• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Core i5-2500K
Disclaimer
OEM - Intel Core i5-2500K Socket LGA 1155 (3.3GHz Quad Core) Processor $139.99 at MicroCenter ($5.99 Shipping)

• LGA 1155 CPU Socket Type
  • Quad Core Sandy Bridge
  • 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) Operating Frequency
  • 6MB L3 Cache
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000 Integrated Graphics
  • 32nm Manufacturing Tech
  • 95W Thermal Design Power
  • 1-Year Limited Warranty

Normally $180 or more, now $139.99 plus $5.99 shipping for a total of $145.98.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

beware! OEM=>no fan. 3rd party manufacturing. The fan itself is probably $30+ and the fact this cpu is made by the likes of Dell and HP implies potential quality problems. Notice the 1 year limited warranty. Why bother with Intel when you can get a quality AMD FX cpu made by AMD with a super nice heatsink for just a little more?

fatxman said:   beware! OEM=>no fan. 3rd party manufacturing. The fan itself is probably $30+ and the fact this cpu is made by the likes of Dell and HP implies potential quality problems. Notice the 1 year limited warranty. Why bother with Intel when you can get a quality AMD FX cpu made by AMD with a super nice heatsink for just a little more?

You can get heatsink/fans for $10 easy. Also these chips are not made by Dell/HP they are made by intel. These are the same chips in retail boxs.

I'd personally rather have the OEM for a bit cheaper and put the money saved towards a better heatsink (like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 for $19.99). The whole point of this CPU imo is overclocking.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture

This is still made by Intel, it just does not come in the fancy box, stock cooler (usually with paste pre-applied), and manual or other documentation.

Here is the retail package at Newegg currently selling for $219.99.

Wow, finally they're shipping these great deals! Too bad I already got an i5... still good deal for a highly capable CPU!

Now if only I could get that price with a motherboard bundle...

N41. Was hoping to see a deal like this after Christmas. Have my Hyper 212+ standing by. Thanks!

Last time MC cleared out Retail version i5-2500K for $99.99 + tax.
$139.99 OEM version is OK but no comparison to that one.

rickdom said:   Last time MC cleared out Retail version i5-2500K for $99.99 + tax.

Was the $99 deal an in-store price only? This is the first time I'm seeing a low price on a CPU that Microcenter actually ships. It's the best deal currently around.

kami333 said:   Now if only I could get that price with a motherboard bundle...
They had the bundle deals with Intel processors before Christmas. Not sure if OEM processors were included at that time. Current promo appears to be AMD processor/Motherboard bundle.

gusk1200 said:   rickdom said:   Last time MC cleared out Retail version i5-2500K for $99.99 + tax.

Was the $99 deal an in-store price only? This is the first time I'm seeing a low price on a CPU that Microcenter actually ships. It's the best deal currently around.

It was in-store. Most of the sales people thought it was a price mistake. I suspect that the OEM sandy bridge version may go a little cheaper if people don't bite at it at this price.

fatxman said:   beware! OEM=>no fan. 3rd party manufacturing. The fan itself is probably $30+ and the fact this cpu is made by the likes of Dell and HP implies potential quality problems.
Nobody can make these CPUs except Intel, and actually only OEM CPUs have no 3rd party manufacturing involved bcause retail boxed CPUs come with coolers made by a 3rd party, including Delta for the fan.

Only problem is youre gonna get charged tax if you got one in your state. Add for that...

Logician1313 said:   I'd personally rather have the OEM for a bit cheaper and put the money saved towards a better heatsink (like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 for $19.99). The whole point of this CPU imo is overclocking.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture

This is still made by Intel, it just does not come in the fancy box, stock cooler (usually with paste pre-applied), and manual or other documentation.

Here is the retail package at Newegg currently selling for $219.99.

I have the Hyper 212 on a i5-3570k system I built last month. It is a really big unit and may be a tight fit in some cases, but it really works. The fan is pretty quiet since it can run at a slow speed.

Actually OEM CPU's just come in a bulk tray with no fan but they are still made by Intel. The difference is in the warranty as the CPU is covered by HP/Dell etc for replacement instead of Intel and the only physical difference is the part number.

fatxman said:   beware! OEM=>no fan. 3rd party manufacturing. The fan itself is probably $30+ and the fact this cpu is made by the likes of Dell and HP implies potential quality problems. Notice the 1 year limited warranty. Why bother with Intel when you can get a quality AMD FX cpu made by AMD with a super nice heatsink for just a little more?

Hell yeah nobody wants those budget knock off intel chips that Dell and HP make using their fab plants. Oh wait, they have fab plants that can make icore chips?

You need to stop with your AMD fanboyism. Seriously, give it up. Its been going on for almost a year, you trash Intel for no reason every time a hot deal is posted, and try to promote an inferior product. Just stop. You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. NONE.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014