• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Thanks. Did this yesterday.

In my store, GCs in 2 different locations. 1st set, near front of store on an end cap..very visible but no Amazon cards there.

The second set was located where the greeting cards were..very hidden. Had to ask the clerk where the Amazon cards were and he told me intermingled with the greeting cards. Never would have found those Amazon cards on my own...never!

Had success doing the Paypal $10 back from Home Depot last night.

Went to the Dollar General today for the first time ever. Located the gift cards on an endcap near the register. Grabbed two $25 ones. The associate refused to ring up both on the same transaction. She said it was corporate policy and that no other stores do it - manager came over and confirmed also. I let him know that people were successfully buying two without problems in other stores but he didn't want to hear it. I the Christmas spirit I found some candy canes to get me over the $30 mark. After the transaction they tried to tell me my card declined - there is a line behind me at this point. I showed them the text from my phone where the paypal confirmation was sent immediately so my charge was not declined. I could see the register screen that clearly showed the gift card activation declined. The manager returned the gift card - and refunded me $25. Strange start to my day....

Got two $25 Amazon cards, no problems. Thanks op!

no luck here...

bought $25 Amazon card and $5 Dollar General gift card for a total of $30.
Did not get $10 discount.

stuffedwallet said:   no luck here...

you don't get it at the register, you get it from your paypal account. Doesn't sound like you understand this program.

I tried 3 different DG stores in North Dallas area, but for some reason they're having technical issues. They cant validate any of their gift cards so I can't purchase any at all from them.

shelyn said:   I tried 3 different DG stores in North Dallas area, but for some reason they're having technical issues. They cant validate any of their gift cards so I can't purchase any at all from them.

Sounds like the same issue the store I went to was having. I'm north of Atlanta.

MISTERCHEAP said:   stuffedwallet said:   no luck here...

you don't get it at the register, you get it from your paypal account. Doesn't sound like you understand this program.

MC, I actually was referring about PP. I have already done this for Home Depot and immediately upon the purchases at HD I got text messages from PP indicating lower amounts being charged to my PP account. But with DG, I got message (and also email later) indicating $30 and not $20 as total purchase.

stuffedwallet said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   stuffedwallet said:   no luck here...

MC, I actually was referring about PP. I have already done this for Home Depot and immediately upon the purchases at HD I got text messages from PP indicating lower amounts being charged to my PP account. But with DG, I got message (and also email later) indicating $30 and not $20 as total purchase.

sw,

did you show the DG offer "active" in your pp account prior to going to DG? if it was active I know of no reason it would not have worked. registering for it is one thing, but you always need to verify that the offers show in your paypal account prior to using them. that's the only explanation I can think of in this instance.

MISTERCHEAP said:   stuffedwallet said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   stuffedwallet said:   no luck here...

sw,

did you show the DG offer "active" in your pp account prior to going to DG? if it was active I know of no reason it would not have worked. registering for it is one thing, but you always need to verify that the offers show in your paypal account prior to using them. that's the only explanation I can think of in this instance.

yes and I even got reminder email from PP that the DG offer in my account will be expiring on 12/31. The offer is still there in my account. I may have to call/email them to see what's wrong.

not luck at Dollar General - said my PIN was wrong - I know it was right but I just reset it to 8 digits. Maybe it will help. My friend also had the same issues with the PIN not being recognized.

Buyer Beware - I used this to buy a gift card at Dollar General, at first the cashier was confused. she insisted that it could not be done, I asked to speak with a manager who informed me that it could not be done and it would never go through. I asked him to try, he said fine, if it goes through, no problems.

well it went through without a hitch, I got the gift card but it did not deduct the money from my paypal account. I figured it would take a few hours.. next day I have a weird voice mail from the manager accusing me of fraud.. the guy does not even identify himself.. just leaves a threatening message saying he knows where to find me...

if it did not go though, I am not sure, why he could not just void the transaction and cancel the gift card. I haven't used it and don't intend to..

now that leaves me with a dilemma, I don't want to go back to the store with the idiot manager accusing me of fraud. I cant spend the funds in my paypal just in case the transaction goes through later... I don't want to use the gift card and be accused of fraud..

I sent an email to paypal about it..hopefully they can fix it..

Paypal really needs to work out the kinks here and Dollar General needs smarter managers.

ps: the voice mail from DG manager is seriously creepy, weird and very threatening..

I bought 31 dollars of GC. I did not receive a email. I was only charged 21 dollars after I verified the transacation.

This is great to use with the $5/$25 coupon. I've never set foot in one of these stores before but I think I will on Saturday.

Fantastic! Signed up for the deal. Now I just have to get down there before the end of the month. Thanks.

jhonnydi said:   I sent an email to paypal about it..hopefully they can fix it..

Paypal really needs to work out the kinks here and Dollar General needs smarter managers.

ps: the voice mail from DG manager is seriously creepy, weird and very threatening..
I would call DG corporate if I were you.

I used this today bought 2 x $15 iTunes cards and had a text message saying that I had paid $20 by the time I got to my car.

When I tried to check out with a $25 gift card, the cahier said I had to pay in cash. I've shopped there many a times with no such request, so I just charged my cc with my other purchases and will try again another day. Anyone else get the same story?

spankyj said:   When I tried to check out with a $25 gift card, the cahier said I had to pay in cash. I've shopped there many a times with no such request, so I just charged my cc with my other purchases and will try again another day. Anyone else get the same story?

I've seen a few places that only do cash for gift cards. Not incredibly uncommon.

Also had a problem with not receiving the discount from DG. Have submitted info to PayPal.

spankyj said:   When I tried to check out with a $25 gift card, the cahier said I had to pay in cash. I've shopped there many a times with no such request, so I just charged my cc with my other purchases and will try again another day. Anyone else get the same story?The Paypal option came up on the credit card terminal as soon as my first item was scanned at the store I went to, and I was able to enter everything without their even being involved. The cashier didn't have anything to do until the very end.

jhonnydi said:   Buyer Beware - I used this to buy a gift card at Dollar General, at first the cashier was confused. she insisted that it could not be done, I asked to speak with a manager who informed me that it could not be done and it would never go through. I asked him to try, he said fine, if it goes through, no problems.

well it went through without a hitch, I got the gift card but it did not deduct the money from my paypal account. I figured it would take a few hours.. next day I have a weird voice mail from the manager accusing me of fraud.. the guy does not even identify himself.. just leaves a threatening message saying he knows where to find me...

if it did not go though, I am not sure, why he could not just void the transaction and cancel the gift card. I haven't used it and don't intend to..

now that leaves me with a dilemma, I don't want to go back to the store with the idiot manager accusing me of fraud. I cant spend the funds in my paypal just in case the transaction goes through later... I don't want to use the gift card and be accused of fraud..

I sent an email to paypal about it..hopefully they can fix it..

FYI, if you linked a credit card to your "pay at store" Paypal account, even IF you have a balance of funds in your Paypal account, it still charges it to the credit card you have linked. I would check to see if you have a pending charge on that credit card, I find it hard to believe you weren't "charged" some way for this transaction.

again, it WILL NOT touch your funds sitting in your paypal account if your credit card is linked, so don't use that as your test to decide if the transaction went through.

MISTERCHEAP said:   FYI, if you linked a credit card to your "pay at store" Paypal account, even IF you have a balance of funds in your Paypal account, it still charges it to the credit card you have linked.

again, it WILL NOT touch your funds sitting in your paypal account if your credit card is linked, so don't use that as your test to decide if the transaction went through.
Wouldn't the above only apply when "Preferred payment method" is <credit card>, not when it's PayPal Balance or <bank account>?

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   FYI, if you linked a credit card to your "pay at store" Paypal account, even IF you have a balance of funds in your Paypal account, it still charges it to the credit card you have linked.

Wouldn't the above only apply when "Preferred payment method" is <credit card>, not when it's PayPal Balance or <bank account>?

I guess that's what I meant, but also, if your Paypal funds are insufficient or tied up for some other reason (not cleared, etc), it may default to your credit card as well.

MISTERCHEAP said:   

I guess that's what I meant, but also, if your Paypal funds are insufficient or tied up for some other reason (not cleared, etc), it may default to your credit card as well.

I double checked - preferred payment method is paypal funds, the linked credit card was not charged.

btw here is a transcript of the voice mail from Dollar General:

"Hey whoever you think you are, we got you on camera we got you, we are tracking you down..
All these things you are running around using paypal and stealin you going to go to jail buddy
AHH. GOT. YOU. going
you will go to jail trust me.
I know where you stay, I know everything about you, we are tracking you down
You will go to jail"

Link to original post

jhonnydi said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

I double checked - preferred payment method is paypal funds, the linked credit card was not charged.

"Hey whoever you think you are, we got you on camera we got you, we are tracking you down..
All these things you are running around using paypal and stealin you going to go to jail buddy
AHH. GOT. YOU. going
You will go to jail"

Link to original post

You may want to send it to DG HQ.

jhonnydi said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

AHH. GOT. YOU. going
You will go to jail"

Link to original post

Wild!!!! Where is this store located?

blackbullitt said:   

AHH. GOT. YOU. going
You will go to jail"

Link to original post

This is a store in Houston, TX (at Cullen and Polk}

jhonnydi said:   blackbullitt said:   

AHH. GOT. YOU. going
You will go to jail"

Link to original post

This is a store in Houston, TX (at Cullen and Polk}

Call the police and file a complaint. There certainly has been a breach of privacy involved and a threat. They should not have your contact information. How did they call you?

pprogram said:   not luck at Dollar General - said my PIN was wrong - I know it was right but I just reset it to 8 digits. Maybe it will help. My friend also had the same issues with the PIN not being recognized.

My pin worked with 8 digits at DG today. I do not know if that was the problem since Paypal allows 4-8 digits.

can the Amazon gift cards be rang up for any amount, or is it a set at the amount on the card ($25). I wanted to hit 30 exactly, but had no use for any other gift card that was $10 or $15. I suppose I could buy something else in there but don't think I'd trust whatever I purchase. After seeing the store for the first time, I sort of don't want to see it again. Perhaps another location is much more easy on the eye, but this was a wreck.

jhonnydi said:   

AHH. GOT. YOU. going
You will go to jail"

Link to original post

Sounds more like one of your buddies messing with you that you told about the deal. How would DG get your tel# off a debit transaction? In my retail establishment, I have called our credit card help desk to try and get a tel# of a customer that left their credit card behind and was told they could not give out that information.

kmsandrbs said:   Also had a problem with not receiving the discount from DG. Have submitted info to PayPal.
Did not work for me as well
Initially when I signed up.. the DG/PPal link showed the local store.
When I did not get this offer (attempted today an hour ago), I went back to the link and tried it once more. The Offer shows up as being associated with the account (good), however to the right - it now shows me - No local participating stores. Called up DG/1-800/Corp and asked them to investigate

Will now need to follow-up with PPal as well..

Edit.. Called PPal CS. They indicated that the offer WAS still valid and since the transaction showed up as 'pending' the offer/coupon would apply as soon as the transaction was 'approved'. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Did this tonight. Email from Paypal showed up on my phone almost immediately after the transaction.

Bluefw said:   Did this tonight. Email from Paypal showed up on my phone almost immediately after the transaction.That's the way it should work. I get an email and an SMS text message on the phone before I get out of the store stating that I paid $20.00 saved $10.00 after a $30.00 transaction.

pprogram said:   pprogram said:   not luck at Dollar General - said my PIN was wrong - I know it was right but I just reset it to 8 digits. Maybe it will help. My friend also had the same issues with the PIN not being recognized.My pin worked with 8 digits at DG today. I do not know if that was the problem since Paypal allows 4-8 digits.My PayPal InStore Checkout PIN is only 4 digits and I haven't had any problems using it.

MeIsCheap said:   can the Amazon gift cards be rang up for any amount, or is it a set at the amount on the card ($25). I wanted to hit 30 exactly, but had no use for any other gift card that was $10 or $15. I suppose I could buy something else in there but don't think I'd trust whatever I purchase. After seeing the store for the first time, I sort of don't want to see it again. Perhaps another location is much more easy on the eye, but this was a wreck.

Oh how precious. The world must be such a scary place for you. It's a dollar store that sells the same crap as WalMart or Target except on a smaller scale. 12 packs of Coke are the same no matter where you buy them. Geez!

Wow, that was easy... A phone number, a pin, no cards or ID's, and immediately received a txt message saying that I saved $10. Thanks OP!

Too easy. Got a Shell give cards and some 2liters that were on sale. Thanks OP.

Maybe it was just my Dollar General, but they couldn't figure out how to use my phone number as a payment method - it was requiring the card. Needless to say, I won't be getting the $10 deal. However, Home Depot worked like a charm.

I got my $10 discounted! when asked to pay I looked at the Credit Card display, there is a button that says Paypal, tapped it, entered my phone number in the keypad and then asked for my pin, entered and Presto! transaction completed, cashier gave me a receipt - easiest $10 bucks ever saved!

And paypal had emailed me by the time I got home with the savings!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.