• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Acer Celeron 1.1GHz 12" Chromebook for $200 + free shipping from TigerDirect

The link

Tiger Direct
See Tiger Direct discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Acer Celeron 1.1GHz 12" Chromebook
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Acer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$199 is list price on these, so not really a hot deal (although they're in short supply so many shops are selling over list). An economical little machine for a student. Supposedly you can also install Ubuntu on one if you want more functionality than Chrome offers.

PhilGil said:   Supposedly you can also install Ubuntu on one if you want more functionality than Chrome offers.

how about Windows?

vickh said:   PhilGil said:   Supposedly you can also install Ubuntu on one if you want more functionality than Chrome offers.

how about Windows?

Not that I'm aware of. Chromebooks use a special BIOS that supposedly prevents other operating systems from being installed. The Linux guys had an easier time unlocking the bootloader as Chrome is just a flavor of Linux.

Unlocking the bootloader for Windows may happen; this machine hasn't been on the market for long.

So basically a super crappy netbook without windows 8 license.

I might take my chances on a 17" $299 WalMart special with window 8 - throw a cheap ssd in it and rock out.

rigor said:   So basically a super crappy netbook without windows 8 license.

I might take my chances on a 17" $299 WalMart special with window 8 - throw a cheap ssd in it and rock out.

Yeah, because something that's $100 more expensive and twice the size is totally comparable.

Don't really get the Chromebook hate in this evening's threads. Admittedly, the earlier generation Chromebooks at $400 were a terrible value. But the new $200 and $250 models seem like good tablet alternatives for someone who prefers a laptop form factor, a larger display, and isn't ready to give up their keyboard for a touchscreen.

rigor said:   So basically a super crappy netbook without windows 8 license.

No.. It's a Chromebook. I would take ChromeOS over Win8 andy day. These are fantastic devices. Some people aren't ready for the paradigm shift of ChromeOS. I've been using a CR-48 for 2 years and I'm ready to upgrade to the next gen Chromebook. I really want the Samsung version it's sold out everywhere.

I think google would sell a lot more if they priced it @ $149 price pt.

OP, the product page says "Available for pre-order". These are not yet available now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014