• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pentax-digital-camera?utm_campai...

The Deal

$299 for a Pentax K-01 lens kit with DA 40mm XS ($899.95 list price)
Available colors: black, white, and yellow
Free shipping and free returns

Best price I've seen on the k-01 with lens, previously the $316 price at Amazon was the lowest I'd seen.

Groupon
See Groupon coupons that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Pentax K-01 (74.02kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Nice.. been waiting for the right price on this.. thanks op

I will note...Groupon GOODS TAKE FOREVER TO SHIP. But this price is worth the wait.

Darn. I placed an order for it just a couple of days ago for $100 more! I haven't even received it yet.

P.S.: Looks like they sold out of black already. I placed an order for the white one.

Awesome camera; focus peaking is the bomb. Uses the K5's sensor which is regarded as one of the highest image quality prosumer DSLR's. The previous Amazom low price of $316 was only for the yellow color AFAIK so it's nice that Groupn has (or had) all 3 colors.

Remember to update the firmware which significantly improves autofocus speed.

I got the yellow Amazon deal - it reminds me of taking pictures with a giant yellow LEGO, so it's kinda awesome.

Thanks OP. I almost ordered one from Adoroma yesterday for $416 which I thought was the best deal. This one is even better for $299 although I have to pay tax. The lens alone at least worth half of the total price. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a white one since the black one was sold out. Now I can use it with my white ceramic watch on.

Only yellow left.

Wow, it's about time a DSLR manufacturer targeted the affluent hipster market! This is a worthwhile upgrade from instagram or your Holga.

SOLD OUT Only had 240 to sell.

waited too long to decide - gone

Thanks OP. Was able to grab a yellow one. Being a Steelers fan, this works out well.

Wow... Groupon may just make a liar out of me... I have FedEx tracking info... (FedEx smart post...but shipping info just the same)

Not so fast. Just because they emailed you a tracking number doesn't mean that anything was shipped. It's a common practice to generate and email a tracking number ASAP and then pack and ship the item at a later date. Merchants use this trick to convey the impression that they ship things out quickly and delays are due to the carrier. It also gives them a reason to refuse cancellations. As a bonus, the impression that the carrier takes a long time to deliver the package makes it easy to sell expedited shipping (and plans like Amazon Prime, Shop Your Way Max, etc.).

Mine shows having arrived at the local FedEx location.. awaiting transfer to USPS.... moving right along. I hope everyone else has a decent ship time.

Received mine today and I am not happy at all. It is unable to autofocus: just makes a whirring, grinding sound but the lens does not move/adjust. Seems like the lens (or camera) is defective.

FutureDilemma said:   Received mine today and I am not happy at all. It is unable to autofocus: just makes a whirring, grinding sound but the lens does not move/adjust. Seems like the lens (or camera) is defective.Remove the lens and remount it. It sounds silly but it happens to a lot more people than you might expect.

peas said:   FutureDilemma said:   Received mine today and I am not happy at all. It is unable to autofocus: just makes a whirring, grinding sound but the lens does not move/adjust. Seems like the lens (or camera) is defective.Remove the lens and remount it. It sounds silly but it happens to a lot more people than you might expect.
It's good advice. I searched and found that it requires a fair amount of torque to firmly seat the lens. There is a white line on the lens that should rotate all the way to the top but the real indicator is a slight click at the end of the rotation. I was afraid of causing damage but when I twisted hard enough, I heard a click. Now the autofocus seems to be working correctly. It still makes quite a sound but apparently the motor in this lens is supposed to be noisy and that is normal.

I am still not able to take pictures however. The camera reports a "Memory card error" on my Wintec SDHC. I checked that the contacts are clean, then tried removing and reinstalling the card but no go. That card works fine in my Olympus cameras and my computer, so there's probably nothing wrong with it. On the other hand, it is rejected by another Pentax camera as well, and other forums indicate that Pentax cameras can be picky about which cards they accept. I am now waiting for a new SDHC card.

I got the new memory card today. It was accepted by the camera and I was able to take pictures. However, all the pictures came out garbled. A quick Google search showed that others have faced the same problem with some memory cards (http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/180596-possible-p...). Seems like the camera only works with fast memory cards. That would explain why it would not even accept the Wintec card, a much slower card. I was about to order a new card, but then on a hunch, I installed the firmware update to see if that made a difference. It made a big difference. It started working with the new card, and even with the Wintec card that it was previously rejecting outright. The autofocus is peppier too. So the firmware update is almost a requirement to using this camera. Be aware that to install the firmware update, you need a fast card to begin with.

But now that I could take pictures, I noticed that every picture had a small red spot in the lower right corner in the same place. More Google searching revealed that this is something called a hot pixel, and the fix is to use the pixel mapping function in the setup menu. Went ahead and did the pixel mapping and that seems to have taken care of it. Finally, everything seems to be working fine. I haven't had a chance to take any pictures outside but the few that I took indoors suggest that the picture quality is very good.

Did others have a smoother experience than me? Also, can anyone recommend a case for this camera? I would also like to get an on camera flash for it. I have budget of about $100. Here are some options that I came across:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605929-REG/Bower_SFD926P_S...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759262-REG/Metz_MZ_36357PS...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/698975-REG/Zeikos_ZE_AF585...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752629-REG/Polaroid_PL144_...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600864-REG/Vivitar_DF_383_...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741743-REG/Sigma_199109_EF...

Any reason to pick one of these over the others? Any others that I should be looking at?

man you went through alot. I've been using an old 1GB SD card with no problems. Maybe it's fast enough to satisfy the K-01 *shrug*

The only tip I have for flashes is to make sure it supports Pentax TTL ( though the lens) metering.
Edit: Before you invest in an external flash, read up on whether you really need it. Although the K-01 looks like a big P&S, it's really a DSLR in a different package. Its low-light capability is impressive but you need to at least learn about basic photography to get the most out of it. For example, indoor shooting with limited light, set it to Aperture Priority, the lens [near] wide open, and use manual focus with focus peaking on. Focus peaking really is the bomb, making manual focus much more usable IMHO compared to peering through a tiny viewfinder. Using manual focus eliminates focus hunting in lower light, something that affects all cameras to some extent.
An external flash is really only needed on this camera if you're trying to fill an entire room that has almost no light (e.g. a nightclub), or maybe if you want to reach out 50-100 ft in an unlit room. Short of that, learning how to best use the camera in indoor lighting will give you better results.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014