Voting History
rated:
ATX 600W Power Supply @ Tiger Direct - $14.99 after Rebate
compare at $44.99
Shipping adds $4.76.
Expires On: Jan 5, 2013 12:00am

Rebates
$25 Rebate

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Tiger Direct
Need a Tiger Direct coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

ATX 600W Power Supply
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ultra Limited Edition 600W Power Supply U12-41530 or
Ultra LSP 600-Watt ATX Power Supply or
ULTRA 600W LIMITED EDITION PSU - BLK (UPC: 022769415307) (PART: u12-41530) (Model: AD-5520N2-36)

Rebate covers 11/11/2012 through 1/5/2013

Be careful if you purchased this back in November, you cannot get a second rebate.

it says ATX. I use a microATX motherboard. Will it work there?

Sounds like a great price for a 600w power supply--but then I noticed that it's Tiger Direct and that the price factors in a $25 Rebate. I have PAINFULLY LEARNED from Several Years of putting up with Tiger Direct's FAKE REBATE OFFERS THAT THE BUYER NEVER RECEIVES THE REBATE FROM TIGER DIRECT. Apparently Tiger Direct determined that the road to more profits was to RIP OFF THE BUYER EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!!! (E.g., Fake Rebates, Not Accepting Returns, Re-Selling RMAed Items, You Name It! So Now whenever I see that the Seller = Tiger Direct it's an Automatic NO BUY . . . For The Rest Of My Life Tiger Direct AND I WILL WARN OTHERS ABOUT THE WAY YOU MISTREATED YOUR FORMER CUSTOMERS FOR YEARS EVERY TIME I DO!!!

mkoenig said:   Sounds like a great price for a 600w power supply--but then I noticed that it's Tiger Direct and that the price factors in a $25 Rebate. I have PAINFULLY LEARNED from Several Years of putting up with Tiger Direct's FAKE REBATE OFFERS THAT THE BUYER NEVER RECEIVES THE REBATE FROM TIGER DIRECT. Apparently Tiger Direct determined that the road to more profits was to RIP OFF THE BUYER EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!!! (E.g., Fake Rebates, Not Accepting Returns, Re-Selling RMAed Items, You Name It! So Now whenever I see that the Seller = Tiger Direct it's an Automatic NO BUY . . . For The Rest Of My Life Tiger Direct AND I WILL WARN OTHERS ABOUT THE WAY YOU MISTREATED YOUR FORMER CUSTOMERS FOR YEARS EVERY TIME I DO!!!

Funny, I've never NOT received a rebate from TigerDirect. The most recent one I received I got a couple of weeks ago. I just submitted two more and they've already been confirmed. This rebate is processed by 4myrebate.com," which has processed a number of rebates for me. Never, ever a problem with them.

I'd recommend TigerDirect to anyone, and if the rebate makes it a good deal, don't hesitate. Just fill out the rebate CORRECTLY, on time, following the instructions exactly, and keep copies of everything you submit.

It is a great price, but this isn't an efficient power supply. An 80+ efficient PSU will pay for itself if you have the computer on much, by saving you power. And for a lot of builds, 600 watts is way more than you need (if not building a gaming machine, at least). My most recent Sandy Bridge build (a media center not a gaming machine - has no video cards) idles at 20 watts. The 430 watt efficient power supply I am using is way more than I need, though I'd probably want 250 watts minimum to handle peak loads. I saw that same Corsair 430W 80+ power supply on sale again for $20 after rebate again in the last week.

Ultra is crap. I have one go out and expecting the other one to do so.

This is the same one that I got on Black Friday, and it works great for me. I'm using it with the Biostar mobo that was on sale with memory from Neweeg. I just checked the status of my rebate and I has already shipped. Cross my fingers so that it arrives.
It is a very silent PSU.

ahallfatwallett said:   It is a great price, but this isn't an efficient power supply. An 80+ efficient PSU will pay for itself if you have the computer on much, by saving you power. And for a lot of builds, 600 watts is way more than you need (if not building a gaming machine, at least). My most recent Sandy Bridge build (a media center not a gaming machine - has no video cards) idles at 20 watts. The 430 watt efficient power supply I am using is way more than I need, though I'd probably want 250 watts minimum to handle peak loads. I saw that same Corsair 430W 80+ power supply on sale again for $20 after rebate again in the last week.

Actually, no. You'd have to be running the rig at 100% 24/7/365 and even then it would take years to recoup the price difference of the supply alone. The Energy Star stuff is crap, it's just marketing. That doesn't mean some power supplies aren't worth paying more for, but don't expect to save big bucks on your utility bill with a "Gold" or "Platinum" certified unit. The difference is pennies (on electricity costs.)

I know various sites have done the number crunching if you want to Google around.

cpabster said:   ahallfatwallett said:   It is a great price, but this isn't an efficient power supply. An 80+ efficient PSU will pay for itself if you have the computer on much, by saving you power..

Actually, no. You'd have to be running the rig at 100% 24/7/365 and even then it would take years to recoup the price difference of the supply alone.

Here, let me do the math for you:

I have seen some of these efficient power supplies draw 20 watts less than the inefficient power supply they replaced. (Yes, with a Kill-a-Watt meter, yes, comparing apples-to-apples, at idle.)

Let's say you pay 10 cents per kWh, which is a lot cheaper than some people reading this are paying. If your computer is on all day, in 24 hours it would cost $0.10/kWh * 0.02 kW * 24h = 4.8 cents per day for 20 watts. Or $17.52 per year if it were on 24/7. That's more than the cost of this 600W PSU all by itself. The 430W 80+ PSU I saw for $20 (if you don't need 600W but just need a cheap power supply) would pay for itself in a year (meaning, the extra $5 you spent on it) even if you only use it 8 hours a day.

I've also observed that many inefficient PSUs have high leakage current even when the computer is powered off - sometimes 6 watts or more. The 80+ PSUs are much better in this regard, too - they leak 2 watts or less in my experience with a couple of them. So it's likely you're saving power even when powered off (most poeple just turn the computer off and don't hit the power on the back of the PSU, which would kill all the power).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014