• Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
MISTERCHEAP said:   FrugalFreak said:   Anyone confirm this can be used with $5 off $25 coupon on register tape to be used on a Sat at Dollar General?

yes, but your total spend AFTER COUPONS must still be $30+ to use this offer. the Paypal offer has nothing to do with coupons used on the order, you just have to hit the required spend on one order (in this case, $30)

So I have to spend $35 including tax. Use $5 off $25 coupon. Down to $30, and then $10 paypal credit offer. $20 for $35 of goods?

1) Is the $5 off $25 can be used on gift card?

2) So when I check out, I choose paypal option, then paypal will deduct $20 from my preferred payment? How do I know I will get $10 credit?

I am new to this offer.

Thanks OP, just got it saved to my Paypal account, Already had a good CC and bank account tied to my paypal. Picking up my GC on my way home. Thanks!

I have both HD and DG loaded on my account, can I use at both places and do you know if HD has Amazon Gift Card?

CheaporBust said:   Problem with this is that the store has to accept Paypal as a payment method, and none of the ones near me doDid you try it? When I checked out, Paypal came up as a payment option on the credit card terminal as soon as the first item was scanned. I would not trust store employees to give you accurate information.

DirtCheap said:   I have both HD and DG loaded on my account, can I use at both places and do you know if HD has Amazon Gift Card?You should be able to, and YMMV on whether your HD carries non-HD cards. My store did not. Others have reported that their stores do but that others do not.

SilverII said:   uwaybie said:   My DG only carries $25 Amazon GC. I asked the cashier if he can make it a $30 value card and he said no. How did you guys purchase a $30 GC?buy 2 or add $5 in other stuff. It's not that difficult

My DG has "loadable, variable amount (5 to 500) DG specific GCs). Went in yesterday, bought a card (loaded it with $30), told the girl I was paying by paypal, she said "cool, my first time"... everything went perfectly, and when I got home, had an email saying I bought $30 at DG, but only $20 was transferred and a $10 Offer was applied.

I wasn't gonna sign the better half up for this "in store payment" thing, but now I guess I have to...I can trade her the DG deals for The Home Depot deals she buys for me!

dimsumkid said:   What a nightmare at Dollar General. Card was declined 3 times when checking out. Called Paypal support phone# on the card and they're pretty clueless about their own processes, they don't know what the paypal "pay in store" option is. Had to call Paypal 4 times (30 mins) to get to the right dept, got hung up on, the wrong dept 3 times (mobile dept 2x & cash card dept) and finally the pay in store dept. No record of any declines on my card, they tried to blame Dollar General for no connection and suggested I buy w/another credit card and fax/email my receipt so I can get my $10 paypal credit. I can't believe there was a connectivity problem since the cc processed w/o a problem. Went to Home Depot and did 2 transactions w/o a hitch. They really need to have better the correct customer support people manning that phone number on the back of the card when you call until they get the kinks out.

Just thought I'd update, Paypal came through and gave me the $10 credit last night due to the connectivity issues while I was trying to checkout. The coupon is still in my account, I wonder if I should try to redeem it again.

Crap! HD is now dead! Tried using paypal link and it now says..

"This offer has expired or all available offers have been claimed. Stay tuned for more and act fast as these great
offers don't last long!"

Heck was working 5 minutes ago...wth.

I set everything up on the 21st. Just tried it at DG and the payment method was declined. Do I have to have the credit card as the first method of payment. I have my checking account first and card second. Nothing in the setup process says there is a preference.

The money comes from the same place because the card is my debit card for the checking account. The only difference is that with the checking account first you can use paypal for payment without actually having any money in the checking account.

Loaded HD and DG coupons to my account on 12/21.

Bought $30 at HD on 12/24 ... was charged $20 by Paypal.
Bought $30.03 at DG on 12/28 ... was charged $30.03 by Paypal.

Looks like I got caught in the DG / Paypal "glitch" web.

dimsumkid said:   dimsumkid said:   What a nightmare at Dollar General. Card was declined 3 times when checking out. Called Paypal support phone# on the card and they're pretty clueless about their own processes, they don't know what the paypal "pay in store" option is. Had to call Paypal 4 times (30 mins) to get to the right dept, got hung up on, the wrong dept 3 times (mobile dept 2x & cash card dept) and finally the pay in store dept. No record of any declines on my card, they tried to blame Dollar General for no connection and suggested I buy w/another credit card and fax/email my receipt so I can get my $10 paypal credit. I can't believe there was a connectivity problem since the cc processed w/o a problem. Went to Home Depot and did 2 transactions w/o a hitch. They really need to have better the correct customer support people manning that phone number on the back of the card when you call until they get the kinks out.

Just thought I'd update, Paypal came through and gave me the $10 credit last night due to the connectivity issues while I was trying to checkout. The coupon is still in my account, I wonder if I should try to redeem it again.

It will probably work. The HD one did for me after the CSR didn't cancel it.

jimates said:   I set everything up on the 21st. Just tried it at DG and the payment method was declined. Do I have to have the credit card as the first method of payment. I have my checking account first and card second. Nothing in the setup process says there is a preference.

The money comes from the same place because the card is my debit card for the checking account. The only difference is that with the checking account first you can use paypal for payment without actually having any money in the checking account.

The credit card is instant funds and the checking account is delayed. Existing funds would also be instant. Switch to cc and it will go through as long as it is approved based on bank balance.

"The only difference is that with the checking account first you can use paypal for payment without actually having any money in the checking account." EXACTLY That's why you cannot take something instantly from the store. If you pay for an eBay transaction via checking, the seller will wait for cleared funds before shipping your item.

jimates said:   I set everything up on the 21st. Just tried it at DG and the payment method was declined. Do I have to have the credit card as the first method of payment. I have my checking account first and card second. Nothing in the setup process says there is a preference.

DG worked like a charm today, along with the extra $5 discount they are running today only. You just need to put in the phone number of your cell phone and the pin. You probably should go back into your PayPal account and change the pin to something that is easy to remember.

You can also set whether you want the money to come out of your checking account or charged to your credit card. Any PP balance is always used first.

MitchFlorida said:   DG worked like a charm today, along with the extra $5 discount they are running today only. Did the $5 off $25 work on GCs?

MitchFlorida said:   jimates said:   I set everything up on the 21st. Just tried it at DG and the payment method was declined. Do I have to have the credit card as the first method of payment. I have my checking account first and card second. Nothing in the setup process says there is a preference.

DG worked like a charm today, along with the extra $5 discount they are running today only. You just need to put in the phone number of your cell phone and the pin. You probably should go back into your PayPal account and change the pin to something that is easy to remember.

You can also set whether you want the money to come out of your checking account or charged to your credit card. Any PP balance is always used first.

How do we use the extra $5 discount?

I had never been to a Dollar General store before , it was huge. I bought $40 of their bargain merchandise instead. It's a bargain compared to supermarket prices anyway.

A gift card purchase will help you with the Pay Pal offer, but is not counted for the $5 Dollar General credit.

They had Amazon and Shell Oil gift cards at no extra fee.

MitchFlorida said:   I had never been to a Dollar General store before , it was huge. I took a Shell prepaid card in case I needed it to put me over the $30 PP threshold, but I didn't need it. I bought $40 of their bargain merchandise instead

The gift card purchase will help you with the Pay Pal offer, but is not counted for the $5 Dollar General credit.

DG is an interesting place. Sort of a hybrid between Dollar Tree & Big Lots IMO. Lots of selection/decent prices, but rather junky and run down looking inside. But if the price is right, tolerable to go to for some cheap stuff after coupons on occassion.

I saw the flyer in Sundays paper for DG. There was a mention of buying $30 in select P&G merchandise and getting a $10 coupon. I don't know all the details but this can potentially bring your $30 purchase down to about $10 once you get and redeem your coupon.

jeffc said:   How do we use the extra $5 discount?Thread for $5/$25 coupon

Dead for Home Depot

yes, the offers can be combined, I did it today. The 5.00 is a store coupon, the 10.00 is an automatic paypal coupon.

MitchFlorida said:   I had never been to a Dollar General store before , it was huge. I bought $40 of their bargain merchandise instead. It's a bargain compared to supermarket prices anyway.

A gift card purchase will help you with the Pay Pal offer, but is not counted for the $5 Dollar General credit.

They had Amazon and Shell Oil gift cards at no extra fee.

I went to two Dollar General stores in the past week and both could not get their cash registers to validate an Amazon gift card. They swiped and swiped and mentioned this frequently happens with gift cards. I then grabbed Amazon Kindle gift cards. Those worked because they do not get validated via the magnetic stripe reader on the cash registers. They simply scan the bar code to sell those. In case you don't know, they are treated the same as an Amazon gift card - you do not have to spend them on a Kindle or Kindle accessories.

I also had trouble paying with PayPal - kept getting a message about an invalid PIN on the clerk's register screen (not on the customer's screen). The clerk said they've had others with the problem and handed me a card with helpful information from PayPal. I called but all they could tell me was to reset my pay-in-store PIN online. I did that and finally the payment went through.

The payment was deducted directly from my associated checking account. I've been looking, but have not yet found a way to make a credit card the default. I'd like to have a credit card as the default for PayPal pay-in-store because Dollar General sells Vanilla reload cards.

I did review the transaction on my PayPal account and the $10 bonus was properly applied.

there is an option there somewhere to make the credit card the default payment method.

bippie said:   The payment was deducted directly from my associated checking account. I've been looking, but have not yet found a way to make a credit card the default. I'd like to have a credit card as the default for PayPal pay-in-store because Dollar General sells Vanilla reload cards.

dimsumkid said:   Go to paypal, settings, payment preferences, in store checkout, payment methods.

I wish I could get the confirmation code from Paypal.. texting is fine with my phone, but Paypal's msg never gets through. (Sprint) -- same if I try my google voice #.

MitchFlorida said:   jimates said:   I set everything up on the 21st. Just tried it at DG and the payment method was declined. Do I have to have the credit card as the first method of payment. I have my checking account first and card second. Nothing in the setup process says there is a preference.

the phone number and pin was entered correctly, the problem lies elsewhere.

pprogram said:   jimates said:   I set everything up on the 21st. Just tried it at DG and the payment method was declined. Do I have to have the credit card as the first method of payment. I have my checking account first and card second. Nothing in the setup process says there is a preference.

The credit card is instant funds and the checking account is delayed. Existing funds would also be instant. Switch to cc and it will go through as long as it is approved based on bank balance.

"The only difference is that with the checking account first you can use paypal for payment without actually having any money in the checking account." EXACTLY That's why you cannot take something instantly from the store. If you pay for an eBay transaction via checking, the seller will wait for cleared funds before shipping your item.
I switched to CC for first method and will try again today.

As far as eBay, having my checking account as first payment does not delay payment to the seller. Payment by echeck does have to clear the bank but with a credit card also on the account as backup, payment from the checking account is considered an instant payment.

On my business account I have a checking account as first form of payment. And I use my PayPal debit card as payment for everything elsewhere. Every transaction comes out of my checking account and I get the CashBack for using my paypal card.

I have Sprint, actual Sprint, not a user of the Sprint network like Republic (some sort of problem with short numbers) and I get the text messages. I know the texts do not go through on Google Voice.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Loaded HD and DG coupons to my account on 12/21.

Bought $30 at HD on 12/24 ... was charged $20 by Paypal.
Bought $30.03 at DG on 12/28 ... was charged $30.03 by Paypal.

Looks like I got caught in the DG / Paypal "glitch" web.
Called Paypal today and they credited my account $10 for the DG issue.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.