• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
With Promo Code: EMCYTZT2717 may require you to subscribe to their email deal newsletter.

This is not the cheapest 1TB drive in its class, but many people, including my humble self, think this is the highest performance and best quality consumer 1TB 7200 RPM drive. This is the cheapest I've seen this drive since the floods in Thailand. Has the longest warranty of any spinning drive - 5 years.

Deal expires at 11:59pm PT on 12/31/2012.

Linky

Member Summary

Western Digital WD1002FAEX
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Sorry but the new single platter ST1000DM003 benchmarks blow that one away.HD Tune ST1000DM003 It only has a 2 year warranty, but if you are just looking for performance, then this is the 1tb drive you want.
Click Here To Buy EMCJHHB24 Use this code for $10 off, so the final price is $69 EMCJHHB24 So it is actually $10 cheaper too.
Of course the 3tb version is even faster ST3000DM001.
If you want the best performance, you should really be using an SSD for your OS drive.
Get a 60gb Sata 3 SSD and put your Operating System on it and then get one of these drives for everything else.

reply to the "Better" drive

I will never trust another seagate product. Just had another die this weekend past. they are a waste.

sneuman said:   Sorry but the new single platter ST1000DM003 benchmarks blow that one away.HD Tune ST1000DM003

The Seagate has superior sequential reads in synthetic benchmarks, but has woeful latency. In real world performance reading and writing small and medium size files spread across the disk and handling multiple simultaneous requests, this WD is only matched by the 2TB version and enterprise versions. No, it is not an SSD nor is it 15k RPM velociraptor.

jimmybgood Post some benchmarks of 4k IOPS or whatever you like, but I am not going to just take your word for it.
The access times are about the same for both drives.
As a reseller I know lots of people have had drives fail, and many people have a favorite brand.
But which brand they like and which brand has failed is pretty much a toss up.
Overall though I think hard drive quality has gone down recently.
Scott

jimmybgood said:   With Promo Code: EMCYTZT2717 may require you to subscribe to their email deal newsletter.

This is not the cheapest 1TB drive in its class, but many people, including my humble self, think this is the highest performance and best quality consumer 1TB 7200 RPM drive. This is the cheapest I've seen this drive since the floods in Thailand. Has the longest warranty of any spinning drive - 5 years.

Deal expires at 11:59pm PT on 12/31/2012.

Linky

Hope your right. I just bought two of these today at Microcenter for $89.99 each.

NM

I manage about 400 spindles on our SAN at work. A total of about 450 TB of useable storage (after RAID and hot spare overhead). We've got mixture of SSD, 15k SAS, 10k SAS, 7.2k NL-SAS drives in a 4 tier architecture. with HD from Seagate, WD, Toshiba, Hitachi. The highest to lowest failure rate is Seagate, Toshiba, WD, Hitachi in that order.
48 of the 400 spindles are hitachi drives that are part of the original deployment from nearly 5 years ago, and only 2 of those have failed over the 5 year period. While the majority are seagate drives (about 250 of them, various size/speed/model), we see about 1 to 2 seagate drives fail per month. all of the seagate drives were added within the last year, so they're all pretty new, and recently models.

I would stay away from seagate drives if an alternative is available. Since we buy SAN drives from a major manufacturer, we don't have a choice what the manufacturer of the disks we receive are. Luckily with RAID redundancy, hot spares, and off-site replicas, we don't have to worry too much about data loss. And the SAN manufacturer warranties all the drives as long as we have a maintenance plan on the SAN. so they'll keep replacing those seagate drives that keeps failing.

awww, *snap*...wish i'd seen this last night. need one of these :/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014