• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link
Discount reflected in cart.

Adorama
See Adorama coupons that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Canon EF 50mm
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
In41. Thanks OP.

JohnTheDoe (Dec. 28, 2012 @ 2:49p) |

You don't see a real difference between somebody with a severe medical condition causing shaking compared to a friend th... (more)

geowrian (Dec. 29, 2012 @ 3:49p) |

^^ u must not go to comedy clubs much debbie. I'm sure Michael would take no offense; as among other things he is largel... (more)

hakujin (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 10:22a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good find, OP. Also want to point out that if you put the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens in the cart, the price goes lower to $299 (25% off MSRP, vs 29% off MSRP on the f1.8). http://www.adorama.com/CA5014AFU.html

I would have jumped if this was the IS version. I love the f1.8 aperture, but I usually can't use a tripod. If I did, I would have jumped on this. Great find.

Edit: Lots of red here. See below: I'm aware there is no IS version for this lens. Either way, I was saying this was a great lens and a great deal.

geowrian said:   I would have jumped if this was the IS version. I love the f1.8 aperture, but I usually can't use a tripod. If I did, I would have jumped on this. Great find.

At f/1.8 aperture, why would you need IS? Do you shake more than Michael J Fox? BTW, they don't make IS 50mm fixed lens, so you probably would never jump on any 50mm fixed lens. =)

StHalcyon said:   geowrian said:   I would have jumped if this was the IS version. I love the f1.8 aperture, but I usually can't use a tripod. If I did, I would have jumped on this. Great find.

At f/1.8 aperture, why would you need IS? Do you shake more than Michael J Fox? BTW, they don't make IS 50mm fixed lens, so you probably would never jump on any 50mm fixed lens. =)
Once you go prime, it's hard to go back (even with IS). It is a different beast than the kit zoom lens. Research this lens (and the f/1.4 posted above) to see how useful this is. And then buy it, because I haven't seen this lens this low in a long time. In short, it's a brilliant starter portrait lens that gives soft, creamy backgrounds and also works well in low-light situations.

StHalcyon said:   geowrian said:   I would have jumped if this was the IS version. I love the f1.8 aperture, but I usually can't use a tripod. If I did, I would have jumped on this. Great find.

You're right...no IS version. Darn. I have the f/1.8 (no IS) already and I do see some issues with the types of picture I take. Maybe I do tend to shake a lot? Or maybe it's just the nature of some of the pictures I take where I can't get a stable stance? Either way, I have the current model and I do sometimes see some issues with given equivalent settings.

Then again, I have some new accessories to help me with keep the camera stable now. Thanks Santa. haha

Edit: Wow, not a lot of love here.

Red for M J Fox comment. Totally unacceptable

Thanks - in for 1, been watching for this to be on sale again.

Hi everyone i want this for a gift i bought a 7d to my wife , does this lens will be good for close pictures like inside the house and something very closed like flowers?

thanks in advance

Terrific price on this lens. Already have one, but green for you, OP!

hmmm, this or the 40 pancake, granted for a few dollars more
for my T3i

Thanks OP - in for 1! Was looking for this lens to drop in price.

WindWalker said:   hmmm, this or the 40 pancake, granted for a few dollars more
for my T3i

I've said this in multiple related threads, but I think wider is better on a crop, especially if you're shooting in close quarters (indoors). I have the 600d, too, and I'm shooting the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 that I just bought. I think the perspective of a 40mm lens will serve you better than a 50mm one. You usually can move closer to your subject, but you can't always move back farther.

In the end, though, it really depends on how you plan to use the lens. If you plan to take lots of head-and-shoulders shots, then the 50mm probably will serve you well. I'm sure you can find more discussion on a site like dpreview.

I originally thought I'd buy the nifty fifty as my first prime, but I'm glad I passed it up to buy a wider lens. This is still a god deal, though, so it gets green from me.

creyes3 said:   Hi everyone i want this for a gift i bought a 7d to my wife , does this lens will be good for close pictures like inside the house and something very closed like flowers?

thanks in advance

Those are two different questions. On the crop sensor in the 7d, I think you will find the 50mm is too much of a zoom lens for most indoor uses, as you will need to stand too far back from most of your subjects. But the lens does have a macro mode that lets it focus on subjects only 1.5 feet from the front of the lens. That should make it good to photograph flowers.

Thanks, got one - good deal for a starter looking to get better portrait pictures than with kit lens.

Hoogineer said:   WindWalker said:   hmmm, this or the 40 pancake, granted for a few dollars more
for my T3i

I've said this in multiple related threads, but I think wider is better on a crop, especially if you're shooting in close quarters (indoors).

leaning this way

Dang, looks to be unorderable at the moment:

Sorry! due to the great demand for this item we ran out of it. We are currently not accepting orders for this item, until our buying team will be able to ascertain that we can acquire this in a reasonable time. Please check back in a few hours when we will have this information, and hopefully it will be available again for ordering

I need one of these. Good find. Hopefully it becomes orderable again.

This is a cheaply made lens as far as durability but as far as picture quality it is EXCELLENT. Just make sure you store it in a padded area of your bag and I don't recommend transporting the camera with it attached.

ash =o)

Back in stock

creyes3 said:   Hi everyone i want this for a gift i bought a 7d to my wife , does this lens will be good for close pictures like inside the house and something very closed like flowers?

thanks in advance

I hope you were able to get in on the deal like the rest of us. But yes, it works on the 7D. Depending on what you want out of your pictures, dpreview.com stated that this lense is soft on wider apertures. So it's up to you if you prefer that dreamy picture feel, or if you prefer sharpness. Also DoF is weak on this lens. But I'm okay with all that because those are compromisable attributes that the $89 price more than makes up for. =)

I was also holding out for the f/1.4 but jumped on this one.
I figure I'll spend the excess $200 on another lens in the future

king0fSpades said:   StHalcyon said:   geowrian said:   I would have jumped if this was the IS version. I love the f1.8 aperture, but I usually can't use a tripod. If I did, I would have jumped on this. Great find.

I'm not sure what part of the M J Fox comment was unacceptable, since I used the symptoms of his illness as a point of reference to the shakes. Not an insult to him, or to belittle Parkinson's. The relative comparison would be lost if I had used my friend and colleague's name in there. C'est la vie.

jumponit2 said:   I was also holding out for the f/1.4 but jumped on this one.
I figure I'll spend the excess $200 on another lens in the future

If your Canon has the APS-C format, you probably made a wise decision going for the f/1.8. Reviews of the f/1.4 is pretty bad when used with APS-C format cameras. For even wider aperture, I'm holding out on a good deal for the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. For the time being, I'm looking forward to this lens to arrive. My first prime on a DSLR.

Just picked one up. Nice. Don't forget to go through a CashBack site.

For what it's worth, this lens takes very sharp photos. I don't understand why some of you are tripping about IS or not. There's a reason why it isn't cause it isn't needed.

You just have to really baby this lens because it feels like a toy. However, if you seriously need a 50mm the recent deal on the Signma 50 F1.4 is a sweet deal. it's the next best thing to the 50 F1.2L from Canon

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1245377/

dannieboiz said:   For what it's worth, this lens takes very sharp photos. I don't understand why some of you are tripping about IS or not. There's a reason why it isn't cause it isn't needed.

You just have to really baby this lens because it feels like a toy. However, if you seriously need a 50mm the recent deal on the Signma 50 F1.4 is a sweet deal. it's the next best thing to the 50 F1.2L from Canon

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1245377/

Only 1 person was tripping about IS.

Sadly, I missed the sweet Sigma deal. It has since gone back to $449.

At this price point of under $100, there is no other lens in this world that can give you portrait shots like this lens can. The sharpness and bokeh will guarantee to impress. Just remember the auto focus is a bit slow so give it the time it requires and you will get that great looking picture.
Handle this baby with care and the low build quality should not be an issue. But even if you mistreat, you can afford to buy another for backup at this low price.

In for one. Thanks OP

For the price, it's no problem. If you are taking mostly head shots and close ups this is a winner. Prepare to use foot-zoom. I have one for 3 years now but it is not my walk-around lens since I find 50mm limiting for my regular subjects --- family and friends in groups.

best lens for the t3i and t4i deals posting around. I just paid a hundy for it at Amazon.

of course, it isn't a one size fits all, but for 50mm shots, the shallow DoF and low light capability is fantastic.

In41. Thanks OP.

StHalcyon said:   king0fSpades said:   StHalcyon said:   geowrian said:   I would have jumped if this was the IS version. I love the f1.8 aperture, but I usually can't use a tripod. If I did, I would have jumped on this. Great find.

I'm not sure what part of the M J Fox comment was unacceptable, since I used the symptoms of his illness as a point of reference to the shakes. Not an insult to him, or to belittle Parkinson's. The relative comparison would be lost if I had used my friend and colleague's name in there. C'est la vie.

You don't see a real difference between somebody with a severe medical condition causing shaking compared to a friend that can't hold a camera steady? It was belittling of his condition. Not cool.

^^ u must not go to comedy clubs much debbie. I'm sure Michael would take no offense; as among other things he is largely admired by many [inc me]. I still found the point of reference amusing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.