rated:

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

whey
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Just tried the 30% coupon and it doesn't work. I've seen 10 and 15% deals but never 30%.

Necromancer (Jan. 09, 2013 @ 2:47p) |

got mine in. Tastes great!

rwongsmu (Jan. 09, 2013 @ 8:17p) |

I saw that code elsewhere and immediatly tried ordering some things, but no go. I read somewhere that code was only for ... (more)

MeIsCheap (Jan. 09, 2013 @ 8:32p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Whey not?

yeah dude! I was about to post this. I had this in my cart at Amazon for a while now. It was $93.xx the other day, and a few weeks ago the high $98-$99s

I think Optimum is lowering their prices for the New Year because they know a lot of people will be joining gyms and will need protein.

thanks good price

sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

or shouldnt I compare them because they are apple and oranges?

thanks.

wiru

wiru said:   sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

thanks.

wiru

I can't comment on price as I don't have the current price(s) of MM in front of me. As for ON, it is a consistently high seller on BodyBuilding. One due to the price, and two due to most of the flavors. There are better, leaner protein powders out there but you will pay a much higher price. ON is a great "standard" whey protein. ON has some better proteins that they sell but like I said, the price is higher.

As for comparison to MM I'd say they are likely on the same page. I'd have to double check the ingredients (which is lower in sugar, calories, etc). For me personally MM has always been too sweet.

10lbs could last you awhile (depending on goals) but even if you didn't like it I would think you'd know someone that would buy it.

That's my .02. Good luck.

tallydawg said:   wiru said:   sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

thanks.

wiru

I can't comment on price as I don't have the current price(s) of MM in front of me. As for ON, it is a consistently high seller on BodyBuilding. One due to the price, and two due to most of the flavors. There are better, leaner protein powders out there but you will pay a much higher price. ON is a great "standard" whey protein. ON has some better proteins that they sell but like I said, the price is higher.

As for comparison to MM I'd say they are likely on the same page. I'd have to double check the ingredients (which is lower in sugar, calories, etc). For me personally MM has always been too sweet.

10lbs could last you awhile (depending on goals) but even if you didn't like it I would think you'd know someone that would buy it.

That's my .02. Good luck.

tallydawg, appreciate your valuable input. i think MM @ costco is a 5 lbs jar and goes around $40. I do read a lot of good things about ON. Thanks again for your reply.

Great price!

wiru said:   sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

thanks.

wiru

IMO, ON whey is head and shoulders above MM. Look at the comparison per serving:

Cals: MM-310 ON-120
Fat: MM-12g ON-1g
Carbs: MM-19g ON-3g
Protein:MM-32g ON-24g

Not all fat is bad fat, but fat slows digestion and absorption so your body doesn't absorb the protein(MM) when it really needs it because of the fat. At least not as fast as you will absorb the ON Whey. The only thing MM has going for it is the higher protein but you can take a serving and a half of ON and get the same protein while still being lower in carbs, cals, and fat. I guess if you're just drinking protein for the hell of it then buy whatever but ON Whey is a much better product.

dkite26 said:   wiru said:   sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

thanks.

wiru

IMO, ON whey is head and shoulders above MM. Look at the comparison per serving:

Not all fat is bad fat, but fat slows digestion and absorption so your body doesn't absorb the protein(MM) when it really needs it because of the fat. At least not as fast as you will absorb the ON Whey. The only thing MM has going for it is the higher protein but you can take a serving and a half of ON and get the same protein while still being lower in carbs, cals, and fat. I guess if you're just drinking protein for the hell of it then buy whatever but ON Whey is a much better product.

thanks dkite26, im sold. got me a 10 lb bag. thanks OP.

wiru

thanks.

wiru

Muscle milk has 4 different heavy metals in it, and are some of the highest levels tested among protein drinks. I always want to pick some up at Costco, but then remember I don't need any extra arsenic, cadmium, lead, or mercury.

Consumer reports article

Comsumer Reports said: The samples of Muscle Milk Chocolate powder we tested contained all four heavy metals, and levels of three metals in the product were among the highest of all in our tests. Average cadmium levels of 5.6 g in three daily servings slightly exceeded the USP limit of 5 g per day, and the average lead level of 13.5 g also topped the USP limit of 10 g per day. The average arsenic level of 12.2 g was approaching the USP limit of 15 g per day, and the average for mercury was 0.7 g, well below the USP's 15 g-per-day limit. Three daily servings of Muscle Milk Vanilla Crme contained 12.2 g of lead, exceeding lead limits, and 11.2 g of arsenic. A fourth product, Muscle Milk Nutritional Shake Chocolate (liquid), provided an average of 14.3 g of arsenic per day from three servings, approaching the proposed USP limit.

I got some beef-based protein shots in a GNC deal after Christmas, and I am surprisingly happy with the taste (Power Punch flavor) & contents. Nice to not always have to cook some kind of fish or meet after working out. I wouldn't pay full price, but for 50grams of protein @ $1.50 a bottle (on sale), it is hard to beat.

I just bought this for $98 back in November. This is now 2-4 week shipping time, so it works for me. Not so much if you want your order fast.

don't "waist" your time with this whey deal, it's back up to 97.XX.....what a crock

rickjacobson said:   don't "waist" your time with this whey deal, it's back up to 97.XX.....what a crock

Look under "More Buying Options"

dkite26 said:   wiru said:   sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

thanks.

wiru

What you did is the commonly used and wrong way to decide on which protein supplement is best bang for your buck. Serving size can be manipulated by the manufacturer and have sometimes require you to do 2 or 3 scoops which would set it up to be over 50g of protein per "serving".

The way to look at it is to look at how many grams there are in a serving and then divide how much protein in grams you get per serving.

ON brand of protein usually yields about 80% at best of protein per serving (24 grams of protein per 30 gram serving size).

Lower quality brands like at Wal-Mart and other retail stores usually are 60-70%. Sometimes as little as 50%.

Higher quality brands (yes ON is by far NOT the best protein brand - just the most popular) can get yields over 92%. I've used brands that had 27 grams of protein per 29 gram serving. You pay more but that is one way to do it.

Another way is to simply multiply how much protein there is per serving by the servings value and get how much it cost per GRAM of protein. For ON, it is usually something like:

24 grams per serving x 140 servings (for 10lbs bag) = 3,360 grams of protein per bag --> $90 bag / 3,360 grams of protein = $0.0267/gram per protein.

You want to stay under 3 cents per gram.

In the end eggs are superior where you can get a dozen for $1. A dozen eggs has about 72 grams of protein. Calculating it out you get $0.0139/gram per protein.

MeIsCheap said:   wiru said:   sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

thanks.

wiru

Muscle milk has 4 different heavy metals in it, and are some of the highest levels tested among protein drinks. I always want to pick some up at Costco, but then remember I don't need any extra arsenic, cadmium, lead, or mercury.

Consumer reports article

Comsumer Reports said: The samples of Muscle Milk Chocolate powder we tested contained all four heavy metals, and levels of three metals in the product were among the highest of all in our tests. Average cadmium levels of 5.6 g in three daily servings slightly exceeded the USP limit of 5 g per day, and the average lead level of 13.5 g also topped the USP limit of 10 g per day. The average arsenic level of 12.2 g was approaching the USP limit of 15 g per day, and the average for mercury was 0.7 g, well below the USP's 15 g-per-day limit. Three daily servings of Muscle Milk Vanilla Crme contained 12.2 g of lead, exceeding lead limits, and 11.2 g of arsenic. A fourth product, Muscle Milk Nutritional Shake Chocolate (liquid), provided an average of 14.3 g of arsenic per day from three servings, approaching the proposed USP limit.

I got some beef-based protein shots in a GNC deal after Christmas, and I am surprisingly happy with the taste (Power Punch flavor) & contents. Nice to not always have to cook some kind of fish or meet after working out. I wouldn't pay full price, but for 50grams of protein @ $1.50 a bottle (on sale), it is hard to beat.

thanks MeIsCheap, interesting report. i've always wanted metals in my diet, lol.

wiru

To clarify:

The MM at Costco is a basic whey (possible blend, dont remember for sure), similar to the ON whey. The MM at costco is NOT the regular muscle milk that we all know. Its just a basic protein that is branded with the MM trademark.

How does ON compare to Now Whey Isolate ? I would think Now Whey Isolate is much pure when compared to ON whey.

Necromancer said:   dkite26 said:   wiru said:   sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

thanks.

wiru

What you did is the commonly used and wrong way to decide on which protein supplement is best bang for your buck. Serving size can be manipulated by the manufacturer and have sometimes require you to do 2 or 3 scoops which would set it up to be over 50g of protein per "serving".

The way to look at it is to look at how many grams there are in a serving and then divide how much protein in grams you get per serving.

ON brand of protein usually yields about 80% at best of protein per serving (24 grams of protein per 30 gram serving size).

Lower quality brands like at Wal-Mart and other retail stores usually are 60-70%. Sometimes as little as 50%.

Higher quality brands (yes ON is by far NOT the best protein brand - just the most popular) can get yields over 92%. I've used brands that had 27 grams of protein per 29 gram serving. You pay more but that is one way to do it.

Another way is to simply multiply how much protein there is per serving by the servings value and get how much it cost per GRAM of protein. For ON, it is usually something like:

24 grams per serving x 140 servings (for 10lbs bag) = 3,360 grams of protein per bag --> $90 bag / 3,360 grams of protein = $0.0267/gram per protein.

You want to stay under 3 cents per gram.

In the end eggs are superior where you can get a dozen for $1. A dozen eggs has about 72 grams of protein. Calculating it out you get $0.0139/gram per protein.

My comparison wasn't a "bang for your buck" comparison anyway. Simply the performance side of the two proteins. If you're only shopping by price per gram then you're wasting your time and money.

Yes, the price matters but if the ingredients are crap then who cares how cheap it is?

i63Aps said:   How does ON compare to Now Whey Isolate ? I would think Now Whey Isolate is much pure when compared to ON whey.

I just took a quick glance at it, and it looks to be a more pure form of whey. It doesn't have any sucralose, aspartame, or added sugars. With that said, I wouldn't expect it to taste near as good as ON, and you may even have to mix with something other than water to make it taste good enough to drink repeatedly. Just guessing though. I've never tried the NOW brand.

i63Aps said:   How does ON compare to Now Whey Isolate ? I would think Now Whey Isolate is much pure when compared to ON whey.

I just took a quick glance at it, and it looks to be a more pure form of whey. It doesn't have any sucralose, aspartame, or added sugars. With that said, I wouldn't expect it to taste near as good as ON, and you may even have to mix with something other than water to make it taste good enough to drink repeatedly. Just guessing though. I've never tried the NOW brand.

dkite26 said:   
My comparison wasn't a "bang for your buck" comparison anyway. Simply the performance side of the two proteins. If you're only shopping by price per gram then you're wasting your time and money.

Yes, the price matters but if the ingredients are crap then who cares how cheap it is?

By rule the ingredients cannot be 'crap' if both the protein ratio is high and/or the price/gram is low. To get a high protein ratio, the ingredients would have to be mostly or all whey isolate at a minimum. You cannot hit the high 80% range with concentrate protein. That is where all the fat, cholesterol, and sugars come from.

As for price/gram, I was saying buying in bulk is ideal to get this lowest.

In the end, what brand of protein you use will show little to no difference in performance or results. That will be mainly from diet, routine, and rest.

Now Whey Isolate is superior but that doesn't mean you will see any difference. It is about 10% more pure than ON.

ON is more of an average protein and is a blend of concentrate and isolate. It depends on your goals, budget, and expectations.

If I were cutting for a competition, I would stay away from 100% ON and get a more pure form or get another brand that has isolate products like Now.

This is a good deal.

Just FYI.
1-) When doing compassion compare cost_per_kg*(total_weight/protein_weight)
2-)I prefer liquid beef protein on GNC. After GNC Card + B3G1 free deal They are around $2 (50 gram). A little more expensive but you can get a shot right after workout.
3-)Best hassle free @right cost/quality blender I've found is Ninja BL204. I got it for $60..Single serve cups rock.Clean up time is 1/10 of a regular blender jar
4-)Other than random deals, best protein powder per unit protein weight is Muscle FX Hydrobolic based on my experience.Add it to your watch list as well.

kiteguru said:   This is a good deal.

Just FYI.
1-) When doing compassion compare cost_per_kg*(total_weight/protein_weight)
2-)I prefer liquid beef protein on GNC. After GNC Card + B3G1 free deal They are around $2 (50 gram). A little more expensive but you can get a shot right after workout.
3-)Best hassle free @right cost/quality blender I've found is Ninja BL204. I got it for $60..Single serve cups rock.Clean up time is 1/10 of a regular blender jar
4-)Other than random deals, best protein powder per unit protein weight is Muscle FX Hydrobolic based on my experience.Add it to your watch list as well.

Agree on #4.

MeIsCheap said:   wiru said:   sorry rookie here. how does this compare to muscle milk like at costco? both performance wise and price wise?

thanks.

wiru

Consumer reports article

Thanks for the link to the report from 2010. It would be more interesting if a substitute was recommended that was tested and found safe. Unfortunately that link does not give information on which protein sources tested at or below acceptable levels. It also is not clear that the MM tested is the same as sold at Costco.

And if heavy metals are a concern, read up on this from 2012: Aresenic in rice products

Necromancer said:   dkite26 said:   

By rule the ingredients cannot be 'crap' if both the protein ratio is high and/or the price/gram is low. To get a high protein ratio, the ingredients would have to be mostly or all whey isolate at a minimum. You cannot hit the high 80% range with concentrate protein. That is where all the fat, cholesterol, and sugars come from.

As for price/gram, I was saying buying in bulk is ideal to get this lowest.

In the end, what brand of protein you use will show little to no difference in performance or results. That will be mainly from diet, routine, and rest.

I know how you meant what you said earlier. You're right the product can't be crap if the ratio is right, and buying in bulk is the way to go. I was just making the point that price per gram isn't all that matters. Trying to educate anyone that wants to learn about what they're buying. That's all.

thanks, have not seen this in a while.

Where can you get pure non-denatured whey protein on Amazon? I want 100% quality whey protein with no other ingredients that doesn't smell funny or have a bad taste. Is it even available? I am willing to pay a premium for this.

anyone know what the shelf life is on this?

I remember a few years back I would buy 10 lbs for $50 or $60, I didn't realize the price went up so much. ON makes the best Whey Protein IMO, the quality is good and it has a decent taste.

Thanks, I picked up some. I typically do the Amazon Subscribe and Save on the 5LB version of Optimum's 100% whey, but the price has shot up over the past year from under $40 for 5lbs to over $50.

In terms of protein comparisons, I've tried many and the two I alternate between are the NOW Whey Isolate and the ON 100% Whey. I've been completely satisfied with both. They both seem to offer very good quality, with good value, and without all the fillers that go into cheaper protein powders.

if your unsure about a 10 lb bag you can always get dtymatize gourmet twinpacks (2x5 lb)at fit rx for under$75 ussually have some sort of FS code and you can get 2 diff flavors and a bucket for easier storage

Anybody looking to change it up should check out Syntrax Nectar (I prefer the fuzzy navel flavor). Its 100% isolate and not much else. Tastes like fruit juice. I get bored of all the typical creamy protein flavors, so this stuff is amazing.

Necromancer said:   i63Aps said:   How does ON compare to Now Whey Isolate ? I would think Now Whey Isolate is much pure when compared to ON whey.

Now Whey Isolate is superior but that doesn't mean you will see any difference. It is about 10% more pure than ON.

ON is more of an average protein and is a blend of concentrate and isolate. It depends on your goals, budget, and expectations.

If I were cutting for a competition, I would stay away from 100% ON and get a more pure form or get another brand that has isolate products like Now.

Thanks ! I was using ON for over 2 yrs then changed to NOW whey isolate because I was a able to get whey isolate cheaper than ON's regular whey. Now whey isolate has a pretty decent taste.

It's now $107.99.

miester said:   It's now $107.99.

No, the deal is still $83.25 shipped. The deal is *NOT EXPIRED* (at least not as of 6:30pm Pacific Time, 1/4/13). Look on the right under "More Buying Choices." You'll see that you can purchase it from Amazon.com for $83.25 shipped.

ohhenry1 said:   miester said:   It's now $107.99.

No, the deal is still $83.25 shipped. The deal is *NOT EXPIRED* (at least not as of 6:30pm Pacific Time, 1/4/13). Look on the right under "More Buying Choices." You'll see that you can purchase it from Amazon.com for $83.25 shipped.

Works perfect. It does say that it will take 2-3 weeks to ship so if you need it asap look elsewhere. Otherwise it saves you about 20-30 dollars off the normal price.

This might be a derpy question but when and why did whey get so expensive. I transitioned from BodyBuilding to cycling a few years ago (nice to be able to buy clothes that fit now) and haven't bought any for a long time.

Skipping 7 Messages...
Necromancer said:   ashok37 said:   Didn't want to start a new thread / uproar, but for those following this thread, I have two pieces of (hopefully!) useful info:

1. Amazon deal is still active (for double chocolate).
2. www.bodybuilding.com currently has a 30% off coupon (L30WINNER) - the 10 lb bag of ON 100% whey was $78, shipped to Colorado.

Enjoy!

Just tried the 30% coupon and it doesn't work. I've seen 10 and 15% deals but never 30%.

I saw that code elsewhere and immediatly tried ordering some things, but no go. I read somewhere that code was only for a select few, and like always it got released into the wild. Only difference is, BodyBuilding.com seems to monitor their orders a little more and pulled the code. I was quite bummed. o well, guess i'll be buying my protein 1 gal (milk) or 6oz (yogurt) at a time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014