Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Mobil 1 Oil Change
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Cheaper for most cars to just buy from WalMart

2cheap2eat said:   Cheaper for most cars to just buy from WalMart

Not especially true since wallyworld has the 5qt jug for $25.00-$27.00.

This deal includes a Mobil 1 Oil Filter that usually runs $10.00 and up!

For all your DIYers, how do you dispose the used oil ?

Super. Thanks OP.

I take the used oil back to the auto parts store where they gladly accept it. The sell it to recycling facilities and make a tidy profit on it. Used hydrocarbon is big business these days.

Neighbor's backyard.

Great deal!!!

tajar96 said:   For all your DIYers, how do you dispose the used oil ?

Most of your local Auto Parts Store will take it in limited quantities (Advance, Autozone, etc). I have a local garage that disposes of it for free so I can get a few jugs together before handing it over.

Thanks folks. Worth asking my local Tires Plus or Pep Boys. I don't mind doing oil changes myself, need to learn now. Any good links ?

tajar96 said:   Thanks folks. Worth asking my local Tires Plus or Pep Boys. I don't mind doing oil changes myself, need to learn now. Any good links ?

Always change while engine is still warm (not hot) to help with complete draining.

Set emergency (parking) brake, jack up and block car to ensure it won't fall on you, place drain pan under oil pan, remove drain plug, drain,
re-install drain plug, empty drain pan into gallon jug, place drain pan under filter area, remove filter, drain and empty filter into pan,
(visually inspect old filter to see if the old rubber gasket is still on it, if not reach up and remove the old gasket from the filter bracket) <-this does happen sometimes.

Lubricate new filter gasket with new oil using your finger, fill new filter with oil, hand tighten new filter then use the filter wrench and tighten approximately 1/2 a turn more,
wipe up excess oil spills, throw down some oil dry on any spills (kitty litter works), remove block and jack down vehicle, install new oil but DO NOT OVERFILL, start out with
about 4 quarts.

Start engine and check for leaks under car, let run for 1 minute, shut off engine and let it sit for a few minutes while cleaning up and putting away tools, check oil on dipstick
and top up a little at a time to make sure the level is in the cross hatched area only, DO NOT OVERFILL, it will ruin your engine.

Bought oil and filter with coupon then had pep boys do the oil change and rotate tires for $20.

ptstudent said:   Bought oil and filter with coupon then had pep boys do the oil change and rotate tires for $20.

Always check your oil after a shop does it to make sure there is enough or that it is not overfilled.

Overfilling causes the crankshaft to splash into the oil resulting in bubbles (air pockets) that travel through the
oil passages reducing lubrication.

I'll never have Pep Boys change my oil again. They stripped the drain plug and shorted me 2 quarts a few years back. Been changing my own oil ever since.

Picked up 25K miles worth of oil changes on this deal.

Thanks.

@Technogeek good post but I'd like to note that the half turn of the filter once snug should preferably be done by hand.

I put the used oil through the lawnmower, what's left goes to either a chainsaw or to my dad who puts it through his tractor. Then he puts it through his lawnmower, then through his chainsaw.

tajar96 said:   For all your DIYers, how do you dispose the used oil ?

Most places that sell oil (including Pep Boys, AutoZone, WalMart Auto etc) also take used oil back for recycling.
Personally I take the used oil to AutoZone. Just go to the counter and tell them that you want to bring used oil.

I suggest you to use disposable containers (e.g. "original" bottles from oil or other cans you can just give to them). Usually they will pour the oil out into special recycling containers themselves later, making it much easier for you. If you bring lots of it (I brought 20 1-gal bottles one time, since I was too lazy to go there after the last 2 oil changes), they may make you pour those out into that tank, and it will take a little while

Also - do not store used oil in empty milk jugs, as oil will eat through those in time (unless you take it to AutoZone etc quickly). Use transparent 1 gal bottles from orange juice instead. But if you bring used oil the same day, milk jugs should work too.

5 gal gas can for my waste oil. Pours nice and clean

tajar96 said:   Thanks folks. Worth asking my local Tires Plus or Pep Boys. I don't mind doing oil changes myself, need to learn now. Any good links ?

http://cockeyed.com/lessons/change_oil/oil_change1.html

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014