• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

1Sale.com
Need a 1Sale.com coupon that earns 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Foscam Wireless/Network Camera
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great deal. I bought the 8910 when it was about this price on Amazon and I'm considering buying a second.

Awesome,

I bought two from Groupon Goods and the cameras arrived completely trashed. It looked like someone had run over the boxes, wrapped them in packing tape and decided it was cool to send out to customers. Bunch of parts were missing too. I have to send them back and was bummed I missed all the other good deals on these until now. I'll never buy from Groupon Goods again.

I did play with the camera though. Totally awesome and worth the price IMHO!

I bought 4 of them from the HD deal. These are great for indoors. As for outdoors, Im not sure but you might have to get a different kind. Not sure if a cover would work over these. Been doing some searches and a few reported problems with IR and a n outdoor cover for 8910w camera.

But the 8910W are better for the price.

They also have the outdoor 8905 on sale too. Does anyone have an experience with them? I already have the 8910 and they are great for indoors but want an outdoor one.

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/fi8905w/

Is this thing good and reliable for baby monitoring? A similar thing labeled as baby monitor from Samsung has a ~$150 price tag at Target, sounds like a rip off to me.

i have the 8910w. i used it to monitor my front yard by "motion alert emails" and "live video" over the internet. it has been clear and smooth. now i can watch my home from my Kindle Fire HD. it is reasonably easy to set up (the CD contains a 20 minutes step-by-step video).

it should be great for baby watching. my test video is very clear even in completely dark room.

arabidopsis said:   Is this thing good and reliable for baby monitoring? A similar thing labeled as baby monitor from Samsung has a ~$150 price tag at Target, sounds like a rip off to me.

fwuser2 said:   it should be great for baby watching. my test video is very clear even in completely dark room.

arabidopsis said:   Is this thing good and reliable for baby monitoring? A similar thing labeled as baby monitor from Samsung has a ~$150 price tag at Target, sounds like a rip off to me.

Great! Thanks and happy new year!

I've been using the FI8918W for the past year.
Although its only for indoor use I put mine right above the garage with the roof covering it and I've had no problems.

Pros & cons
-motion detection sends pictures to my gmail instantly. However, the quality of the pictures aren't that great. You wont be able to for example, capture a persons license plate number.
-I use ipcamera viewer on my macbook pro, and foscam app on my iphone and the picture quality is acceptable when i'm away from home.
-I like the fact that you can move the camera when you're away from home so that you can check each side (and to make sure the garage is closed)!
-the SETUP isn't the easiest. I would say that if you've never played around with your router and dont know what a ip address is or what port forwarding is... expect to configure and troubleshoot for awhile.

tip:
plug in the camera with a lan wire when you configure it initially.

I have an 8910, and the only issue we have with using it as a baby monitor is that the IR LEDs glow red pretty creepily...we have the camera in our toddler's room, and he's not a big fan of that red ring. As a compromise, we keep it pointed at the wall or ceiling most of the time, and just move it to check on him when we need to. Fortunately, the pan/tilt is exceptionally quiet.

Aside from looks, what is the difference between the two? Is it worth the extra $10?

lawhing said:   They also have the outdoor 8905 on sale too. Does anyone have an experience with them? I already have the 8910 and they are great for indoors but want an outdoor one.

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/fi8905w/

I bought this as i also wanted an outdoor one. The camera works fine outdoors/gets wet etc.
The login/config/interface is indentical to the 8910.

TheBigCheese said:   Aside from looks, what is the difference between the two? Is it worth the extra $10?
Probably the wireless interface? Looks 8918 is b/g, and 8910 is b/g/n.

you can turn the IR on/off remotely by clicking on the button of the webpage.

ChrisSBU said:   I have an 8910, and the only issue we have with using it as a baby monitor is that the IR LEDs glow red pretty creepily...we have the camera in our toddler's room, and he's not a big fan of that red ring. As a compromise, we keep it pointed at the wall or ceiling most of the time, and just move it to check on him when we need to. Fortunately, the pan/tilt is exceptionally quiet.

Here's some unsolicited advice:

1. For $10 more, get the 8910. The color is way better, and the auto IR function is great. It has a 2 year warranty if you buy it from the manufacturer's website.

2. Using it outdoors... get a housing. The 8910 will not last too long dealing with the elements.

3. It's great as a baby monitor, but I would not use the IR function. Intense IR light can damage the retina of the eye. How much it takes to damage a baby's eyes is undocumented.

Great cams, LOUSY place to do business.. Save your headache, buy Direct from Foscam, just my $00.02

anyone know how the customer service and tech support is like? some of the Amazon reviews seems iffy...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.