• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Decent price for this drive. Depending on usage it can offer comparable performance to an SSD.

Linky

Review

Tiger Direct
See Tiger Direct discounts that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

ssd
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice price OP. I have this drive in my laptop and an very happy with it. An SSD would have been great, but when I bought this, a 512GB was just too expensive.

I thought the 500GB @ $49.99 was a much better deal...

I needed the additional space the 750GB provides as I have lots of VM's for each development project I work on. Additionally the 750 as twice (8GB) the NAND as the 500.

I had issues with this drive in MacBooks. I had intermittent lock up spinning beach ball events. Many would require powering off the MacBook to recover. Sometimes there would be days between these events, sometimes there were many per day. In addition this drive consumes significant power in a MacBook, even when sleeping. I tripled my battery life by switching this drive out for full SSD. I also tried it in multiple MacBooks, the issue moved with the drive.

There are lots of issues. I did update the firmware and the problem did not really improve.

Read about more issues at this link..

Damn! Just bought the 500GB version for $70 off Amazon

You could return it

Is Tiger Direct merchandise any good or is it a crapshoot like Newegg? (I use like Newegg until a few years ago)

$75 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Internal-Notebook-ST97504...

Sorry...I think this is a different 750GB Momentus.

It's about the same however I seem to pay for shipping more often @ TD...

ProfessorKev said:   Is Tiger Direct merchandise any good or is it a crapshoot like Newegg? (I use like Newegg until a few years ago)

You Mac folks have issues to begin with !!!!!

woot4fun said:   I had issues with this drive in MacBooks. I had intermittent lock up spinning beach ball events. Many would require powering off the MacBook to recover. Sometimes there would be days between these events, sometimes there were many per day. In addition this drive consumes significant power in a MacBook, even when sleeping. I tripled my battery life by switching this drive out for full SSD. I also tried it in multiple MacBooks, the issue moved with the drive.

There are lots of issues. I did update the firmware and the problem did not really improve.

ChuckBarris said:   $75 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Internal-Notebook-ST97504...

Sorry...I think this is a different 750GB Momentus.

Yea, this thread is about the XT. Thanks for checking though!

had the Momentus XT 500 in my 13" MacBook Pro and did update it to the latest firmware before reinstalling Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard ran pretty fast compare to the slow 320 GB 5,600 RPM hard drive. However when I installed Windows 7 using Boot Camp, Windows 8 seemed slow. I updated to a 128 GB SSD (Crucial M4), which made a huge difference in boot up time and overall responsiveness as compared to the Momentus XT. I have yet to install Windows 7 (was waiting for Windows 8). I ordered a couple 180 GB Intel 520's (if I do not use them in a RAID 0, I may install one in the MacBook Pro and install Windows 8.

SithMaster said:   You Mac folks have issues to begin with !!!!!

woot4fun said:   I had issues with this drive in MacBooks. I had intermittent lock up spinning beach ball events. Many would require powering off the MacBook to recover. Sometimes there would be days between these events, sometimes there were many per day. In addition this drive consumes significant power in a MacBook, even when sleeping. I tripled my battery life by switching this drive out for full SSD. I also tried it in multiple MacBooks, the issue moved with the drive.

LOL -- though I am a mac book pro owner, I laughed. I switched from a regular PC laptop to a mac so I could do both mac and PCs when I need to support some people. I mainly use the mac for browsing the web, and email. I use VMware for productivity stuff. But yea, Apple really screw the end user if they want real productivity in a large enterprise level -- but their hardware is pretty solid if it comes from factory. If you want real support for new hardware, you'll have to wait for apple to release updates for those things. Otherwise, you take your chances.

OOS online. Bummer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014