12/18/12 5:51 PM
Acer Celeron 1.1GHz 12" Chromebook for $200 + free shipping from TigerDirect

The link
WikiPost
12/18/12 5:51 PM
Acer Celeron 1.1GHz 12" Chromebook [ image/jpeg - 23.45kB ]
PhilGil
12/18/12 6:30 PM
$199 is list price on these, so not really a hot deal (although they're in short supply so many shops are selling over list). An economical little machine for a student. Supposedly you can also install Ubuntu on one if you want more functionality than Chrome offers.
vickh
12/18/12 7:56 PM
PhilGil said:   

Supposedly you can also install Ubuntu on one if you want more functionality than Chrome offers.

how about Windows?
PhilGil
12/18/12 9:02 PM
vickh said:   

PhilGil said:   

Supposedly you can also install Ubuntu on one if you want more functionality than Chrome offers.

how about Windows?

Not that I'm aware of. Chromebooks use a special BIOS that supposedly prevents other operating systems from being installed. The Linux guys had an easier time unlocking the bootloader as Chrome is just a flavor of Linux.

Unlocking the bootloader for Windows may happen; this machine hasn't been on the market for long.
rigor
12/18/12 9:23 PM
So basically a super crappy netbook without windows 8 license.

I might take my chances on a 17" $299 WalMart special with window 8 - throw a cheap ssd in it and rock out.
PhilGil
12/18/12 9:38 PM
rigor said:   

I might take my chances on a 17" $299 WalMart special with window 8 - throw a cheap ssd in it and rock out.

Yeah, because something that's $100 more expensive and twice the size is totally comparable.

Don't really get the Chromebook hate in this evening's threads. Admittedly, the earlier generation Chromebooks at $400 were a terrible value. But the new $200 and $250 models seem like good tablet alternatives for someone who prefers a laptop form factor, a larger display, and isn't ready to give up their keyboard for a touchscreen.
zoid99
12/18/12 9:40 PM
rigor said:   

No.. It's a Chromebook. I would take ChromeOS over Win8 andy day. These are fantastic devices. Some people aren't ready for the paradigm shift of ChromeOS. I've been using a CR-48 for 2 years and I'm ready to upgrade to the next gen Chromebook. I really want the Samsung version it's sold out everywhere.
vickh
12/18/12 10:51 PM
I think google would sell a lot more if they priced it @ $149 price pt.
VirtuaL
12/19/12 7:36 AM
OP, the product page says "Available for pre-order". These are not yet available now.
First page
Last page
1 of 1
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.