• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
I'm speculating right now on an issue that has been mentioned in another thread regarding the avery binders.

I checked my rewards listing from last year and compared it to the listing that i purchased on 12/30. Though the website is very intimidating with the "Limit 4 per mailing address" suggesting a total of 4 until the end of the promotion, the listing on my rewards for sunday's purchase has it as "100% back Avery Heavy-Duty View Binders 12_30_12"

I guess we'll see on sunday and will have to wait for 3-4 days to find out what's the listing for the binders after purchase. Hopefully, it's a weekly listing with maybe '100% back Avery Heavy-Duty View Binders 01_06_13'

VivYip said:   I'm speculating right now on an issue that has been mentioned in another thread regarding the avery binders.

I checked my rewards listing from last year and compared it to the listing that i purchased on 12/30. Though the website is very intimidating with the "Limit 4 per mailing address" suggesting a total of 4 until the end of the promotion, the listing on my rewards for sunday's purchase has it as "100% back Avery Heavy-Duty View Binders 12_30_12"

I guess we'll see on sunday and will have to wait for 3-4 days to find out what's the listing for the binders after purchase. Hopefully, it's a weekly listing with maybe '100% back Avery Heavy-Duty View Binders 01_06_13'

FWIW, someone over on SD contacted Rewards customer service and the rep stated limit 4 per week.

FOLKS: YOU NEED TO SPEND $50 ON HP INKS TO QUALITY FOR THE 3X Staples REWARD!

"Spend $50 on HP ink in one transaction and earn $6 back in Staples Rewards® per recycled cartridge on same day of qualifying purchase."

bpvh said:   VivYip said:   I'm speculating right now on an issue that has been mentioned in another thread regarding the avery binders.

FWIW, someone over on SD contacted Rewards customer service and the rep stated limit 4 per week.

that may be, but you're best to get it in writing. Staples customer service reps often misstate or simply don't know the right answers. Saying "you spoke" to someone "who told you" if the rewards don't show up, is unfortunately, not sufficent to get them to help you if there's a problem.

My personal take is, it probably is a new batch for next week, but I for one wouldn't count on a phone conversation to back up a screw up.

MISTERCHEAP said:   bpvh said:   VivYip said:   I'm speculating right now on an issue that has been mentioned in another thread regarding the avery binders.

that may be, but you're best to get it in writing. Staples customer service reps often misstate or simply don't know the right answers. Saying "you spoke" to someone "who told you" if the rewards don't show up, is unfortunately, not sufficent to get them to help you if there's a problem.

My personal take is, it probably is a new batch for next week, but I for one wouldn't count on a phone conversation to back up a screw up.

Hence the "FWIW".

MISTERCHEAP said:   bpvh said:   VivYip said:   I'm speculating right now on an issue that has been mentioned in another thread regarding the avery binders.

Actually, it was two people and they posted their chat. 4 per week just like last year.

jd2010 said:   I asked this in the other thread but it got locked. Does anyone show as being Premier on staplesrewardscenter.com who clearly shouldnt be? I spent nowhere near 1k in 2012, and everything on the dashboard shows premier, including being able to recycle 20 carts. I assume its a glitch that will correct itself but curious if others see same thing.

Same with me. Did not have the spend to qualify. Will wait and see. thanks

freakinout said:   maybe the double double will be last week of monthThat would be great, since that week spans two months!

optical said:   FOLKS: YOU NEED TO SPEND $50 ON HP INKS TO QUALITY FOR THE 3X Staples REWARD!

"Spend $50 on HP ink in one transaction and earn $6 back in Staples Rewards® per recycled cartridge on same day of qualifying purchase."
Hasn't that been said all along? Did you think you could just bring in 5 cartridges and get triple rewards? The ink purchase was clearly part of the discussion comparing the triple deal to the double/double. If you could just get the reward without any purchase, it would be a no-brainer to do it.

I goofed up & bought too much ink last time. Don't ask. What's the return policy on ink...14 or 30 days?

TheGMan said:   I goofed up & bought too much ink last time. Don't ask. What's the return policy on ink...14 or 30 days?Ink and Toner Cartridges

Unopened and unexpired ink or toner cartridges, currently carried in our U.S. Stores, may be returned at any time for a full refund.

from shelves at store
Disclaimer
FWIW, I don't have 2 phone conversations with customer service, but I went to the store and was able to take a picture. Hopefully, it should work to verify(?) that it's 4/week

VivYip said:   FWIW, I don't have 2 phone conversations with customer service, but I went to the store and was able to take a picture. Hopefully, it should work to verify(?) that it's 4/weekThat looks pretty conclusive to me!

Hey guys, I'm brand new at this, can you tell me if this plan makes sense?

My goal is to make money and also make premier asap, since I obviously do not have it from last year.

Last week- bought 2 photo paper and 1 thing of regular paper with -$25 coupon. Will make a few bucks and beginning the march to $1000.

This (coming up) week- buy 4 packs of the larger size photo paper. Split it into 2 separate purchases and use the $5 off coupon from last week twice (I'll bring two of them). This will net me a couple of bucks, and get me $60 closer to premier. Then in a 3rd purchase (will they let me ring up 3 times?) I can buy anything I want that is free after reward (the file boxes might be worth the tax for me). I skip the 3x recycling because I don't have a good coupon or any use for the ink.

Then if I feel like it now or later, I try and eBay or craigslist my photopaper, hopefully as a lot. Best shipping option is probably flat rate box?

So for those of you that have been at this a while, next week will you use the photo paper as an opportunity to cash out your reward checks?

Please point out any mistakes I'm making.

Peace.

oh yeah...for those who for whatever reason want to reduce the out of pocket cost, if a person has the Staples mobile app, a check-in coupon has "50% off binder purchase of $20 or more" showed up for me, so YMMV on that.

dbl118 said:   Last week- bought 2 photo paper and 1 thing of regular paper with -$25 coupon. Will make a few bucks and beginning the march to $1000.

This (coming up) week- buy 4 packs of the larger size photo paper. Split it into 2 separate purchases and use the $5 off coupon from last week twice (I'll bring two of them). This will net me a couple of bucks, and get me $60 closer to premier.
You only earn "Premier spend" for pre-tax OOP. Coupons ,rewards, etc. do not count.

dbl118 said:   ..My goal is to make money and also make premier asap, since I obviously do not have it from last year...Making money and making premier asap cannot necessarily be done at the same time. Keep in mind that once you make premier you are really only adding $240 potential by virtue of being able to recycle another 10x$2 per month. Making money via Staples usually requires constant application of coupons to purchases to pay the sales tax/etc. Anyone can do that without being premier. If you want to make premier asap then buy every last 100% rewards item. That will get you to premier quicker but those rewards do not count for premier once you go to spend them. IF you were planning to buy something like a laptop/etc in the near future using those rewards on that purchase, then it would make sense to accelerate the rewards purchases now to to get to premier quicker. Making premier quickly is more of a struggle in some years than requalifying for premier due to product offerings. This year has started out slow for high value rebate items.

optical said:   FOLKS: YOU NEED TO SPEND $50 ON HP INKS TO QUALITY FOR THE 3X Staples REWARD!

Yea, this was discussed on the first page of this thread

freakinout said:   

But isn't the double/double and triple predicated on you buying HP ink? I don't have an HP printer so I've never looked too closely at these deals, but always felt like I was missing something?

bpvh said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   bpvh said:   VivYip said:   I'm speculating right now on an issue that has been mentioned in another thread regarding the avery binders.

Hence the "FWIW".

Bpvh,

yes, I did see that, but others who are not as savvy with the rewards program may not have absorbed that aspect. But as Mathfaster and the photo post show, looks like the 4 is PER WEEK, not per run of the rewards offer.

mathfaster said:   dbl118 said:   ..My goal is to make money and also make premier asap, since I obviously do not have it from last year...Making money and making premier asap cannot necessarily be done at the same time. Keep in mind that once you make premier you are really only adding $240 potential by virtue of being able to recycle another 10x$2 per month. Making money via Staples usually requires constant application of coupons to purchases to pay the sales tax/etc. Anyone can do that without being premier. If you want to make premier asap then buy every last 100% rewards item. That will get you to premier quicker but those rewards do not count for premier once you go to spend them. IF you were planning to buy something like a laptop/etc in the near future using those rewards on that purchase, then it would make sense to accelerate the rewards purchases now to to get to premier quicker. Making premier quickly is more of a struggle in some years than requalifying for premier due to product offerings. This year has started out slow for high value rebate items.

Thanks, but I consider premier worth more. For starters, I would get a bonus year (2014) automatically. Also it allows me to take advantage of the double double promotions which make buying ink possibly profitable, which in turn makes getting premier the next year even easier. The main benefit in my mind though is extending the time to use my rewards. I think that would streamline the whole process for me and save time as well as increasing my comfort of gathering a large pile of reward points.

As I understand it, buying reward items is only the right move if you think they have value at the cost of tax, but then, as long as you feel confident you'll be able to cash out that money via future rebates, there is no reason not to buy them. If I spend money on reward items, I can't spend that money on rebate items a couple months later, so it's mostly a wash.

dbl118 said:   I consider premier worth more. For starters, I would get a bonus year (2014) automatically. Also it allows me to take advantage of the double double promotions which make buying ink possibly profitable, which in turn makes getting premier the next year even easier. The main benefit in my mind though is extending the time to use my rewards. I think that would streamline the whole process for me and save time as well as increasing my comfort of gathering a large pile of reward points.

As I understand it, buying reward items is only the right move if you think they have value at the cost of tax, but then, as long as you feel confident you'll be able to cash out that money via future rebates, there is no reason not to buy them. If I spend money on reward items, I can't spend that money on rebate items a couple months later, so it's mostly a wash.

- you will get 2014 regardless of when in 2013 you make Premier
- next year's Premier will be easier regardless because you will have a full year to achieve it
- buying ink is generally not profitable unless you can use it yourself. that by itself is no reason to rush to Premier
- extending the time to use rewards is definitely desirable, but again, not a good enough reason to rush matters
- most importantly, the biggest difference between spending a ton of money on FARewards and FARebates is this: with rebates, you get a number of checks, which you can cash out. with rewards, you will get ONE large voucher which, no matter how much "extra" time you have, you can break only once.

aarzi said:   
with rewards, you will get ONE large voucher which, no matter how much "extra" time you have, you can break only once.

Can the above statement regarding rewards be clarified? For example in October, I earned $44 rewards that were paid out with two certificates in November: one for $24 and the other for $20. In November, I earned $28 in rewards that were paid out with two certificates in December: one for $18 and the other for $10. This contradicts the statement saying that you get one voucher. How does Staples work it with giving out rewards vouchers? In January, I'll be over $100. I certainly wouldn't be too happy getting one voucher, but the past two months would seem to indicate to me that I won't be getting one large one. Can a rewards expert explain how this actually works?

DealMavenGuru said:   aarzi said:   
with rewards, you will get ONE large voucher which, no matter how much "extra" time you have, you can break only once.

Can the above statement regarding rewards be clarified? For example in October, I earned $44 rewards that were paid out with two certificates in November: one for $24 and the other for $20. In November, I earned $28 in rewards that were paid out with two certificates in December: one for $18 and the other for $10. This contradicts the statement saying that you get one voucher. How does Staples work it with giving out rewards vouchers? In January, I'll be over $100. I certainly wouldn't be too happy getting one voucher, but the past two months would seem to indicate to me that I won't be getting one large one. Can a rewards expert explain how this actually works?
What Aarzi posted is generally true with AFAIK one exception. When you buy batteries they seem to split the rewards checks. Most months if you do not have batteries in your rewards mix you get one large check. Did your October and November rewards consist of battery rewards? We are talking about what Staples refers to as the monthly rewards check as being ONE check. As freakinout indicated in the next post, Staples always separates out the monthly rewards check from the ink recycling rewards check.

DealMavenGuru said:   aarzi said:   

When you say you earned $44 in rewards and got two checks, one for $24 and one for $20, was it because you recycled 10 cartridges that month ( the $20 reward)? Rewards for recycling are ALWAS separate from others, even from ink purchased. I am premiere so I get two "checks" each month, one is usually $40 (ink carts) and the other is for any qualifying purchases. Every once in awhile there is some special event that they separate out into a third, but for me that almost never happens(once or twice a year), though for others it seems to happen a little more often

VivYip said:   FWIW, I don't have 2 phone conversations with customer service, but I went to the store and was able to take a picture. Hopefully, it should work to verify(?) that it's 4/week

Does anyone know if the per week applies to the Staples Portable file box? I bought two of the letter boxes from last week. Are these even the same offer or are these different boxes?

Not the exact item but this is a portable file box
Disclaimer

last week's legal/letter boxes
Disclaimer
MrOracle said:   VivYip said:   FWIW, I don't have 2 phone conversations with customer service, but I went to the store and was able to take a picture. Hopefully, it should work to verify(?) that it's 4/week

Does anyone know if the per week applies to the Staples Portable file box? I bought two of the letter boxes from last week. Are these even the same offer or are these different boxes?

If its the same as last year, the legal/letter boxes last week were plastic boxes w/ removable lids and the portable file boxes (this week) are boxes w/ hinged lids and handles. Completely different products.

VivYip said:   Sorry if this is a repost...

FARewards (limit 2 unless otherwise stated...as far as I know, only the binders are available online...everything is in-store only)
Bankers' boxes sku: 370189
Avery® heavy duty view binders (limit 4)
Staples® portable file box

YMMV on those...checked 5 zips around me and found nothing

aarzi said:   
- most importantly, the biggest difference between spending a ton of money on FARewards and FARebates is this: with rebates, you get a number of checks, which you can cash out. with rewards, you will get ONE large voucher which, no matter how much "extra" time you have, you can break only once.

In the past (last year), the Rewards chat people were willing to split a large voucher. The only drawback was that you couldn't get the codes on the spot, they had to mail paper vouchers. Has anyone tried it lately?

buckle box
Disclaimer
I'm cashing out Rewards and I like "buckle" storage boxes-- mice can't open The Buckle.
1 photo paper $14.99
1 copy paper $6.99
1 buckle storage box $5
$26.98 - $5/$25. No sales tax since paying w/ Rewards.
$21.98 oop and get back $18.98 so $3 for the box.

Will do that twice then buy 2 photo paper in one transaction for $24.98 in Rewards, get back $27.98. $3 MM which means my net is $3 for 2 buckle boxes. Regular price for the boxes is $13.49 ea. No sales tax. Yeah I could have had $2 MM on transactions w/o the boxes but I like the boxes and this is a great price.

aarzi said:   

Well, the voucher itself can be broken once, but I would like to clarify that the vouchers that I've seen (larger than $20) are usually "sent" to the rewards member split into 2.

For example, i purchased $47.52 in batteries. My rewards came out in the following manner:

1 $20 rewards cert/coupon/voucher
1 $27.52 rewards cert/coupon/voucher

A person can split each voucher once (ins-tore only). So, from above, I could've used it on a total of 4 purchases.

I have also had another receipt rewards coupon print out due to a return...but I wouldn't want to test the concept out often. (The store might hate you for returning things individually just to get receipt rewards printed out. I also don't know if it's still possible since the one time it happened to me was in 2010 or 2011 and I think the Staples (cash register) system was different then)

For myself, I think there will be 1 $100 voucher and the remainder on another. I told the CS I wish they could split the certs into more manageable amounts because "spending" that all in one transaction is a bit daunting (for me, at least)

update: sorry, I only scanned through others' replies...and for me, if a person looked at the "redeemed rewards" section of staplesrewards, january and february tend to be larger vouchers (one nice round number - 10/20/50/100, one leftover)...it's not just because of batteries (it's more like the FARewards items probably are setup that way)

my4mainecoons said:   MrOracle said:   VivYip said:   FWIW, I don't have 2 phone conversations with customer service, but I went to the store and was able to take a picture. Hopefully, it should work to verify(?) that it's 4/week

If its the same as last year, the legal/letter boxes last week were plastic boxes w/ removable lids and the portable file boxes (this week) are boxes w/ hinged lids and handles. Completely different products.

At the store the sign for the Rewards says" Any storage box, Various SKUs" or something like that. So they might not consider it a different product. If they are 2 per week, than that would settle the issue.

well, there should not be any issues until maybe the week of 1/13 since that's when the boxes come back.

FWIW, the listing for the rewards inthe acocunt are "100% back Staples Letter_Legal Storage Tote" with no dates on it.

freakinout said:   
When you say you earned $44 in rewards and got two checks, one for $24 and one for $20, was it because you recycled 10 cartridges that month ( the $20 reward)?

No, they were for batteries which per another post apparently do get split out. So my follow up question is why is everybody so excited about all of the current FARewards going on now? It would be easy to run up a couple hundred dollars in January. Will there really be an opportunity from mid-February on (when those rewards are delivered) to be able to cash out all of it with FAR in a max of two transactions? It would seem to me that Staples should be encouraging more spending by making these more convenient to spend in the future. Which brings up the idea of what happens if I spend the rewards on one large item and then decide to return that item? Surely, my refund (which I presume would be some kind of store credit or gift card) won't be nearly as restrictive as the original rewards, right?

DealMavenGuru said:   freakinout said:   
When you say you earned $44 in rewards and got two checks, one for $24 and one for $20, was it because you recycled 10 cartridges that month ( the $20 reward)?

No, they were for batteries which per another post apparently do get split out. So my follow up question is why is everybody so excited about all of the current FARewards going on now? It would be easy to run up a couple hundred dollars in January. Will there really be an opportunity from mid-February on (when those rewards are delivered) to be able to cash out all of it with FAR in a max of two transactions? It would seem to me that Staples should be encouraging more spending by making these more convenient to spend in the future. Which brings up the idea of what happens if I spend the rewards on one large item and then decide to return that item? Surely, my refund (which I presume would be some kind of store credit or gift card) won't be nearly as restrictive as the original rewards, right?

We're "excited" because this is the only time all year that storage boxes & bankers boxes are free. The rest of the year its photo paper & copy paper. I guess the folks tracking binders have a use for binders. So that's exciting for them.
If you spend your reward check and return the item you get a coupon equivalent to the value of the Rewards used and it has the same expiration date as the original Rewards check. No gift card. Same restrictions as the original Reward.

my4mainecoons said:   
We're "excited" because this is the only time all year that storage boxes & bankers boxes are free. The rest of the year its photo paper & copy paper. I guess the folks tracking binders have a use for binders. So that's exciting for them.
If you spend your reward check and return the item you get a coupon equivalent to the value of the Rewards used and it has the same expiration date as the original Rewards check. No gift card. Same restrictions as the original Reward.

OK, I think I'm getting it now. I can take a very large reward check and use it for a FAR which will get a balance coupon. Then use that coupon for FAR and any other item(s). Simply return the remaining item(s) sometime afterward to get a balance coupon for that piece only. Effectively that legitimately breaks up a large rebate voucher into more than 2 transactions . Works for me. I agree the storage and bankers boxes are nice to have. I just wanted to make sure that the monetizing afterward would be doable. Thanks.

DealMavenGuru said:   my4mainecoons said:   

OK, I think I'm getting it now. I can take a very large reward check and use it for a FAR which will get a balance coupon. Then use that coupon for FAR and any other item(s). Simply return the remaining item(s) sometime afterward to get a balance coupon for that piece only. Effectively that legitimately breaks up a large rebate voucher into more than 2 transactions . Works for me. I agree the storage and bankers boxes are nice to have. I just wanted to make sure that the monetizing afterward would be doable. Thanks.
I ran into a problem with scenario a few days ago - didn't get a 2nd balance coupon after making a purchase with a balance coupon and then doing a return. The cashier was new and wrang up the original purchase w/o using the $5/$25; took about 20 minutes with a manager and he couldn't re-generate a balance coupon. His solution was writing the new balance amount on the back of the original balance coupon, signing and dating it. Didn't have a problem a few days later with a different cashier and manager.

Dano

my4mainecoons said:   DealMavenGuru said:   freakinout said:   

Except in Guru's scenario, he can't then break the new coupon.

my4mainecoons said:   MrOracle said:   VivYip said:   FWIW, I don't have 2 phone conversations with customer service, but I went to the store and was able to take a picture. Hopefully, it should work to verify(?) that it's 4/week

Not all the portable file boxes eligle this week for the 100% back in Rewards have hinged lids or even handles. For example: 866998 and 480368

The purchase I made on the morning of New Year's Day (in which I bought 4 free after rewards binders) is not showing up in the purchase detail yet. Has anyone had New Year's purchases show up yet?

MrVietnam said:   The purchase I made on the morning of New Year's Day (in which I bought 4 free after rewards binders) is not showing up in the purchase detail yet. Has anyone had New Year's purchases show up yet?I purchased on sunday (12/30) and had the purchases themselves only show up in the purchase history on friday...It's only today that my purchases were showing up in the "summary" section" with the headings and stuff. (So, it's maybe 4 days to show up? give it a little more time. (hoepfully it'll be smoother for the customer service by tuesday)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014