• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
dzer0 said:   This might be a derpy question but when and why did whey get so expensive. I transitioned from BodyBuilding to cycling a few years ago (nice to be able to buy clothes that fit now) and haven't bought any for a long time.

Slow and steady price increases. I wish I could tell you the reason behind them, but there is no doubt that that prices have crept skyward.

If you can get a good deal on nonfat milk, it's about the same cost in terms of grams of protein/$. The only difference is that nonfat milk has a bit more sugar and other nutrients. This deal is roughly 43g/$ and nonfat milk is about 40g/$. Whey is a milk/cheese byproduct anyways. Just skip a few steps and have a tall glass.

Prices have increased over the last few years due to several reasons:
1. Use of grains for non-food purposes such as bio-Diesel has diverted crops that would be used to feed animals (and produce milk/whey)
2. Increased demand from China/India/Asia for milk products/beef as they are rapidly adjusting their diets to include a lot more of this than they used to
3. Significant droughts in grain growing areas reducing capacity (so food crops are now competing for bio-Diesel crops)
4. Market manipulation as buyers/sellers try to get th most from grains given the above conditions.

In short, they are not going down any time soon. Tha tis the same reason why poultry prices have risen so much recently, and larger animals (beef/sheep) are slowly increasing as well.

Didn't want to start a new thread / uproar, but for those following this thread, I have two pieces of (hopefully!) useful info:

1. Amazon deal is still active (for double chocolate).
2. www.bodybuilding.com currently has a 30% off coupon (L30WINNER) - the 10 lb bag of ON 100% whey was $78, shipped to Colorado.

Enjoy!

ashok37 said:   Didn't want to start a new thread / uproar, but for those following this thread, I have two pieces of (hopefully!) useful info:

2. www.bodybuilding.com currently has a 30% off coupon (L30WINNER) - the 10 lb bag of ON 100% whey was $78, shipped to Colorado.

Enjoy!

Just tried the 30% coupon and it doesn't work. I've seen 10 and 15% deals but never 30%.

got mine in. Tastes great!

Necromancer said:   ashok37 said:   Didn't want to start a new thread / uproar, but for those following this thread, I have two pieces of (hopefully!) useful info:

Enjoy!

Just tried the 30% coupon and it doesn't work. I've seen 10 and 15% deals but never 30%.

I saw that code elsewhere and immediatly tried ordering some things, but no go. I read somewhere that code was only for a select few, and like always it got released into the wild. Only difference is, BodyBuilding.com seems to monitor their orders a little more and pulled the code. I was quite bummed. o well, guess i'll be buying my protein 1 gal (milk) or 6oz (yogurt) at a time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.