• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Have been researching TRUE Windows based (not RT!) tablets and came up with this one. This model has no keyboard and only 32GB onboard. Seems to be the least expensive true Windows 8 tablet for those PC users that need to run an assortment of Windows based utilities, etc.

Microsoft Store Link

Member Summary

ACER W510 (5.86kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Acer

That's the regular price, how is that hot?

It seems that the "regular price" in all other retailers is $549? Please delete this topic if I am incorrect.

Yeah, it's the regular price (at least for the Microsoft store). Black Friday/Cyber Monday pricing was $399.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1237955/

Would have been a great price at $399... and yes, that IS the price ($499) at the Microsoft store.. but it seems when I query any of the "price grabbing" sites... all other vendors have it at $549.

Not sure what you're suggesting?

Should we not post a "best deal" if it is the "regular price" on a site, yet below all other prices?

Nobody said it was a FANTASTIC deal... just the "best" deal right now.

Once again, I apologize if I am "abusing" fatwallet, but thought this was an appropriate post.

Check out the Asus Vivo tab Smart. 10.1 screen, windows 8, 64 GB hdd, 2 GB ram, and the ad sounds as if it will come with protective keyboard sleeve for $499 pre order at abt.com.

Fantastic!

Yes, this looks like a "better" deal (as far as having 64gb versus 32gb). I believe the text description of the "protective keyboard" may be incorrect as that seems to be an option?

lyles3 said:   Check out the Asus Vivo tab Smart. 10.1 screen, windows 8, 64 GB hdd, 2 GB ram, and the ad sounds as if it will come with protective keyboard sleeve for $499 pre order at abt.com.

This is exactly what the op doesnt want. Its window rt not really full window.

tuan2 said:   lyles3 said:   Check out the Asus Vivo tab Smart. 10.1 screen, windows 8, 64 GB hdd, 2 GB ram, and the ad sounds as if it will come with protective keyboard sleeve for $499 pre order at abt.com.

This is exactly what the op doesnt want. Its window rt not really full window.

Pretty sure that's a full Windows 8 system running an ATOM processor.

I think this is the ASUS being referred to ASUS VivoTab. It's also available for pre-order and J&R

Thanks tuan2.

Actually, and quite interesting, is that ASUS Vivo SMART (that's the important part) is actually running Windows 8 (not RT)... but is not available as yet ("coming soon" on most sites). There has already been some videos of the "unboxing" and demonstrating the unit and it looks like it is worth the wait (versus the ACER). The main difference is the manufacturer (of course) and the extra 32gb.

I believe the abt ad is incorrectly suggesting it comes with a keyboard, as the base price gives you nada.... just the tablet. There is a unique magnetic stand/cover that is available and also a bluetooth keyboard (that seems NOT to attach to the unit)

I actually picked it up for $399 when they had it on special.
this is NO deal!!!

Per Abt sales rep, the price includes the protective sleeve keyboard. Not projected to arrive until 28 Jan. You can reserve with 20% down payment.

Purchased last week from microcenter for $399. Having problems installing games like Solitare.

Nasshea,
Did you have a coupon to get that price?

Update (for those that happened upon this topic for purposes of getting some feedback about the unit/price):

Considering ASUS Vivo SMART still not available, actually went through with the purchase of the ACER. For anyone interested in having an "inexpensive" Windows 8 (NOT RT) tablet, here is some feedback:

1) As mentioned before it seems that Microsofts price is less than any other vendor I can find on the web (seems they all sell the 32gb unit for $549)
2) Unit has worked flawlessly with all "legacy" (older) windows programs, and acts/performs as though it is a desktop/laptop device (as far as compatibility). Suprisingly responsive processing, and multitasking with Windows8 is actually very intuitive.
3) The units are available with or without a keyboard ($499-$549 price is for the tablet sans keyboard - 32GB), and THIS (keyboard) seems to be the only issue. Not sure if this keyboard has been re-engineered, but looking at the Acer user forums, this keyboard had major problems with the touchpad, and created eratic behavior of the unit. It seems Acer was "out of stock" on their site for a while, but now it seems to be available again. I have not seen any "takers" that have attempted to order this "new-stock" keyboard to see if the issues have been resolved.
4) For those fatwallet guys that think it's crazy to spend $150 for a keyboard, a simple solution is to purchase a faux leather USB keyboard/case available for under $20.00 from Amazon or ?. Works like a charm. Opted for USB, although bluetooth style keyboards should work, as with USB you only have to worry about charging the tablet, and not the keyboard.

Oh, and of COURSE, if you were one of the lucky ones to grab it at $399... that was OBVIOUSLY a better price... but to suggest that a CURRENT price is not a good deal because some time in the past it was available at a better price.... only seems logical if traveling back in time was a natural occuring phenomena.

I rest my case.

This surely should end this topic.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014