up? I was able to submit 2 other Easy Rebates from purchases yesterday (although they were on different receipts).

swandown said:   Tried to submit the Easy Rebate and got this message:

We haven't received your transaction data from the store yet. Please come back in a few hours. Remember, we'll need the serial number from your product at that time.

If you'd like to submit another rebate from this order, click the "Submit Rebate" button below.

How long does it usually take for the "transaction data" to show up? I was able to submit 2 other Easy Rebates from purchases yesterday (although they were on different receipts).

Though
it is usually instantaneous.
That message is not uncommon.
Try it later today.
I once had it take 4 days....

Celeron from Bestbuy as bundle.here
yesidonoitall said:   lepa71 said:   Is this HP really better than Dell?

Which Dell?

The price on the site appears to have increased to $478.99, the coupon code won't apply and it won't ship to my area

how do I apply this deal in store for the previously posted price and/or with the $100 off coupon? Can I print the coupon from somewhere?

lanation said:   The price on the site appears to have increased to $478.99, the coupon code won't apply and it won't ship to my area

how do I apply this deal in store for the previously posted price and/or with the $100 off coupon? Can I print the coupon from somewhere?

Print this coupon or just ask the store clerk to enter coupon code 35310. The coupon expired on the 22nd but may still be working.

I doubt you'll be able to get them to drop the original price from $478, though.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.