• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

Update: Confirmed MP3 credit with "purchase" of select apps.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Prices Back up ($14.99 for office)
Glad I got it Wed.

Thanks OP

KKCC (Dec. 27, 2012 @ 5:24a) |

How would we know if we got MP3 credits? I got a few of these apps yesterday, but I can't find anywhere on Amazon that t... (more)

bittterman (Dec. 27, 2012 @ 8:41a) |

I figured it out. Go to any MP3 page and click on "redeem a gift card or promoion code & view balance."

bittterman (Dec. 27, 2012 @ 2:30p) |

Receive $1 MP3 credit with select apps. Best to purchase from desktop/laptop, receive credit, and then install to phone at another time.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ooh, free stuff!! I'm in!! Thanks OP

I shall logon when i get home on my HP TP CM9

TY

Radiant HD is good

TYOP.

hoping to pick up my new galaxy s3 today...these might be the first apps to go on it!thx op..

ty op

OMG.. TY TY TY TY!!

those following the Amazon free app of the day regularly would already have these apps with them but for new users its great to get it free

Thanks!!! Nice find!

Probably a stupid question, but could these be downloaded easily (and work) on a Nexus 7? Or are these mainly phone apps?

Several of these say they come with $1 mp3 credits. Not sure if they do if the app is free, but worth a shot.

Yes they can, I have one and it works on the nexus 7

anonguy said:   Probably a stupid question, but could these be downloaded easily (and work) on a Nexus 7? Or are these mainly phone apps?

They would work easily with the nexus 7, some of them probably will work better on the nexus than a phone since the screen is bigger.

Thank you Jeff for making all these available for free the day after so many opened up their shiny new Fires.

Too bad they don't have the most useful free app I've gotten, Swiftkey 3 (although it does seem to be half price at $1.99).

Thank goodness! I missed out on Call of atlantis.com before. In fact, I don't forget to click for the App of the Day often. The other one I missed was another highly rated game, Cricket. Just plain bad luck.

I'm posting this from another FOTD thread both due to the time I spent typing it up and the importance of the content re: privacy concerns (app permissions). Red me if you don't like a wall of text, but I think it's relevant.

This post is specific in regards to Office Suite, but should apply to any Android app where people are sensitive about app permissions:

An app of this caliber and visibility isn't going to spy on you, clear out your checking account, and take your first born.

Amaz0n reviewers are HYPER sensitive about permissions. Every FOTA gets dissected and back, usually for the worse. It's funny, actually seeing the stars of any FAOTD decrease over the course of the day as people discover the "OMG scarie!!1" permissions. These are needed for the app to function correctly and most people don't understand that so they trash the dev for spying on their life.

No, apps stealing your info isn't funny, but as long as you aren't installing some shady Chinese knockoff app with zero reviews, you will be fine. Just take your $1 Amazon free credit and never install. Then save up for a new tinfoil hat.

Edit: let's dissect them, shall we?

THIS APPLICATION HAS ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING:
YOUR ACCOUNTS
USE ACCOUNTS ON THE DEVICE
Allows the app to request authentication tokens.
So the app can authenticate with your accounts to read/write infomation

ADD OR REMOVE ACCOUNTS
Allows the app to perform operations like adding and removing accounts, and deleting their password.
As you add/remove accounts, the app will need to process those instructions.

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL NETWORK ACCESS
Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.
App needs access to the internet to read/write information to the accounts you specify it to communicate with. You give it permission to do this behind the scenes so you don't have to authorize every instance you save/delete/modify information while working off of the cloud. That would be super annoying.

PHONE CALLS
READ PHONE STATUS AND IDENTITY
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
If your phone receives a call while using this app, it will interrupt you and ring. If it didn't do this, you'd be upset you missed a call. This lets the app pause so your phone call comes through.

STORAGE
MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
Allows the app to write to the USB storage. Allows the app to write to the SD card.
People (like me) use a phone with a microSD card. This permission allows the app to read/write info to said SD card.

SYSTEM TOOLS
RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS
Allows the app to retrieve information about currently and recently running tasks. This may allow the app to discover information about which applications are used on the device.
This permission allows the app to read other app activity to create a better user experience. i.e. if you have dropbox installed, it may detecte this and prompt you to integrate the app with Dropbox (I believe, at least).

REORDER RUNNING APPS
Allows the app to move tasks to the foreground and background. The app may do this without your input.
Allows the app to be prioritized. Say you are working on a Word document - important, right? Well this permission allows the app to be prioritized so you don't lose your work. Also lets the app continue running if minimized (in the background) so that work you just did on your document isn't gone forever.

CONNECT AND DISCONNECT FROM WI-FI
Allows the app to connect to and disconnect from Wi-Fi access points and to make changes to device configuration for Wi-Fi networks.
App needs data access to read/write data to the cloud.

CHANGE NETWORK CONNECTIVITY
Allows the app to change the state of network connectivity.
Allows the app to use wifi/3g to communicate

PREVENT TABLET FROM SLEEPING PREVENT PHONE FROM SLEEPING
Allows the app to prevent the tablet from going to sleep. Allows the app to prevent the phone from going to sleep.
You don't want your phone turning off in the middle of editing/reading a document, do you? This is what this permission is for - so your phone doesn't switch off in the middle of reading/editing a document.

YOUR ACCOUNTS
FIND ACCOUNTS ON THE DEVICE
Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the tablet. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed. Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.
Enables the app to find your google account/other cloud accounts. You do want the convienence of cloud storage, don't you? If you have Google Drive or Dropbox, the app will see this and ask you if you want to set those services up. Nice.

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
VIEW WI-FI CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and name of connected Wi-Fi devices.
Lets the app see wifi so you don't use your precious metered data.

VIEW NETWORK CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
Allows the app to understand if your phone is connected to wifi/3g so it can communciate with cloud services.

YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
ADD WORDS TO USER-DEFINED DICTIONARY
Allows the app to write new words into the user dictionary.
Wee al liek spelchek. This permmison allws teh ap two usey teh ditchinary so u lewk smarit. You may have added custom words to your dictionary. This permission lets the app use said dictionary (custom or stock) for a better experience. Hey, if you spell "car" as "kar" this permission will save you the frustration of trying to correct what you don't want corrected.

SYSTEM TOOLS
RUN AT STARTUP
Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the tablet and allow the app to slow down the overall tablet by always running. Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the phone and allow the app to slow down the overall phone by always running.
Allows the app to start when your phone starts, if you are in to that and use the app a lot.

TEST ACCESS TO PROTECTED STORAGE TEST ACCESS TO PROTECTED STORAGE
Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be available on future devices. Allows the app to test a permission for the SD card that will be available on future devices.
Allows the app to see if there is a microSD or external storage is present and to read/write your document data to said card.

None of these will ruin your life. I'm not a security analyst, just someone who pauses to read and think about what permissions are actually doing. None of these should keep you up at night. Just because you don't understand this doesn't mean you need to talk lawsuits. Jeez people.

Thanks OP.

Updated to confirm MP3 credit with select apps. Best to purchase from desktop/laptop, receive credit, and then install to phone at another time.

Prices Back up ($14.99 for office)
Glad I got it Wed.

Thanks OP

How would we know if we got MP3 credits? I got a few of these apps yesterday, but I can't find anywhere on Amazon that tells me I have credits.

I figured it out. Go to any MP3 page and click on "redeem a gift card or promoion code & view balance."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014