• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Not gonna discuss the merits of the actual product, but if you want/need a physical copy this is a pretty darn good deal. Don't forget FatCash! Also if you have Shoprunner you get free 2 day shipping otherwise it's just normal Newegg free shipping which is always pretty speedy anyway.

Last thing, this doesn't come with Windows Media Center but MS is giving it away via a free download until January 31st, after that it's gonna be $10. If you need it, get it before then.

Linky

Member Summary

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, Retail Package
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer

Windows 8
Thanks ItsJustDon
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thing is, the desktop part does add a few improvements over 7. However it seems like 95% of the people wrongly believe ... (more)

FunnyStuff (Dec. 23, 2012 @ 2:30p) |

thanks --- based on your post, I will stick with W7 and learn W8 next time I feel I need a new device

germanpope (Dec. 25, 2012 @ 11:28p) |

Apple is overjoyed with the appearance of W8

pietromoon (Dec. 25, 2012 @ 11:41p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The good:
Upgrade from Windows XP, Vista and 7

The bad:
Rebate is $40, which is greater than the final price and it comes as a rebate card (Metabank issued).
Offer expires Dec 23, 2012.

The ugly: It' s still Windows 8! (a.k.a Vista 2.0)

greling said:   The ugly: It' s still Windows 8! (a.k.a Vista 2.0)

For MS Windows it is a great deal. However, I did make the upgrade just recently on my Wife's laptop from Vista to Windows 8. Really just because Windows 8 was so cheap, I thought why not. You can hide some elements of Windows 8 Metro interface and use open source (free) software like Classic Shell to bring back the start menu to the desktop.

She was totally stable under Vista, but it Windows 8 Pro crashes all the time on her (explorer.exe while doing searches), and I had some really bizarre driver funkiness with it that I eventually figured out. So in her case, I just moved her from old crap to new crap, but I'm sure the stability will improve over time. You just can't get away from the Metro interface entirely, and I do have to say it is really hard working with it on a laptop.

Those systems I have on Windows 7 I am not going to give up until they plain don't update it anymore or make the interface for Windows 8 flow better for desktop and laptop users. I'm guessing the improvements will come in Windows 9, though.

The asking price for Windows 7 Pro Upgrade was $200 and even that for Vista Business Upgrade was $200. Now Microsoft is peddling Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for $30 and people are still not enthusiastic. How times have changed for Microsoft!

I found it very difficult to use Windows 8 "Metro UI" on a non-touch screen computer - it's a failure in concept for non-touch screen computers. Just press the Windows key and D at the same time to go to the "desktop".

I find it absurd that so many people compare Windows 8 to Vista. Anyone who has used both will tall you there are no similarities whatsoever. Vista was a bad OS plagued with UI and stability flaws. Windows 8 is actually two separate, completely unrelated OS's that are each completely horrible and totally unusable for any purpose, tablet or not. One OS is missing the ability to launch programs (start menu) and the other is missing the ability to run programs (e.g. notepad, regedit, or any installed software). The "Metro UI" is bad, but not terrible and the missing start menu is idiotic, but not unresolvable -- the critical and completely fatal flaw is that there are 2 very separate and completely dissimilar operating systems running in parallel at all times and there is no way to simply choose one and stick with it -- you absolutely must use both operating systems at all times and switch back and forth between them for every single task or program. Switching between the OS's is a violent and disjointed operation much like switching between OSX and Win7 or between Win7 and Linux in a VM window -- you cannot alt-tab between programs or see what's running in the other OS without switching over.

Also of note, for those thinking of upgrading a HTPC, the Metro UI will look nice on your TV but you have to switch to the other OS to run anything -- including WMC which has not been updated, fixed, or improved in any way, it's the exact same version from 5 years ago with the exception of the removed internet TV functionality.

So I should stay with Windows 3.1?

worms said:   I find it absurd that so many people compare Windows 8 to Vista. Anyone who has used both will tall you there are no similarities whatsoever. Vista was a bad OS plagued with UI and stability flaws. Windows 8 is actually two separate, completely unrelated OS's that are each completely horrible and totally unusable for any purpose, tablet or not. One OS is missing the ability to launch programs (start menu) and the other is missing the ability to run programs (e.g. notepad, regedit, or any installed software). The "Metro UI" is bad, but not terrible and the missing start menu is idiotic, but not unresolvable -- the critical and completely fatal flaw is that there are 2 very separate and completely dissimilar operating systems running in parallel at all times and there is no way to simply choose one and stick with it -- you absolutely must use both operating systems at all times and switch back and forth between them for every single task or program. Switching between the OS's is a violent and disjointed operation much like switching between OSX and Win7 or between Win7 and Linux in a VM window -- you cannot alt-tab between programs or see what's running in the other OS without switching over.

Also of note, for those thinking of upgrading a HTPC, the Metro UI will look nice on your TV but you have to switch to the other OS to run anything -- including WMC which has not been updated, fixed, or improved in any way, it's the exact same version from 5 years ago with the exception of the removed internet TV functionality.

+1 for what you are saying about Windows 8. However, don't disparage Windows Vista. It worked fine. I know because I used it on a laptop with modest hardware and it was well behaved and smooth. In fact, it was a better OS than Windows 7: it had stronger security and some extra features like a proper search form in Explorer. It was criticized because it had DRM related code that used up system resources and favored content owners over computer owners. However, all of that code is included in Windows 7 and Windows 7 is well accepted.

brightonuk said:   So I should stay with Windows 3.1?
LOL

In a different post there was discussion of This Update giving you access to any prev Windows Product. I probably don't want to go back to Win 3.1 (I already have this on Floppys) but would be interested in Win 7 if Win 8 is as bad as some make it out to be. What is the process to obtain prev OS for free?

thrunner said:   The good:
Upgrade from Windows XP, Vista and 7

The bad:
Rebate is $40, which is greater than the final price and it comes as a rebate card (Metabank issued).
Offer expires Dec 23, 2012.

What is the perceived issue with the card.

The rebate states that it is limit one rebate card per qualifying purchase per unique product. It sounds like those who got in on the previous offer in December 15th shouldn't get this?

worms said:   Also of note, for those thinking of upgrading a HTPC, the Metro UI will look nice on your TV but you have to switch to the other OS to run anything -- including WMC...???

WMC launches directly from a Metro interface tile, no need to switch to the desktop to start.

brightonuk said:   So I should stay with Windows 3.1?

I have yet to upgrade from DOS 6.22

expired said:   The rebate states that it is limit one rebate card per qualifying purchase per unique product. It sounds like those who got in on the previous offer in December 15th shouldn't get this?

All disclaimers would refer to the purchase date on a particular rebate form.
Newegg has 3 now for the $40.00

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/windows8/microsoft-windows-8...

Windows 8: Death by a Thousand Cuts?

"...the growing perception (is) that this new OS is a poorly conceived disaster."

The next question is: Can Microsoft can put aside their legendary arrogance, admit they made a mistake and actually fix the product. I'm betting not.

yesidontnoitall, Have you done more than one and had them approved? I'm concerned it may be one those McAfee type deals., but would like on for my HTPC too. The"unique" text especially worries me.

"the missing start menu is idiotic, but not unresolvable "

the missing start menu isn't missing, right click on the start menu, click on All Apps on the lower right hand corner. Its got everything installed on the computer with the ability to bring icons to the main start menu.

Instead of thinking of it as 2 operating systems think of it starting with an open start menu that disappears as soon as you start something but is easily brought back by clicking in the same location as the old start button

How many of you have googled to find out how to shutdown Windows 8?

expired said:   yesidontnoitall, Have you done more than one and had them approved? I'm concerned it may be one those McAfee type deals., but would like on for my HTPC too. The"unique" text especially worries me.

No.
I just got the item today from I guess the 2nd offer.
And shortly the current....
I will find out, however the working (dates)indicate 2 entirely different offers.
I am not familiar with the McAfee deal.

Microsoft is offering this discount for "early adopters", you can pay your $30 now or $100+ later.

Especially good for XP, their Windows Updates stops on April 8, 2014.

I use Windows 8 (and XP) in a virtual machine on occasion - it took a little while to get use to it but not so bad.

I have win7 on my main system and put Win8 on my HTPC.

Win8 works just fine, but it requires you to learn the new interface. So if you are old in your ways stick to win7. Win8 works just fine and is 100% stable on my AMD X4 system with Blu-ray, Tuner card, and GT640 video card all working fine.

Both systems are 64bit.

In for one. Great deal. Have been using Win 8 w/o issues on primary computer.

FutureDilemma said:   The asking price for Windows 7 Pro Upgrade was $200 and even that for Vista Business Upgrade was $200. Now Microsoft is peddling Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for $30 and people are still not enthusiastic. How times have changed for Microsoft!

It's because 7 has been refined into a good stable product with strong device and driver support. People want their conventional laptops and desktops to work with minimal fuss. And there are many of us out there with years vested in learning the workings of Windows 7 which date back to how Win 95. You can't expect people to happily lose 15 years of experience with an OS framework (even if it is just buried a little deeper in 8) in exchange for a touchscreen interface on machines without touchscreens.

I still say MS made a huge mistake not introducing this as a Tablet OS, calling it Windows Tablet or whatever. Then if they wanted to milk the cow for $30 they could have released Win 7 ultimate upgrades for $30 a pop.

Instead we are all getting forced into Win 8 on new machines. Going to be a lot of people looking into downgrade rights.

Thing is, the desktop part does add a few improvements over 7. However it seems like 95% of the people wrongly believe that Metro nothing more than a touch UI placed over Windows 7, so they dismiss it. Microsoft is actually trying to integrate 2 operating environments into 1. So that is why people use alternative start menus: to stay mostly inside the desktop portion. What is strange is that a few people are so fanatic that they freak out if they see anything Metro. I think they are afraid of catching cooties or something. For the average desktop user though, using an alternative start menu will mean a zero learning curve.

Marlin1975 said:   I have win7 on my main system and put Win8 on my HTPC.

Win8 works just fine, but it requires you to learn the new interface. So if you are old in your ways stick to win7. Win8 works just fine and is 100% stable on my AMD X4 system with Blu-ray, Tuner card, and GT640 video card all working fine.

Both systems are 64bit.

thanks --- based on your post, I will stick with W7 and learn W8 next time I feel I need a new device

Apple is overjoyed with the appearance of W8

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014